visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

By Way of Introduction

Comments

• Eric,

If you should want to change your icon I believe it is possible. I think I have clicked on other members names to see their location and have seen an image other than their first posted one. Perhaps Karl A. or Brett will tell you how to switch icons. I just clicked on my name and saw there was a place to click on for "edit profile". Maybe that will work.

Later, Dave
  • Dave, I was referring to the add picture icon.

Some small changes on the poolroom today. The sign chain broke, and I decided it looked rather interesting that way. Thoughts?

IMG_8360 copy
  • Great looking lady, seedy looking companion...hehe...wonderful modeling...amazing brick work...I’d fix the sign...
  • Ken, these are the two kits:

IMG_8362
  • As to the lady, the truth is those pages are blank!
  • I really like the Railway Express Truck...not wild about the 1925 Ford, too spindly looking for my taste.
  • Ken, I have a few built ones. The pick up was always my favorite. Not sure an East Broad Top outside braced boxcar will fit your world, not that I know what your world is going to be. It could be lettered over, which is a look I like. I'm obsessed with things that show the passage of time and a sense of the story.

Here are some ARTY photographs of the poolroom inside that everyone except modelers like. The calendar is kind of cool because it hangs on a station wall about 10 minutes from our house.IMG_4216
    IMG_4298
    IMG_4328
    IMG_4364

IMG_4393
  • Nice work !!! You've got an eye for detail. Like it.
  • Holy cow, Eric. That stuff is amazing. The fading at the entryway on the tessellated floor, the flaking plaster on the wall....wow. And let me add,....wow.
  • edited August 2018
    Vinceg, that's because of spending too much of my teen years hustling pool across the US! But thanks, I understand the floor wear well. And the pool table cloth is something a hustler learns to read. Just from looking at that, i can assume what kind of players I am about to bet against. The table is a 1930-1950s Brunswick Gold Crown. A truly great table.
  • I was asked how I did the glass in the windows. I have found that the secret to good weathering is multiple very thin coats. Build things up over time. On the glazing material, it was simply very delicate scratches and some acrylic washes. About it.
  • edited August 2018
    If I was to do it over again, I think On30 would be the majority of my track work. You think you have narrow-gauge out of your system, and that it comes whacking back into your heart. Being from Maine, how can I resist these little engines? Cars coming soon. This line will share the docks with the standard gauge. I do love big steam passenger trains as well. Maybe even more.

Is it possible to post train videos?

IMG_5990
    IMG_6003
  • Robert, I see I have already put up one of my color pencil drawings to show Dave what a New England hot water radiator looks like. Here is one more. I've innovated a technique to use colored pencil instead of oil paint because after too many years of exposure to chemicals, my health has forced other options. My work over the last 5 years has been fundamentally about the passage of time as well has new ways to visualize the diptych. I've also been experimenting with the concept that light is actually a prism, which you can see clearly in the left high-intensity light (the mind is willing to accept something as real that most people do not visually perceive).

Mirrored Landscape for Lee Turner copy 3
  • Amazing stuff Eric. Your attention to fine detail is obvious and you have great depth to your work.
  • Ed, how would we survive without a sense of humor?
  • edited August 2018
    Can you delete posts completely?
  • You should be able to, but after our convo about editing I'm not so sure about a regular user.
    If you cant do it just PM me and I'll do it for you.

Karl.A
  • Karl, what is your favorite O-scale kit that is available? Do not include O'Neils or saw mill, since I have those. Finally had time to really look through both O'Neils today. Exactly as I always dreamed a kit could be. I might even get to like the smell of the still odiferous resign castings. Would LOVE to see more vehicles offered since I had to order some out of Russia just get anything actual scale. 1/43 diecast simply looks terrible on a 1/48th scale layout in my opinion.
  • edited August 2018
    ohhhh that's a tough one.... they all are.. ha.
    As I mentioned in the other thread, the Tool Shed will always be up there on my list, for the reasons I explained....

But, I guess I would have to say Bluesky… That incredible kit was a game changer, in many ways.

http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/92/304-o-scale-bluesky-company/p1

Karl.A
  • But, of course, the tool shed is no longer available, and I have no interest in buying on the secondary market, since I want to support Brett. If we do not support artists in their own time, they will not be able to continue creating the things that delight us. People should realize this.
  • Very well stated Eric,

Karl.A
  • This gas station still exists just like this in northern Maine. That is me relaxing in the sun a couple years ago. Both these building might be something Brett could work from, bringing a more Down East influence into pay. The B&W was taken in 1982 when I was riding freights. My favorite bar. Long gone.

DSC_0003 2
    IMG_1831
    IMG_1833
    IMG_1852
  • My Railroad as of late August. Bit by bit, right?

IMG_8612
    IMG_8613
    IMG_8614
    IMG_8621 2
    IMG_8624
    IMG_8625
    IMG_8626
  • Eric,

In regards to 1/48th scale vehicles, there are still some old Revell kits available if you go to swap meets.

Revell 1_48th Truck Kits r1

The scale of these trucks is pretty good. I have a few of each in my stash of kits to build for dioramas as needed. They work well for my modeling era since I am a transition era modeler (late steam to early diesel). The one downside to them, and the reason so many are available at swap meets, is that modelers have discovered that they don't have windshields. If you are interested I can tell you how to overcome that issue.

Revell 1950s Ford Pick-Up Truck Windshield cr1

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • edited August 2018
    I tried to buy a couple of these. Lee Turner used the gas truck to create my tow truck. The windshield is no issue. One guy made one out of clear tape.

105_0017
    105_0013
  • I would like to see and learn how a windshield for the Revel 1/48th scale Pick-up truck or 2 Ton Truck could be done out of clear tape as those windshields are not flat like the cab over tow truck's windshield. If any one could do it I suppose it would be Lee. I had to form a jig out of balsa (seen in my photo above) that fit the curves and bends of the Pick-Up truck's windshield opening and then draw/stretch a sheet of clear plastic over the jig using a vacuum forming machine. Sure wish I could find a much simpler way to do it. Suggestions about an easier way to form this sort of curved windshield are certainly welcome.

That Tow Truck is one very desirable and awesome vehicle for certain. You have a one of a kind model there to be cherished. But you already know that.

I can see that Tow Truck model being used in a diorama/scene (with the motorcycle cop and his motorcycle included with the Pick-Up Truck Kit) with the cop off his motorcycle writing a ticket and the tow truck backing up to a vehicle parked in a Tow Away Zone.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Dave, there are no cops in Sandy Harbor, Maine. You might find this odd, but there is a fishing town in Maine called, of all things, Friendship. Cops, basically, do no go there. Strangers do not last long. It is a very tough place where the people simply want to be left alone.
  • edited August 2018
    Finally connecting some lights on the railroad. Odd how exciting it is to see long-darkened buildings turn alive. Cheers! Tomorrow I have live street lights to plant. If anyone wants to see more photos, please ask. I feel like I'm posting in vacuum. I wrote a syndicated column in Maine for years, and I received so little feedback, I felt as if I was writing and publishing for no one. Turned out that wasn't true, but lack of response can feel defeating after a while.

IMG_8632 2
  • Beautiful work Eric and love the fire scene with the little shack and the dudes.
  • edited August 2018
    I understand your thoughts Eric, although I'm sure that at your time in writing in Maine for many years you probably couldn't guage how many readers you had, and that is why (for whatever reason that you didn't disclose) you ultimately found it not to be true.

You started this thread on the 12, its now the 23, as of now it's had 1100 reads as I'm sure you've noted..... that's 100 per day.... so, people are definitely looking.

One of the hardest things about forums and building them is participation.... many, many people view, read, admire, but only few actually respond, this is for many reasons.

People often say that " I didn't have anything constructive to add " …. without realizing that a simple
    "thanks for sharing" is very constructive to the morale of the original poster and motivation for them to post more.

It's an ongoing encouragement to get more readers to post, however, unfortunately "it is what it is".

I've personally learned to look more at the reads than the writes.

Now, get that SW build going and start a new thread.... !!!

Karl.A