visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

By Way of Introduction

Comments

• Been working on this truck. Don't the SW castings look good?

IMG_0002
    IMG_0003
    IMG_0004
    IMG_0015
  • Fantastic, love the first pic with the tools out on the flat bed. Color and weathering are wonderfully done.

...I would however, paint the windshield surround...hehe...
  • Looks great. Love the weathering on the hood.
  • Ken, the photos I found looked like this. Help me! Always up for learning.
  • Mesmerizing truck model. The colors are perfect ( I am really hooked on dark green vehicles) and your weathering very realistic as always. Yes, I agree the SWSM castings really help make the model seem even more realistic. Now you need to share some of your painting and weathering techniques.

Your postings on the forum are never disappointing and always inspiring.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • Thanks, Dave. I dreamt about the crow bars, so I added them to the bed. Boys might have needed them sliding on that box of scrap.

IMG_0017
  • Close up of tools. These casting are so cool!

IMG_9999
  • Ken, here is the photo I worked from. Would you interpret it differently? I Had real trouble finding source photos and for the life of me—where is the damn gas tank?

44038404_2278495332179599_8439985682989973504_o
  • Ken, I knew I built the frame too wide once it was glued in. Left it!

IMG_0015 copy

• Ken, I could slim the frame by sanding, but my reasoning is it was a homemade frame. New wood! As the bed was homemade as well. I'm building 5 of these trucks, all different. Next will be orange? Blue?
  • Eric,

I just bought a book about Mack AB trucks. The book has all black & white photos. There are a few photos that indicate that the gas tank was under the seat of all places. There are photos of truck models from about 1914-1929 and I didn't see any evidence of "side saddle" gas tanks (at least on the drivers side).

Mack AB Gas Tank 1.r.r.1

Mack AB Gas Tank & Chassis 1.r.r.1

Mack AB Seat & Chassis 1.r.r.1

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Dave, very cool. The truck I am modeling is a 1934 Ford.
  • New truck. This shows the crowbars well.

IMG_0138
  • Does anyone know how far these windshields folded out?

IMG_0288
  • And adding some Brett castings. Any logic to this truck?

IMG_0300
    IMG_0303
    IMG_0308
    IMG_0313
  • Logic, shmogic, it looks great.

George
  • Looks cool. Some chain tie-downs might add some interest.
  • My friend Lee T. figured her out. She spreads used oil on the dusty dirt backroads around Penobscot Falls! Now, what details besides straping down the tank with turnbuckles and bent rod would make her more real? And wood support underneath, and lots of oil over the ass end.

44971662_1762522467206960_6584608567586717696_o
  • Thanks, George! These are the guys from Penobscot Falls who work on the truck, etc.

Mainers
  • The two trucks using SW bits:

IMG_0326
    IMG_0330
    IMG_0332
    IMG_0333
    IMG_0334
  • Most excellent all the way around! Love the parted out door...
  • Eric,

These two trucks have their own unique personalities. They will make a great addition to any diorama. Keep em rolling out.

Later, Dave S.

• The two trucks from Penobscot Falls are about done. Just need to tie down the oil feed boiler. I'm thinking Randy would just lasso the thing with old rope off a schooner or lobster boat. Easy enough to borrow at night. Cheers, and thank you for your patience on these. Next one is in the works. And it is? Guess and you get a prize! Ask Nathan Lawson if I pay up. 1/48 scale modeling from the dark rainy Maine Coast!

• The two trucks from Penobscot Falls are about done. Just need to tie down the oil feed boiler. I'm thinking Randy would just lasso the thing with old rope off a schooner or lobster boat. Easy enough to borrow at night. Cheers, and thank you for your patience on these. Next one is in the works. And it is? Guess and you get a prize! Ask Nathan Lawson if I pay up. 1/48 scale modeling from the dark rainy Maine Coast!
  • Thanks. I sized them REALLY small but they still will not post.

• Love the trucks, great character. The detail add so much.
  • Thanks, Joel. My next one will be the most interesting, I hope. A delivery van for oysters and clams. Brett's boiler casting was too cool to just hide away. Do you remember them oiling dirt roads? My father called it "tar and feathering." Here is a photo of Randy and his brothers, just to give you an idea what real Mainers are like.

Mainers

The Mafia tried to take a bit of "trade" away from the boys during the early 1960s. So the boys took the New Jersey guys out lobstering on one of the Penobscot Falls boats. Thing is, they used them as bait.
  • Oysters and Clams! Can't wait to see that one.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • edited November 2018
    Randy ties it off.

I can make it the size of a postage stamp and it will not post. I am giving app. Cheers to all.