visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

BlueSky Company Warehouse HO/HOn3

Comments

• It is nice seeing the builds on Brett's older kits. This is a fantastic build with all the nitpicking details you have included. Very nice1 WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Hi Ken,

Superb job! I have been looking the pictures over and over. Everything color wise as well as mini scene, track, scenery is absolutely AWESOME. Is that a burn pile on the back side of Blue Sky? I really like the gas pump and the oil/grease tanks next to it. You certainly continue to grow as a modeler. Every build I think you can't get any better and then you do it again! Great job! Looking forward to any closeups you post.

Jim
  • Carl, thanks and the vines on the stone cook house aren't even the ones I wanted to show you...those will be coming up on the detail pictures.

Joel, appreciate that my good man. Nice hearing from you.

Steve, thanks much and with BlueSky done I will be studying your Scotia build even closer as that one may be my next project.

Mike, once again, I love the short and sweet!...thanks much.

Yo Wes, how have you been? Thanks for the kind words and know you appreciate this build of BlueSky in particular.

Thanks Robert, glad you're here on the forum and welcome your talents and insight.

Bill...what's up my friend and appreciate the thoughts here. I think of you and your O Scale Saw Mill project often. Was excited for you to see BlueSky...talk soon...

Hey Stephen, thanks for the support and encouragement.

Hi Jim, was hoping I would hear from you. I have the detailed pictures coming and thanks for the comments and comaradery over the years.
  • I'm now going to begin posting a few of the more detailed pictures starting with the north end of BlueSky...more later...

IMG_2814

Tried to get a reasonable close up of the main section of the loading dock. I was going to have a chair in front of the service window but it didn't look right. Mixture of Brett's group catings and individual stuff. Hand made the tar paper rolls.

IMG_2859

Another view taking in the entire loading dock.

IMG_2922

Dry Goods and Service Island. Note the air hose with the steel line coming from the building and the water spicket. To the right of the door is a chair with a folded newspaper and a newspaper bundle on the ground for sale in the store.

IMG_2855

Service Island and view around the side of the Dry Goods store. Can see the metal air line coming in better here.

IMG_2920

Side view looking west.

IMG_2946

View of the details populating this side of the store.

IMG_2944

Good shot of the electrical service connection from the line pole.

IMG_2928

Close up of the service pole...lots of fiddly connections here.

IMG_2921

The small details that make an overall impression. Clutter and junk around the base of the service pole and junk along the steel pipe fence. No trash pick-up here!

IMG_2941

More of same....next up will be the details of the stone cook house and others...
  • Just keeps getting better, Ken!
    The power lines are probably the most accurate I've seen modeled. Twisting the two wires together is, I think, what sells it. Did you use ship rigging thread or something else?
    Okay...back to look again!
  • Terrific as always...but what happened to the pick-up truck?!
  • What a treat to see all those beautifully weathered details! Lots of memories for me...
  • A fine job indeed. I always enjoy your scene composition.
  • Ken, I know that you aren't big on using LP on your dioramas. But it would look really interesting if you added them and to see what you would do with them on this fantastic diorama. I think that it would really bring it alive.
  • Steve. It is Sunday the store is closed and everyone is in church...............Carl
  • Bill, see below...thanks buddy.

Thanks Alan. Right, the pick-up truck I had staged at the crane scene was taken from my O'Neills diorama and put there to get an idea of the traffic flow. The bed of the truck had details already glued down that wouldn't have worked for the scrapping scene on BlueSky. I plan to build another truck or two and have then on BlueSky along with a flatbed rail car for the EXPO.

Appreciate that Brett and I set out building BlueSky hoping it would be a worthy testament to SierraWest Scale Models and bring back fond memories of late nights and all the time and expense you put into this kit before you realized a single penny...we all know how that went....well done!

Bryan, thanks so much and I do work hard on creating believable and interesting scenes within the context of the build...with varying success.

Stephen, I hear ya my friend. I have struggled with this issue since I built my first SWSM kit. I'm easing into it of sorts. I mentioned somewhere along the way on this thread that I was going to include one LP in my dioramas from here on out. The LP will be in an unassuming spot and only one for now. A "where's Waldo" kind of thing as you'll have to hunt for it. There is one in BlueSky.
  • Bill. I'm thrilled regarding your comment about the service pole and line. That's the kind of detail that you work hard at but sometimes goes unnoticed. There was a good bit of pre-planning that went into constuction and installation of that project...

First the electrical box was cut down from a longer rectangular box to the one you see. Then I laid out where the various circuit lines would come in and out of the box. Holes were drilled to the appropriate size in the box, four total I believe. The main service line attached with clamps to the siding is an approprioate diameter piece of solder rolled a bit flat under my blade handle then scoured and painted to look like heavy cloth covered cable. The weather hood is a thin piece of etched metal roofing tin cut and bent to shape and size. I wouldn't have room to connect the power lines to the weather hood if I mounted the cable and hood to the structure first and ran the lines from the pole. So I reversed the order. With the main cable and weather hood in my hand I attached two very thin pieces of FINE EZ Line with glue under the hood cut longer than needed to reach the pole. I then glued the cable with hood, one end into the top of the electrical box and the other to the siding as you see. The two lines were then just looped up over the roof out of the way. The other circuits were attached to the box with the main power keaving under the box into the structure and one going to the light at the service island and another to the old light fixture above the Dry Goods sign. I then attached an eye bolt to the siding at the weather hood for the support cable from the pole to attach. The support cable was made from .008 Ship Rigging Rope as you thought, which was bigger than the two electrical lines already attached under the hood. This cable was also attached to the eye bolt on the structure first. This allowed the ability to attach the other end to an eye bolt on the pole and take up the excess until just the right amount of sag was achieved then glued. The two thinner electric lines were then twisted over the support cable up to the pole and the ends attached to the transformer. Geesh....windy...sorry you asked about the cable??
  • The following pictures are progressing around the back of BlueSky.

IMG_2851

Wonderful stone cookhouse casting Brett developed with seamless corner joints...simply marvelous casting.

IMG_2896

Of note here, I decided rather than construct the stairs into the cookhouse out of stripwood, I would use stone. the ground level stone was burried flush with the ground and the ground made to appear as its creeping over the stone. Galvanized wash basin is just a cut down metal barrel bottom. The blue thingy is a coffee pot and the drain pipe coming out the side was an idea given me by Karl. Awesome suggestion.

IMG_2830

This is the corner where the water tank overflow and outdoor plumbing leaks all come together. You may remember the in progress pictures of the rotted siding at the bottom of this corner.

IMG_2899

Little steeper shot showing the erosion in the back corner. I laid in a couple of pieces of plaster cast to simulate the foundation just peeking through.

IMG_2909

South side of the main barn and details.

IMG_2908

More of same.
  • Ken, this is just unbelievable !!! Everything is so real looking. What a joy to sit here and look at this wonderful modeling over and over. The photos are perfect as is the modeling. Wow what talent. Thanks so much for sharing!! Best to you,

Geezerbill
  • Awefully nice of you Bill, thanks. Really made my day. Hope not too many pictures as I move to the storage shed...

IMG_2913

Arial shot of the storage shed and yard scene.

IMG_2895

I added the extended back roof to house the details you see here.

IMG_2916

Burn pile where scarp wood and pallets are taken care of.

IMG_2893

Shot of the details under the roof.

IMG_2918

There Carl, the vines growing up the side of the shed.

IMG_2894

More details, and path leading around to the front of the service yard.

IMG_2869

Better view of the vines.

IMG_2865

Back corner showing the elevated storage tank and fence detail.

IMG_2833

IMG_2864

IMG_2910

IMG_2881

Elevated oil tank and details.

IMG_2932

Large spanner is not glued down as I'm deciding if its a bit big. Used for the oil drum tops.

IMG_2842

IMG_2907
    IMG_2911

IMG_2935

IMG_2915

Last picture unless someone would like to see something specific......thanks for checking it out.
  • Ken, I keep on looking and admiring your pics/work. I can't find any more superlatives to say how awesome I think this is. Thanks for sharing so much talent with us man.
  • You bet Robert, So gratifying to share this stuff with those that really appreciate it, and you're one of those! Thank you so much...
  • Steve, Notice in the picture how this material is NOT really dirt but misc. small aggregate and debris. Perfect for that top layer. Then you can sprinkle on some ground foam or whatever else you want.

IMG_2953
  • KKarns said:

Geesh....windy...sorry you asked about the cable??

Well, of figured it was an intricate process (not to the extent you described!). The results speak for themselves and certainly justify the means.

I'm gonna have to see it first hand to fully grasp the method. But, in a nutshell, you wrapped two thin EZ-line strands around a ship rigging thread (which is the heavy support cable from the pole to the building) correct?
  • when i saw the little guy standing back but visible in the window it was like a hitchcock movie flashback. awesome modeling ken, front to back, east to west, every square centimeter is absolutely beautiful. what is that material in paw up there?
  • Hi Ken, That is not the point of having just one LP on your diorama. The proper LP will complete the story that your diorama telling. Right now this beautiful diorama looks abandoned.
  • Correct you are Bill.

Thanks Kevin I appreciate that. Was wondering if anyone would wonder about the fist full of dirt! Steve C. and I were discussing the dirt I use for my dioramas and told him about what I use for my top layer and told him I'd post a picture to get the idea of what it looked like.

Stephen, the issue of LPs in a diorama is certainly a debated topic. Some modelers use them to good effect and other times it kills the reality in a hurry if not very well done. I don't have the confidence in detailing figures to attempt to populate my work with them.
  • ken,
    if it isn't dirt, what is it and where is it available?
  • Ken, so much to see and enjoy! Just remarkable. Have to remind oneself that this is HO Scale.

The use of scale figures or Little People (LP's) in a diorama is one of those details some modelers like and others dislike. I believe that there is not a correct decision in regards to LP's. Add them if you like, omit them if you like! Just remember to enjoy the journey.
  • edited February 2018
    Ken,

Thanks for posting all the additional photos. Man, the detailed scenes are Fantastic!

Some observations:

1 - You nailed the vines growing up the side of the buildings. That is very difficult to get them to look just right without looking fake and ruining the scene.

2 - The oil spots around your fuel tank are just perfect. Again, a very difficult thing to model.

3 - That metal roof on the shed and stone building. Its really difficult to get that nice dull and blended look that you achieved in this build.

4 - The stacked wood at the back of the Stone building is perfect...oh, and your bushes are perfect. Heck man, I could rattle on for a day about everything that you nailed perfect on this build.

Only complaint is I didnt see any pictures of the inside of the repair shed...it looks like there are a ton of neat details that I'm sure everyone would like to see..

Thanks again for sharing your masterpiece with us...

Alan
  • edited February 2018
    Dang Brett...your kits have the unique atrribute of sucking the best work out of all who build them! It's a feeling we can all relate to and here I sit on a saturday afternoon already feeling anxious about not having A SWSM project in the works!

Alan, wow, such a nice critique I really appreciate the scrutiny and comments. I highly value your opinion my friend. You're right about the shed. I knew I wouldn't be able to get a good close up once the fence and crane were in place so I posted pictures of the finished interior earlier in the build thread here. I have attach a couple of the pictures here again.

Hey Kevin. Well here's how it went...I wasn't happy with just dirt layer upon dirt layer to get the look I wanted. So I therorized that my gravel drive to my cabin I have in the woods would have fine material that sifted down through the bigger rocks that wasn't dirt but fine pulverized rocks and debris. I took my sifter and rough sifted that material and then sifted that a bit finer and it was perfect...it had little bits of wood, dead leaves, fine rocks, etc...so if you look close at the picture of the handful of the material you'll see this stuff. Sand was just too uniform for my taste as is other store bought material. The key for me was all the various "crap" that sifted through which would be hard to duplicate but is there for the taking. I should bag it and market it as Dr. Grung's "crap layer" !

IMG_2303

18SA0VLN09YK

IMG_2191
  • thanks for the description of dr, grunge's "crap layer". the ground here is still pretty frozen, but i think i have an idea where i can acquire something real close.
  • Simply wonderful Ken. You never disappoint. I can't say enough how I enjoy your work. Truly a piece of fine art.
  • No problem Kevin, let me know if you like it.

Gee wiz Ed, I'd like to see what your building if you need that much!

Dustin, nice hearing from you my friend and thanks much. Hope to see you at one of the shows this year, for sure I'll be going to the EXPO.
  • edited February 2018
    Ken,

I love the coloring on your stonework for the cookhouse. The stones come to life with the different shades embodied within each of the stones. I will have to refer back to this when I have stone to color in a future project.