visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

BlueSky Company Warehouse HO/HOn3

Comments

• Thanks Bill, your take on things is always refreshing and insightful. Look forward to hooking up at the Expo.
  • Ken,

I am envisioning tools shelves and lots of stuff on those walls. What an opportunity you have to really detail this amazing structure.

Jim
  • edited September 2017
    Hi Jim, me to!...the entire storage shed scene is a detailers dream. So many possibilities and once the fence is up to define the area it will really come together. May incorporate some of the O Scale design ideas for the shed. The O Scale version is available here on the SWSM web-site and is a gorgeous kit. As Brett so appropriately recommends, I will be detailing the shed interior before installing the corrugated roof, thus allowing unobstructed access for detail placement. I'll burn some serious modeling time hovering over this area! It really balances out the main BlueSky building complex, another example of the top notch planning by Brett which we have come to take for granted.
  • You are right Ken. That little shed has endless possibilities...even as a stand-alone structure.
  • Good point Bryan. Good example of why I (we) spend much time thinking and planning. If I modeled the first thing that came to mind I would have regretted it numerous times as I alweays seem to go through several senarios before deciding on the final one.
  • Small update to BlueSky. Planted the storage shed and put in the wood planked floor with the dividing wall, other side is a packed dirt floor. Notice the floor "wear/weathering" except along the walls. Mulling over the details to populate the shed.

IMG_2125

IMG_2117A
  • Looks fantastic in place ken. I can't wait to get home and study it on a big screen.

Karl. A
  • edited September 2017
    Thanks Karl and appreciate you checking it out and for the feed-back. Always nice to know you're on the right track.

Reached a milestone of sorts. With the completion of the loading dock, I have finished all the actual structure work save for the roof of the shed which won't be put on until all the details are put inside and a couple of fences. Now all the scenic and detail work begins...

IMG_2157

Keeping with the "Dr. Grunge" persona, the loading dock is well used and abused. The lighter "dust and dirt" that would accumulate along the corners and edges is in place and I will remove the spots in front of the barn doors a bit.

IMG_2159

Initial layer of dirt has been applied under the loading dock only as this needed to be put down before the deck boards were placed.

IMG_2161

Close up shot of the wood floor in part of the shed...grungy once again. This area will be an active work area with a couple of working machines...not sure yet which ones.
  • Nice work Ken. .............
  • Superb. Now comes all the fun little details but the structure is amazing so you have a place to build from. Looks like you're getting the hang of it! Hope it's done for the Expo as I'd love to see it in person.
  • Awesome look to those floor boards...
  • Thanks Carl.

Right you are Joel, ready to shift gears a bit and get into detailing mode. Im keeping at it and hope the time and effort pays off...we'll see. I'll make you a deal...you bring O'Neills and I'll bring BlueSky to the EXPO regardless if they are done or not!...I for one would love to see builds in progress displayed at the show.

Appreciate that Alan.
  • "Builds in Progress "...I believe, create a lot of discussion amongst modellers....
  • Thanks Ed.
  • Excellent, looks like so many old barns I have photographed... Very illustrative of the joys of board on board modeling!
  • Thanks much Brett. My favorite part of working up one of your kits is that very thing!
  • IMG_2159

Brett got me all fired up about the board-on-board modeling that are a staple with SWSM Kits, I just had to post a better picture of the loading dock just completed. I noticed my handle on one of the doors has been knocked off...gee wiz...
  • Just amazing. I love the faded sign. More than legible but obviously hand painted and fading. Also the darkness on the deck boards is perfect.
  • Thanks Joel...the "stenciling" of the signage was take a deep breath and have at it as there was no turning back! I was thrilled at how it turned out, such a visible and center point of the diorama it just had to be right. The deck boards gave me a bit of angst, as I wanted a bit of contrast from the barn color and more towards the grey, but not too much of a stark contrast. My first go was no good as the dock boards were too light, so I darkened them up and hit with the results here. Each board was lightly sanded on the edges to round them a bit to simulate wear and gavesthe nice light colored edges for contrast. Did you break my door handle off??..
  • How did you stencil on the letters? Obviously a tiny amount of paint, but did you go back them with your little sanding stick or one of those fiberglass brushes? Or...did you just NAIL it on the first attempt?
    Continues to be awesome, Ken.
    Love how the area right above the freight doors and below the upper doors have that stark gray tone from where the water collects. Great little detail modeled perfectly!
  • Hi Ken,

The weathering on the building is fantastic look for an old beat up barn. It lives up to the Dr. Grunge's reputation. But, who is maintain the doors on their hinges?
  • Well that looks terribly run down and abused. Just how we like it Ken.

Brilliant work Bud
  • I mocked up a similar wall section to try it on. Once confident with the right brush, right amount of paint, right amount of pressure, right amount of coverage, etc...I did the wall and got what you see here. Great that you noticed that detail on the doors and as you know, you do those details and not sure if it will be noticed but very refreshing when it is! Thanks much Bill.

Thanks Stephen, not sure what you are referring to on the door hinges?

Appreciate it Wes.
  • For an old beat up building, the doors look like they are hung perfectly on there hinges and operating smoothly. Somebody must be maintain them.
  • Some things I'm particular about and doors and windows are one of them! Old and weathered but straight and true...
  • Stephen, the old chap that keeps an eye on that kind of thing is already planted in the diorama...you just have to try and find him!
  • But Ken, does that live up to your image of Dr. Grunge?
  • Very true Stephen...goes aginst the grain just a bit but BlueSky is a viable working facility just looks like everybody went home...! I guess I haven't really modeled anything quite so dilapitated that I felt windows and/or doors should show the level of neglect.

Ed, as above...so that must mean you've been neglected!
  • well said...
  • Gonna jump in here.... if Ken doesn't mind...

A door purposefully modeled slightly out of square stands out instantly to a viewer, as does a window.
    99% of people don't realize that it was done purposefully, especially if you do it realistically, 99% of people look at it and think that the modeller couldn't glue a door on straight, and so judge it down as per bad work.

They don't look at the rest of the dilapidated structure and realize WHY the door isn't square, they just see a badly glued on door.

Very few understand the depth that some go to, and even fewer appreciate it.

Karl.A