visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

BlueSky Company Warehouse HO/HOn3

Comments

• Not sure what happened to my post...tank looks Great Ken. In my last post that “magically disappeared”, what material did you use for the grate?
  • Ken,
    Thanks for recognizing me on the tank platform and you showing your excellent rendition of same.
    Now since Ed has made his statement above, I guess he has pushed me over the cliff! I will be posting my rendition of Blue Sky Co, soon, in a new thread. Thanks Ed, you sure are a charmer!
    Rich
  • Ed,
    Although this thread is Ken's, there's no need to explain my "redeeming qualities " to him or anyone else.
    Now folks, here's the prime example of an individual who pokes fun on a series of threads, yet never shows us what he builds. Now I wonder why that is? I really don't believe it is because he doesn't have anything to build, as he has over three hundred kits! So Ed, show us what the gifted modeler from Florida can do.
    I joined this forum to see what real modelers display and since that time have seen many excellent threads. And I see some great tips to utilize in my own modeling. Before I retired, my modeling time was very limited, but even now it still is. I take pride in myself for trying out new things and seek advice from more experienced modelers, and most of what I read or see has been very enlightening. I also have yet to post a model on this forum, but haven't yet due to it being time consuming to do so, but now, I might. Thanks for the push, Ed, and the introduction.
    Rich
  • I love the look of this whole scene Ken, but, I keep going back and looking at that corrugated roof, superbly done. The whole effect is perfect.

IMG_2480

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl, really missed you at the EXPO. I know it was a very long way for you to make the trip but its just wasn't the same without you there. Much discussion centered around you and your wonderful modeling...talk soon.
  • Thanks Ed and Alan for the thoughts. No problem Rich loved the idea.
  • Love the creativity and execution on your platform, Ken! Simple and very practical. Adds a little "Ken Karns" personalization to a Sierra West classic.
    Well done!
  • Ken,
    Another superb model. I've been following on and off. The oil tank platform is superb. I think I noticed a trend with you. And it is a good one I might take into account when I get back upstairs on my engine shed today, is that you take each individual part of a model, whether a single wall, or single detail, and make just that an individual model in it's own right. I think that is what makes everything look so fantastic when it all comes together. You focus on one small item at a time, and make the very best of each one before moving on. That is, in my opinion, an excellent way to model, and you seem to have mastered it.

I have 3 Blue Sky models; an HO and O scale kit from Brett (still in their boxes though), and a scratchbuilt model I did many years ago. I thought, with your, and Brett's, permission, I would post a few pictures of my scratchbuilt one. It was changed in a few ways to do it a little different, but the flavor is still there. I called it Rusty's Salvage after Rusty Rails castings, as I used quite a few of his. It has been posted on the RRLine forum a few times, so you might have already seen it.
  • Really digging that tank and platform Ken.

That scene is really going to be a stunner when done.
  • Ed, the steps and walkway was fashioned from styrene and is used by several manufacturers for walkways on top of freight cars and such. Surgery of course was required before suitable for my application.

Thanks Bill, it was one of those situations where I was anxious to try the look and this Oil Tank project of Brett's for BlueSky lent itself perfectly.

Well stated Tony! that's exactly how I go about a project like this. The oil tank here is a perfect example. I treat it as you mentioned as a model itself and the surrounding area a "mini-scene" of sorts. The corner where this tank will be planted will be completely sceniced and detailed before moving on to the next, and so on, keeping in mind the overall diorama plan. I have a mental image of about half a dozen more major scenes to detail and plan out. Next is the metal scrapping area...hmmm...

Gald to hear you're down with the tank and platform concept Wes. I have it staged in place and mulling the details over and it "feels" right...you know what I mean...sometimes you have an idea and you put it together and it just doesn't quite "feel" right...I'm kind of that way right now on my next project here the metal scrapping scene...oh...wait a minute it's coming to me...elevated concrete pad, weathered grungy of course, a small but purposeful crane...but it will have to be able to swivel 180 degrees...hmm...I got this...more later. Ken
  • Hello Ken,
    Hope you don't mind, but I would like to show the tank you gained your inspiration from. I need to finish up mine with a railing.
    Rich

• edited December 2017
    No problem Rich and it made sense to me to have a railing. Looks good.
  • edited December 2017
    It has been a good while since I have posted progress on BlueSky. I have been working, with much thought and mulling over of things. Brett's concept for a small metal scrapping scene outside the shed is being expanded on here with a concrete pad and crane to both unload and load rail cars and trucks with scrap metal and other goods. The pad was made from ceramic plaster and the crane is a SWSM metal casting with the hoist gear and platform assemblies scratch built from styrene, etc. Cold and dreary today with no sun so the pics are a bit washed out but you get the jist of things...

IMG_2595

IMG_2593

The following is a pic that I did take the other day outside with some sun...

IMG_2581

The following is a good excuse to go O Scale!...I'm now working on the track detail and scratch made 16 rail joiners from styrene strip and NBWs. That's some small detail work...

IMG_2607
  • Just finished up installing the rail joiners. Now on to making and installing 348 rail spike heads!

IMG_2611
  • Outstanding!! Logical and practical concept executed like a pro!
    I see no slack in your cables (as it should be since it's supporting a heavy load) and the crane itself is just beautiful. Grungy wood with the rivet plates still visible and aged appropriately.

The joint bars add perfect punctuation. I feel bad for your poor eyes! They've been put to the test with the construction of all these details.

Well done, buddy
  • Amazing attention to detail. Great work as always.
  • Amazing! Beautiful detail work.

Jerry
  • Looking great Ken.

I really like the joint bars and the shot of the overall scene taken in sunlight. It's going to be really interesting to see how you create and place additional details to complete the scene.
  • Ken. Your work is top shelf you inspire all of us. ....Carl
  • I try not to be a slacker there Bill!...thanks for noticing. That crane of Brett's just worked perfect in this situation and that casting has been a very versatile piece for Brett. It is a light duty crane and didn't overpower the scene and has that dated look matching the era I'm modeling. Right, those track details do test my close work ability and painfully repeatative even for just 24 inches of track!

Thanks Joel, always admire your work and value your critique.

Appreciate that Jerry, it's all in the details as they say. At least I try and go with that philosophy to varying degrees of success...

Thanks for you input Brian and I probably should have waited to get a few more pictures in the sun as the others just don't quite capture the proper feel as the one you mention. Following the joint bars...did I mention glueing down 348 rail spike heads!...fun,fun.
    The remainder of this scene is being mentally developed as we speak...Thanks again.

Thanks Carl, I'm really enjoying what builds are going on here on the forum. You and I tackling a couple of the classics and others working up the latest and greatest...now that's SierraWest Scale Modeling at it's finest!
  • The scene looks Awesome! Nice work on that truck!

Alan
  • Ken that crane looks great. You picked the perfect size for the scene. I second Bills comments about the cable slack, it looks like the load has weight to it.

How did you color the concrete? It looks great.

-Steve
  • Thanks Alan. That truck won't be the one used in the final scene as the material in the bed is glued down. I stole it from my O'Neills diorama just to see how a truck would look.
  • Appreciate that Steve and was wondering about you! Hope all is well and trust you're busy getting ready to post your next SWSM build here...

I primed the plaster with a wash of watered down SWSM/Reaper "Dirty Grey". This was followed by alternating between "Earth" and "Concrete" which was stimpled on creating a blotchy covering giving the yellowish aged concrete look. I then hit it with some AI and when dry some dark chalk to highlight the cracks and such.
  • Hey there Ken!! The crane, truck, concrete pad, and track just amazing. I really like the story you are setting up. Looking back, the tractor and the scene there just really compliments the whole diorama. Congratulations on your modeling at the Expo this year. Merry Christmas!

Jim
  • Thanks Jim and things are beginning to gel with the back story here. So many mini scenes within this one diorama. At the north end, as you know, is a dry goods and small gas station of sorts (single pump, etc..) Can't wait to get back to that. Just completed a project on the backside of the shed that should prove interesting...more on that later.

We have all missed you of late Jim!...so glad to see your still perusing things here. Would love to see you at the next EXPO in Albany, NY...I'm making plans now as I missed out staying at the convention hotel in Altoona, but we still got a nice room close by. Keep in touch...Ken
  • I like that jib a lot. I'm going to have to build one of those.
  • Thanks Bryan, it did fit in perfectly to what I was putting together.
  • Finally finished installing the 348 simulated rail spikes. The main track detailing is now complete with fine tuning consisting of oil spills, track clutter, crossings, etc. to come.

IMG_2643
  • Wow.... incredible...