visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

BlueSky Company Warehouse HO/HOn3

1161718192022»

Comments

• Doctor Grunge, I was sitting in a shoe store this afternoon while my wife was trying on shoes and I was admiring your model on my phone.

The wall of the shed in the 7th picture on the February 23 post is a perfect blend of wood rot and pealing paint that does not show up in other pictures. I noticed the tops of the fences are so dry they are turning to driftwood. Your floors are always so uniquely well done I can always tell it's a Ken Karns model.

Looking forward to your next build.
  • So many favourite parts to this build. But 1 that really stands out for me, is the boards forming a small bridge running over the eroded soil by the stone structure.

Just love the cleverness of such a small yet important detail. I would never have thought to do something like that.
  • Thanks Stephen, that cookhouse casting was a real treat to work with and adds such a nice contrast to the other structures. Once again, leave it to Brett to have the rear of a kit looking as good as the front. I think the key to stone work is the shadowing and as you mention, shades of subtile color to bring out the detail.

I'm thrilled when I get responses like yours Mitch, your attention to details and comments on subtile but important aspects of a build is what makes this forum the best resource and source of fine craftsman modeling anywhere. I thank you for your comments and kind words. The wall on the shed your referring to had me doing a couple of things a bit different and it worked well. I first assembled the wall with the wood weathered and detailed but no white peeling paint. I wanted to get the weathering effect where the paint is more visible and less weathered under the eaves and more weathered below. I painted the finished wall and then weathered and peeled the paint where I wanted. The second thing I did, which doesn't show as well in the picture, was to create warped boards along the bottom like is often prototypical. I glued small pieces of wood along the sill plate so when I glued a piece of siding on the bottom would stick out (see attached picture). Thanks again Mitch and appreciate your thoughts.

Hey Wes. Oh my, I must refer you to what I said about Mitch above which goes for you as well my friend!...That whole corner was planned early on and meant to look like a low area that would frequently get water build up and then resead. The foot "bridge" of sorts was to sell the illusion that although there's no water there now...when there is...I won't get wet and muddy! Love the fact you noticed this.

IMG_1971
  • Hey there Master of the Wood! Thank you for the great comment I definitely have enjoyed our camaraderie. How couldn't you enjoy Brett's great kits? They bring the best modeler out of everyone. Everyone is here for you. You have added so much to everyone's ability to improve their modeling from the wonderful and masterful instructions and kits that Brett designs!

The scenery is awesome and so many details. I really like the story of the burn piles and burn drum. The vine is awesome on the stone house. All the details in the shed. I could go on and on..........

So Dr. Grunge what's on your plate for the next build. You should teach a class at the Expo this year!

Jim
  • Well hey Jim...I as well my friend! Not sure everyone would agree but I certainly am moved by your thoughts here. This is such a great group of modelers and am honored to be amongst you all. Well Jim, if I stay true to form I will be looking at Brett's release after BlueSky which would be Scotia Supply. I don't think I'll be starting that right away as Steve is in the middle of his fine build of the same kit. I will also jump in with a fever when the Foundry is released. My goal is to build, in order, the oldest and newest of Brett's kits. Hmm...EXPO, well that's an invitation kind of thing and don't hear much from those folks...you guys are way more fun to play with anyhow!

• Very nice walls. Exactly how I like them. Great work man..
  • Thanks Robert, appreciate that.
  • Fantastic work. This is one of many ideas I will certainly lift from your work. I still haven't found enough time to go over the detailed pictures in depth. Not sure if I will ever find enough time.
  • Nice diorama, Ken. Glad you shared the pictures, thanks.

Rich
  • Welcome.
  • Well thanks much Ed, appreciate that and back at ya with the comradery and support you have given me and all the great members of this forum...well played Ed.
  • Ken...I'm late to the starting gate but I've been reading thru your BlueSky build and as usual I'm amazed at your modeling skills...the 'rotted wood' corner, the stone masonry wall finish of the Cookhouse...well done, buddy.

Two questions...what material did you use for the screen door/screened window? and what is a source of the exposed plumbing fittings used at the Barn/Warehouse?

At the risk of repeating myself, Well Done
    Terry
  • Terry if you look at a lint screen from a close dryer it just may be what you are loo.king for. Carl........
  • Terry,

I have used the material they use for silk screening for screen on doors etc. on my projects
  • Hi Terry, well thanks much my friend...that was a very special build for me. As you know it was Brett's first kit he ever produced and I set out to incorporate the current modeling techniques on a kit that started the SWSM legacy. From the beginning, despite the kit being over 20 years old, it built like it was brand new. That's the first kit that I started "hiding" in plain site a LP. Thought it would be fun to see if anyone noticed. I'm sending you a PM...thanks again Terry, you have been a welcome contributor here on the forum and I enjoy your critique and camaraderie...Ken.

• Terry,
    Ken's builds are all educational. I found that I actually added his name to every Word Document title so I could quickly find them grouped together!
    Bill
  • Want to bump this up to the top for our newest members to enjoy!
  • Thanks Brett for bringing this up again. I never tire of seeing Ken's marvelous dioramas. I go over them again and again and see his creative work and techniques. I always come away with new ideas to try to remember to incorporate into my dioramas.
  • Ken, as always your workmanship far exceeds. Love the added detail!
    Just thought I'd share what I found at the Orange County Calif Train show this weekend.
    They asked for $175 and we got it for $150. And in perfect condition.

Brett, is this your first kit?

bluesky3
  • You lucky guy
  • Hey Pappy, I agree what a great buy and a great kit. I paid three and half times that for my BlueSky kit and was happy to do it! I did get one that was still in the shrink wrap if I remember correctly.
  • Thanks guys!
    Ken, you paid three and half times? I feel lucky now :).
    It will be awhile when I start on this kit and when I do I will follow your excellent build here and follow all the great comments here from others.
    Working on another SW kit and waiting on Bretts new RiverFront to be released.
    Again, your work is far beyond excellent.
  • Well thank ya sir!...seriously...when I decided to start looking for BlueSky I scoured the secondary market for a good while before spotting the kit I got. I would have to look back in my paperwork but know I paid handsomely for the opportunity to get that kit still in shrink wrap. You got a great deal. Let me know when you get into that kit, I would love to follow along..Ken
  • Thanks Ken...will keep you posted.
    Have a question on stain/paint you used on this build.
    Have been using all chalk for staining on my current SW builds and Reaper paints and some Craft paints.
    This kit has suggested using Floquil Paint and we all know is not available.
    I will figure it out based on my current SW builds.
  • Brett offered Blue Sky as a 25th anniversary special last Dec. I snarfed one up right away before they were all gone, and it arrived earlier this week. I built one several years ago when it was being offered as the limited kit without the strip wood. It's still one of my favorite SW kits.