visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Welcome to the Off-Topic Forum!

Comments

• Hi Guy's
    Can someone tell me the size of a O scale tie I want to lay some down on the rigging shed.
    Thank's Carl
  • Thank You Ed I only need to make about a dozen or so.
    Carl
  • Carl, I bought 1,000 from Fast Tracks as I wanted to try hand laying on an O scale diorama I am starting. I would be more than happy to send you plenty if you want them. If so send me your address and info in a private message to me here on the forum.
  • Ed, I would love to meet you on Labor Day but I always go hiking with my young (12) Grandson or camping with the whole families. Thanks anyway!!
  • And Carl, yes its going to be really hard for anyone to beat NE. I really think it will be GB and NE in the big one. Maybe the Cowboys. All depends on who can stay healthy and has the best backups.
  • There are a lot of good teams out there staying healthy is the key to winning.
  • Hi Everyone
    I am going to post a few pictures of the Rigging Shed before I put the ground cover on.P1010467
    P1010470
    P1010479
    P1010476

If they are in the wrong place let me know and any remarks will help.
    Carl
  • The spool holder is a nice extra touch.
  • Carl, beautiful work. I also like the spool holder and the cabinet door leaning against the shed wall is great. The wood color tone is amazing. I would like to know what/how you achieved that. Very nice!

Geezerbill
  • Great work Carl, everything looks wonderful. Such great work on the wood. You should start a build thread to get all this in one place. It is O Scale isn't it?
  • Ed The last one is the most accurate to the color.
    Bill I just used the chalk that Brett calls for in the manual.
    Ken It is O scale the first and the last.
  • I really have to hand it to you fellows doing HO!!! That stuff is so small. I love all the details that are visible in a 1/1 view in O scale. Lot less eye strain. But my hat is off to all the HO modelers here for such outstanding workmanship.

Carl, I just love that wood color tone. I'm going to have to check the manual again on mine to see what Brett called for and why I didn't achieve that color. Wonderful work!

Geezerbill
  • Bill it is O scale.
  • Thanks for posting these Carl. Excellent work as usual. Love the cable reels on the rod/saw horses!
  • Thank's everyone I hope to get the ground cover done tomorrow.
  • Ed When Andy Reed was with Phila he could never win the big one close but no cigar.
  • ED We have white grass this morning.
  • Ed, Carl, we had 16 degrees at 8am when I went to the Y today. Still have frozen snow at my place from a week ago. Sun melts some off in sunny spots. Cold coming to an end and rain again in a day or two. Hawks may have rain tomorrow. My hiking haunts on Mt. Rainier are getting lots of snow!! May have to go to the Pacific Crest Trail again in northern Cailf. this summer instead.

Geezerbill
  • To keep the boredom down I have made some trees for my layout. Tried a different approach this time. I'll post a pic soon. Like the color tones of our strip wood, tree construction is very subjective. Mostly, I try to model old growth Douglas Fir. Below is a picture of one such tree I discovered on a little used 14 mile trail a few years ago in Mt. Rainier Nat'l Park. I guesstamate it is 8-10 in Dia. No telling how tall but likely 250-300 ft. There are two of these monsters side by side. They are likely to be well over a thousand years old. To model them would take a dowel 2 1/2" dia and 75" high. Now to me that wouldn't look right on a layout. I did make four for the layout with 1 1/8" dia and 24 " tall. Pic to follow.

Guys, please way in on this subject. Thanks,

GeezerbillRESIZEDIMG_2324

Here's the larger tree of those I made for the layout.
    IMG_2511
  • Whoops, sorry Brett, I forgot to resize the second pic of the trees.

Geezerbill
  • Bill can you take a shot further away it is hard to tell from that angle, I am sure that they will be just fine you have seen the real thing.
    That is one huge tree there are they your hiking partners?
    Carl
  • I like big trees. Especially for a backwoods camp like you have here. The biggest on my layout that looks natural has a 8' diameter. I tried a 15' diameter but it looked strange, even though I know those monsters are out there. Maybe its because I've never seen one that big in person...being on the east coast.
  • Thanks Bryan and Carl. I love the big old Doug Firs but of course they are mostly gone to logging years ago. But both Mt. Rainier and Olympic Nat'l Parks have them. Wind does a number on them in the winter, knocking hundreds down. I hiked by the two big ones for years ( annual 14 mile hike, before I saw them. There is a grove of 1,000 plus year cedar and Doug Fir close to a road but these two stand alone with many 400-500 year olds. Carl, I'll look and see if I have a better picture. It is hard to tell the size. I should have placed the Grandsons, one from our son and one from our daughter, on each side of the tree and stepped back. Otherwise I'll measure the circumference next summer.
  • Bryan, How tall did you make you 8' diameter tree? Making a 15' would be a real project!! Making the big old growth look good as a model is a real challenge for sure.

Carl, now I think you were asking for shot of the model trees at a further distance. I'll do that and post it Sat.

Geezerbill
  • Looks Awesome Dude! Cant wait to see the finished Product.
  • To me putting together a very realistic tree at any size is a lot of work, can't imagine working one up like you guys are talking about...geeesh...well done Bill I admire the work you do on them.
  • I made those trees 3' tall (144' scale), same for the 15' diameter, just didn't make a top for it. Once I get around to putting a valance on the layout, the tops of those monsters will disappear. I picked up 3' sections of balsa in various dimensions.

This pic gives you an idea of the size. I don't want to hijack your thread, so I'll post some other pics in a different thread.IMG_2501
  • Thank you Allan and Ken! Bryan, those are BIG Trees!! They look really nice. Love the limbs.

Geezerbill
  • Howdy Men and Gals
    A up date on the rigging shack.P1010492
    P1010498
    P1010501
    P1010502
    P1010503
    P1010499

Waiting for the landscapers and the roofers they said today but we shall see.

Carl
  • edited January 2017
    Carl, love the moss on the old tree, really nice effect and so well done. I keep looking at the wood coloring on those cable reels...just terrific. Brett's right...those sawhorses set up as cable reel spindles is awesome...great idea! I'll have to remember that so when I do it...I'll remember to say "inspired by Carl Laskey"!