visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Welcome to the Off-Topic Forum!

Comments

• edited December 2016
    You and me both!...part of the fun though...the thinkin part. The things that draw me to BlueSky, other than the wonderful design and story here, are the wonderful modelers that have worked up BlueSky, such as Brian Nolan, Mike Chambers, Karl Allison, Kevin O'Neill (Karl and Kevin had a part in the O Scale Pilot Model I believe). These are just the ones I know of as I'm sure there are many more. Its also, as everyone knows, Brett's first SWSM Kit. I think it would be awesome to build this early kit incorporating the newer techniques that Brett has developed since BlueSky.

Essentials is certainly a classic. That passenger station could be a kit all to itself! I also love the Fuel Depot with that classic roof and all those fuel tanks...I love tanks. I anxiously await your big reveal on what you decide...No hurry but we must decide before the first of the year! Why?...I don't know, just sounded good.
  • Ken
    I am trying to incorporate it in with the Twin Mills to be part of the layout. I have all of Brett's kits in HO except Whiley so I am still pondering.
    Carl
  • So you have a much larger scope decision than I do as I'm not working mine up for a layout. Keep me posted.
  • I'm sure Carl's cool with you getting EJs. We'll find him one.
  • Making you feel bad you ripped my heart out and I have not been the same since.
  • Have you hugged your E.J. Whileys today?
  • Well if Ed is holding on to it I will have to go down and hug Ed, Oh no tell me it is not true
  • Carl...!...why didn't you tell me you built BlueSky?...When I mentioned that one of my reasons for potentially choosing BlueSky was the number of top shelf modelers who worked it up, I had no idea you were one of those...them...whatever, point is I was perusing Brett's O Scale version pilot here and at the end he mentions a few who built the HO/HOn3 version, and tah dah there you are. Did you document your build? Love to see pictures of what you did with it...(I fixed it above...)
  • Ken I have not built Blue Sky could be he was thinking of Shelby's. I have the kit and thought of doing it and I still am in a ..........Well should I or not.
  • edited December 2016
    OK...got it...probably was Shelby's. I haven't modeled any water front structures but look forward to building any number of Brett's awesome maritime kits and Shelby's is the iconic water front diorama, so yes you should. You know what would be fun...sometime when we have all decided on a classic SWSM kit to work up, have a group build with a twist. Rather than a group build of the same kit, have a group build of all different classic SWSM kits...
  • Sounds like a plan.
  • Ed, It all depends on Sandy condition at that time ,I take care of her 24/7 except in the morning when hospice comes for the bath.It was a seven hour ride to Harrisburg from here so add a few more to Altoona, Only time will tell.
    Carl
  • So everyone must be at work oh well ho hum.
    Carl
  • Alright Ed, you've rattled my cage! You're right...one look at the stack of classic SWSM kits I have to build I get confused...this one next...no this one...Oh, I like this one...wait I forgot about this one...still favoring BlueSky. Of course "MAD" stands for "modeling Addict" am I right?

Ed, you and I will probably spend a few late nights talking shop, or "bench racing" as I like to call it, in Altoona...drive me crazy??...I'm already there buddy. I'll have to try those pretzels as long as they're not found in the pet isle. Are they yours and Satchel like them...or are they Satchel's and you like them??

Carl, I haven't officially met you or Sandy but sounds like you're both wonderful people and your dedication to each other and the round the clock care you're providing is a priceless reminder of why we hook-up for the long haul. My wife and I have been married 35 years, first and last for both of us, and she has a heart condition. So glad there are still people in this world like you folks...I sure worry about the rest.
  • Ed I like pretzels.
    Carl
  • edited December 2016
    Thank You Ken
    Sandy and I have been married for thirty years she has developed Alzheimers about seven years ago and in 2010 she had a triple brain aneurysm and has not been able to do anything since. She has been in bed for a year full time no talking and her sight is poor. So with all of that being said I have no regrets.

All Done
    Carl
  • Ed
    Do not forget to put some of the pretzels in the box with the E J Whiley kit when you send it.
    Smile
    Carl
  • edited December 2016
    Ed, married at 21 y/o. Now wait, it was more the thing back then as you know!

Carl, you're a good man!...all the best.
  • Carl and Sandy are awesome people. Sandy is such a sweet lady. I have so many great memories of her from shows over the years. Carl has been very devoted to her and a true inspiration to all of us!
  • Thank You Brett.
    She is a good person, Well the snow has started and we will get our share I am sure so I may get some time to finish the Rigging Shed.
    Carl
  • Carl, you have my complete admiration. You truly embody and embrace the "in sickness and in health" part of your vow to her. Thank you for the inspiration and I wish you and Sandy nothing but the best in 2017. Phil
  • Carl, I certainly echo Phil's words. Both you and Sandy are as tough as they come. Both of you hang in there and my prayers and well wishes are there for you both.

Geezerbill
  • Thank You Everyone for all of the kind words very thoughtful of all. We have to take what life gives us so I try to make the best of every day.
    Carl
  • You're right Ed, I have reviewed that thread on several occasions and likely will be studying it in depth before too long. Carl sounds like he has a handle on this modeling thing! Sounds so obvious but can be a difficult hurdle to overcome...Ken
  • Ed I would have started the kit but that page was missing I will have to go back and see where I have made a comment like that.
    Pretzels
    Carl
  • Ed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Still working on the MMmmmmmmmilllllllllllll
    Carl
  • Ed I hate to tell you this but I need more than pretzels. Yes you are right I did say that in 2009 but in 2010 life had changed for us.
    I just may do the Blue Sky with Ken I will just copy everything that he post that way I can not go wrong.
    Carl
  • edited December 2016
    All right you guys enough modeling talk without me!...

Carl, how far along are you on TwinMills? I admire and respect anyone who gets into that one. Guys...I have been playing around with wood coloring for BlueSky's Barn walls...not sayin I'm going to build it just yet! I would likely go darker than what is called for...The picture here is a "swatch" of stripwood that is my first go at the color test. I glue this little square(ish) grouping of stripwood to a piece of paper that has notes on it regarding what I did to get there. I'll do several of these before deciding. May be a tad dark....

IMG_0435
  • Ed
    No apologies needed no harm done. By the way I am very sensitive you know here I am at my age begging for PRETZELS.
    Carl
  • Ken in 2009 I was done with the mill there are some pictures of it at the bottom of this page.
    Carl