visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Welcome to the Off-Topic Forum!

Comments

• edited December 2016
    Carl, bottom of this page? Not sure what you mean.

Ed, that's what I thought as well...next one a bit lighter...just color test, not texture or anything else. Maybe a bit more grey...

IMG_0440
  • Ken I mean the first page on the fourm final photo;s of the Twin Mill's in HO.
    Carl
  • I like them both Ken, I'd like to see a side by side.
  • Ahh...I'm remembering now! Brilliant build if I remember right...I better check again!
  • I Checked again and still brilliant Carl. Can't believe I temporarily forgot about that post. Maybe because it wasn't actually posted by you. Regardless, one of the best dioramas of TwinMills I have seen.

Steve, thanks for your thoughts and I'll get a comparison shot. Kind of fun messing around with different color effects. Detailing the boards is when the serious stuff gets going!

Ed, you mentioned the first color stinks...are you sure there isn't something on the bottom of your shoe??...you do have a dog ya know....
  • Here ya go Ed...a bit more grey...

IMG_0447
  • I like the left side 4 the best Ken.

Thanks Ed. I try to document anything I build on one of the forums, obviously any SW kit I'll put here. I'm about 3 years back in the hobby after a long bit off, took me a little while to get rolling again. I spent a lot of time using some of the older techniques (drybrushing and A&I to darken and weather everything), only recently I've started using some of the newer techniques and I feel like my modeling has improved a bit because of it. The chalks really add a new dimension to everything.

I'm pretty much a lone wolf builder so these forums give me a good outlet for my modeling plus I get to communicate and get feedback from some of the best modelers out there. It's very tough to find people locally who share my passion for super detailed craftsmen kits.
  • Ken you have to lighten up a bit.
    Carl
  • edited December 2016
    Hey Steve, well you have a home here that's for sure. As far as "super detailed craftsman kits" go...SierraWest Scale Models is the only place for that and I personally feel that's how all other kits are judged and I wouldn't choose to build anything else. Thanks for the input on the wood. Coloring is nothing to get worked up about, to me it's the details, texture, and treatment of the boards after they're colored is what makes the difference. As I mentioned, it's fun though to fiddle around with color choices on scrap wood whilst planning and studying the upcoming build.

Just messin with you Ed on the "stink", In keeping with the "Dr. Grunge" persona, I tend to lean towards the darker tones on the initial wood color and then things lighten up a bit as I detail the wood after coloring.
  • Color is always a personal preference. My preferernce is the gray tone on the left of the last picture. Hope to see you tackle this kit. It was a fun one for me.
  • Hey Bryan, thanks for wading in here. I agree, the grey is more in keeping with the overall story of BlueSky. Did you post a build thread on your BlueSky?
  • I would like to WISH EVERYONE a HAPPY NEW YEAR and GOOD HEALTH in the years to come.
    Oh where is ALAN hiding?
    Carl
  • Ed I was told years ago that the kits are worth more in the box than out of the box.
    The only way I was able to sell all of my built ups was take them to the Expo that way no shipping and they can see what they are buying.
    Carl
  • edited December 2016
    Boy, buying a built up through the mail would be a tough one. I envision what happened when Elliott shipped his large diorama to a show and there were pieces floating all over the place in the peanut packing!
  • Ken, I agree with the rest of the guys, the grey tone wood looks best to me. What coloring/chalk did you use? I look forward to following yours and Carl's builds when they begin.

I do hope that you find time to do the wood texturing and prep tutorial before you start your next build. Some of us will be starting our own builds in the near future and that information would be greatly appreciated.

I also would like to express a very Happy New Year to all!

Geezerbill
  • Just got a big box from Alan it look's big enough to hold a E.J.Whiley in it,I am going down to the train room to open it I hope Ed is not looking for his.
    Carl
  • Bill, that very thing is in the works and should kick off for 2017!

Come on Carl, what did you get?...

Ed, you mean Alan...dude, who's old? Yea, that's right...You guys are so old when you walked out of the museum the alarms went off!...yea...you watch the History Channel just to see if your on there...ok...when you were young rainbows were still black and white...that's right...
  • Too much caffeine ya think? you crack me up Ed.
  • OK I will give in it is a very large box of Extra Dark Pretzels they are so good I am going to have some at midnight.
    Carl
  • Twas the night before New Years and all through the house everyone was eating Ed's Pretzels even the mouse. The kits were placed by the workbench with care in hopes that Brett will soon be there.
    Have a Great One.
    Carl
  • Good Morning Everyone
    Still in bed in I see well good for you,But the kits will not get built if you don't GET UP
    Carl
  • Happy New Year! Carl is right, if I don't get going, well...
  • I'm up and working! Laying out the plans for the Wood Clinic...

Happy New Year! guys and gals...you know, it would be so cool to hear from a gal modeler. Brett, have we had a gal post here before?
  • I don't think we have ever had a lady post here on the forum. There have been so few female modelers over the years. Most modeled with their husbands, the few that did not were but brief flashes in the modeling pan. I can think of only two ladies that have stayed with modeling over the years... Guess it's like going on a knitting forum looking for guys???
  • edited January 2017
    Where is ED oh I almost forgot the very old guy's have to sleep for 10 to 12 hr's a day.
  • edited January 2017
    Right you are Brett, although modeling has a big artistic component that you think would appeal to the gals. Hope we're not digging a hole here!

Nah, Ed will have to get up to go to the bathroom again soon...you old guys have to do that a lot also!
  • Good to hear Ken. I am really looking forward to that clinic.

I'm up but not to happy a start of the new year. As Ed mentioned, but likely true everywhere, the fireworks were bad. The last ones I heard were at 3am just after my battery in the smoke detector went off. My hearing is REALLY bad so I tried to ignore it as best I could. I got up to...at 5am and there was an inch of snow on the ground which is unusual for the Puget Sound . Anyway, I go out and bring the ladder in and change the battery and all is fine now. Hope I can stay awake for the Seahawk game! Go Hawks.

Geezerbill
  • Oh Well another HO HUM day in Patriot Land.