visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O'Neills Fabrication/Quincy Salvage

Comments

• Garage in your neighborhood...yeah right...its your house dude, just come clean. Since you blew all your money on Sierrawest Kits, this is all you could afford...its ok man.
  • You're right Alan. I have a nice workshop in the garage though, plus it's like living in a SierraWest kit.
  • edited September 2016
    Lol...forgot the mention last time but your red walls looking good. The other thing I will do to tone down the red is to apply a light coat of a Gray Stain from someone like Hunterline.
  • I agree - good tutorial. To tell you the truth, I personally liked the coloring before the dusting. It matches up better with the picture you are using as a guide. I like toning down things, but sometimes I overdo it and take out some of the rich colors that can be achieved. Of course, this is my personal preference. Onward with the build!! Phil
  • Thanks Alan, Phil.

I'm going to go with a bit more weathered than my prototype photo due to the fact this is the lower wall of a salvage yard. I've never seen a junkyard building that wasn't completely beat up.

2016-09-07 003
    I chewed up the board ends and the bottom of the wall a bit with a wire brush. I also wicked a bit of A&I up the boards to simulate moisture damage.

Let me know what you think.

-Steve
  • I like it Steve...it looks very similar to the boards on your house...oh, I mean your neighbor's garage. :)
  • Looks good. You could probably add some more IA on the bottom and get away with it.
  • Thanks Alan, Bryan.

I'll probably add another wash to the bottom to darken it up a bit

-Steve
  • That faded red coloration is going to look awesome next door to the faded ivory of O'Neills...
  • I think so too Brett. All the colors should compliment each other well.
  • Steve, I've just been catching up on your build. You are doing a wonderful job on this kit. I also really love the shake shingles and concur with the other comments that you have really done a great job with them! I am also looking forward to your weathering/coloring of them.

Bill
  • I finished adding the siding to the walls this weekend. I also added the windows to the main building.

2016-09-11 003
    The bottom floor was built over studs, the second floor is done over cardstock. I follow the same method as the lower portion then I glued them together.

2016-09-11 004
    I framed out the windows.

2016-09-11 005
    2016-09-11 007
    I added the windows in place. I colored the windows a little different from the siding. Instead of using Brett's wet brushing method I use a stiff brush and use a blotting type technique to apply uneven paint. This kit does not have laser cut acetate for the windows so it took a little bit longer to add and detail all the glass.

2016-09-11 008
    Other side.

2016-09-11 009
    Close up of the window detail. It's difficult to see the cracks in the glass against the white background.

2016-09-11 010

2016-09-11 011
    2016-09-11 015

2016-09-11 017
    Here are all the walls side by side. It took a bit of effort to get the weathering even across all 4 walls.

I plan on having the doors wide open with some work being done inside the shed.

Thanks for checking in.

-Steve
  • Wonderful work Steve and great progress. Windows look awesome and great attention to detail as always!...Ken
  • Looks awesome...but are you building Quincy's or your Neighbors Garage?
  • Thanks Ken and Alan.

It's Quincys made to look like the garage I live in.

-Steve
  • I made up a sign for the side wall to match the signs on O'Neills. My plan is to have evidence that the yard used to be Quincy Salvage but was purchased by the neighboring O'Neills Fabrication Co. I will probably make some signage labeled for Quincy's and add it to the trash pile behind one of the sheds as evidence of the renaming.

2016-09-13 001
    This is the sign I created. Let me know what you think. Nothing is glued down yet.

-Steve
  • Sign looks awesome Steve!
  • Thanks Alan. I really just tried to copy the style of Brett's design.
  • Nice one Steve. Sign is great and the faded red walls look awesome. Keep up the good work.
  • Steve, you are really getting a great look. I really like the sign and it blends nicely with the structure. I also like your window. You can tell you put a lot of work into them and you got a great look. Phil
  • Thanks Phil. I appreciate the feedback.

It's time for my weekly update. I colored all the doors and glued them in place, added the signs and glued the walls together this weekend.

2016-09-18 001
    The door castings are white metal. To get them to blend with the rest of the siding I primed them with light tan camo spray, followed by 2 coats of a&i. I painted them with the same color as the walls only I dabbed paint on with a large stiff brush instead of brushing it on, this gave me a slightly inconsistent color. I followed everything with the same chalks I used to weather the walls.

2016-09-18 002
    All the signs were weathered with chalks. In the past I've used A&I to weather signs but it usually ends up making them more difficult to read.

2016-09-18 003

2016-09-18 004

2016-09-18 007
    This awning is a very cool detail. I will weather it a bit more once it dries completely. It's very fragile.

2016-09-18 009
    I glued the walls together.

2016-09-18 011
    This is one of my favorite parts of a kit, I get to start to see how everything looks together.

2016-09-18 012

Thanks for checking in.

-Steve
  • Looks really good. Great job matching colors on the doors.
  • Outstanding, Love it! The signage came out great Steve.
  • Looks good...man, you're moving fast!
  • Thanks Bryan. I always like the look of matching doors and siding.

Thanks Brett. The signs are super high quality, very crisp and clear, nicest signage I've seen in a kit. The worst part is always the round ones for me, tough to cut clean.

Thanks Alan. I'm excited to get everything together and laid out.
  • I made a bit more progress today on the diorama. I got the small shed walls together, once I get all the main buildings completed I can get a much better idea how I will combine the 2 kits into one large diorama.

2016-09-30 007
    This is the front of the shed, I had a bit of tough time getting the door to match. I used 2 coats of A&I to color the wall boards. Once everything was together I dusted the whole thing with 408.3 mixed with a few other brown shades.

2016-09-30 009
    Rear wall. I plan on added some shelving/rack setup to the left of the door so I didn't detail the wall.

2016-09-30 010
    Left side wall. Hardest part for me is cutting the round signs out cleanly.

2016-09-30 012
    Close-up of the left wall.
    2016-09-30 008
    Right side wall, I reused the stencil from O'Neills tank for this wall. I didn't spray it, I dabbed on Ivory craft paint with a stiff flat brush.

2016-09-30 011
    Close up of the lettering. I tried to go very light on the paint so the wood detail came through underneath. I will add some more detail to this wall, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Next step is the roof, I'm going to experiment a bit with this one. I want a very beat up old wood shingle roof.

Thanks for checking in.
    -Steve
  • Very, very nice Steve! Beautiful modeling. The colors look just right for what you want to achieve.

Bill
  • Thanks Engine909
    Thanks Bill