visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O'Neills Fabrication/Quincy Salvage

167891012»

Comments

• I temporarily placed the diorama in the general area it will sit on my layout today. I figured I would take a few shots to show how everything will tie together.

2017-03-11 001

2017-03-11 002

2017-03-11 003

2017-03-11 004

Thanks for checking in.

-Steve
  • Looking good! A very cool layout taking shape.
  • Steve, did you open the door so we can see all of your kits? Carl
  • I tell ya Steve, that is going to be one fine layout. You keep populating it with SierraWest Kits with the quality of work you do, and it will be a working museum! You and Phil will be on the SWSM working layout tour.
  • Awesome diorama and it looks to fit in perfectly with the rest of your layout (which is also outstanding!)

Adding one of those magnet lifts to the crane should look really nice.
  • Thanks guys!

Carl, My collection is nothing compared to some of these guys. I only really purchase what I plan on using on the layout. I'm trying to build all the kits I loved when I first started but never could afford.

This is my first attempt at building a layout, it's fun trying to cram as many cool buildings as I can and make them work within the confines of the space. I'm waiting to see the footprint of The Brass and Iron Foundry kit so I can plan it in.

Bill, The magnet I ordered is 3d printed. I've never seen or used any details made that way, I'll let you know how it works out.

-Steve
  • Steve, continued great work on the diorama. It's also good to see it in the layout. Speaking of layouts, it appears that you have a pretty elaborate one. I continue to work on my and will update shortly. Phil
  • Thanks Phil. It's not the biggest layout but I'm trying to make it as interesting as possible. Of course Brett's kits make that much easier.

-Steve
  • Hello Everyone.

It's been a while since my last update. I had a major disaster in my workshop, a sewer pipe backed up in the corner of the room. Luckily I had moved this diorama a few days before it happened or it would've been ruined. When I got the room cleaned up I decided to paint and reorganize my workshop a bit.

I've been busy assembling vehicles for the diorama. It's not my favorite modeling activity, I find the white metal vehicles especially challenging.

2017-05-06 001
    This was built from a Jordan Mack Stake truck kit. I made the sign using the same methods as the signage on the Quincy barn. The truck was painted with Krylon dark gray primer and Boxcar red from the SW paint set.

2017-05-06 002

2017-05-06 004
    I added the magnet to the steam crane. It's my first experience with 3d printed details. They have a bit of a ridged texture. It works ok for this application but I think it wouldn't look great for a barrel, drum or workbench. The casting had a eyelet hook setup which I didn't care for so I cut it off and added 2 crossed chains. I looked at several cranes online and they all had a 4 point cable or chain mount setup.

2017-05-06 003

2017-05-06 005

2017-05-06 006
    This tow truck was built from a Wiseman kit. I need to adjust the wire/cable to make it a little tighter.

2017-05-06 007

2017-05-06 008

Thanks for checking in. I still have a few more vehicles I'd like to build and some details I need to add before the diorama is finished.

-Steve
  • Steve that's some outstanding work & detail. Thanks for the update.

Jerry
  • Hey Steve, I can tell why you like working up those vehicles...they're outstanding! I love that tow truck...I can't wait to see that diorama finished, looking so good! You have integrated those kits so very well...Ken
  • Top stuff Steve.

Glad the diorama avoided the sewer disaster. Would have been a shame to lose it.
  • Thanks everyone.
  • What an awesome scene you have created Steve!
  • Thanks Brett!
  • Nice work. I love the new (old) vehicles.
  • Thanks Joel
  • Wonderful all around Steve, I really like the setting/landscaping you have placed those great structures in, scenery is superb and natural, vehicles look perfectly in place, great work on everything.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl.
  • edited May 2017
    Alan is the master at topography and you Steve are the master of vegetation! Looks so natural. Better make sure that tow truck is glued down or I'll steal it when I see it!
  • Thanks Ken. I appreciate the compliment but I'm only an amateur compared to you guys.
  • Lol...thanks Ken. Hey Steve, nice work on the truck! I love adding vehicles to dioramas...
  • Thanks Alan
  • Steve the pictures and diorama you just built are awesome!
    Jim
  • Steve, that is something I forget about and that's the use of vehicles in the scene. Great additions. They really add to the scene. I'm also glad you avoided the disaster of the backup. Keep up the good work. Phil
  • Outstanding work....more ideas and inspiration...
  • Thanks guys!