visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O'Neills Fabrication/Quincy Salvage

Comments

• The lights look amazing man! Nice work.

Alan
  • Well done Steve. I agree that the addition of another light under the drive through would detract from the wonderful lighting you have now for the Welding Shop. You'll get a little through the window on that side...A bit extra work doing the lighting but makes such a nice effect...
  • Steve I see that you have lighten up a bit well done.
    Carl
  • Great stuff. The details in HO amaze me. I have trouble picking out and painting in O scale. The junk car and canvas look like something I'll have to try.
  • As a compromise you could light the drive through but put it on a separate, switchable circuit. Leave it off most of the time unless you're simulating activity after the sun goes down.
  • Thanks everyone!
    Carl, the canvas was very easy. That was my first attempt doing it ever. Its actually converting up a bad roof seam on that car.

I thought about putting some of the lights on switches. It'll have to wait till I install everything in my layout I think.

I'm considering lighting under the drive for the Quincy barn. Opinions?
  • edited January 2017
    Steve, I envision Quincy as just having a big security light off a telephone pole or something similar rather than strategic task lighting. Hopefully Bill jumps in here for an opinion as he's waist deep in Quincy right now!
  • When in doubt, I look to the real world for a possible answer.
    For prototypical reasons, that area probably wouldn't be lit because it's not really a work area. Nothing was going on under there o, I doubt they'd bother.
    However, Dave Revlia's version had lights (but his WAS a work area; not a drive through).
    Ken's idea of a security light is the best option.

My light plan was to run some "conduit" up to a goose neck fixture on the corner of the barn opposite the street. That way it serves a dual purpose: light up the "exit" to the drive under and a portion of the yard itself.

Alight

Just my thoughts!
  • I re-evaluated the lighting situation and I think you guys are right. I'll probably just put a few lights on posts around the yard area. Are you planning on finishing and bringing your Quincy's to Altoona Bill? I'd love to see it in person. I'm hoping I get to see Ken's O'Neills also.

Small update tonight, I got the roof for the welding shop mostly done.

2017-01-13 001

2017-01-13 002

I used the same techniques from the tower roof and the quincy shed roof. I used individual cedar shingles colored with alcohol and chalk followed by some light drybrushing with whites and light grays.

I made some more small progress on the diorama, I have the track laid down and I'll be planting the main O'Neills building hopefully this weekend. I'll post another update soon.

Thanks for checking in.

-Steve
  • Individual shingles add so much to any structure and you've done a really nice job!

I've done very little on my Quincy's and I'm in the middle of another project. So, Quicny's will be a no-show, but I'll have something in Altoona.
  • I agree with Bill, excellent work on the roof Steve. That Welding Shop is very well done all the way around. To bad Bill won't have his Quincy's at the show. I'll have O'Neills there for sure...
  • Thanks Bill, this kit was my first experiment with individual shingles. I'm pretty happy with the results although it is much more time consuming.

Thanks Ken, looking forward to seeing your O'Neills, hopefully your Bluesky also. If I can ever finish this thing I'll be bringing it along.
  • Use it as motivation not a deadline. Same with my BlueSky. I would rather see and talk with the people than the models, but awfully nice to see both!
  • I really like the individual shingles, but I will try to paper shingles on my next build just to see how it looks. Now if I can just keep making progress on the layout. Phil
  • I made some more progress today. I have a good feel for how all the roadways and paths are going to go now I think. I'm moving pretty slowly with this diorama, almost treating it as a whole bunch of small scenes. This is my first kit I approached this way.

2017-01-16 003
    I got the other side of the fence up. The screwdriver in the front is holding down the staircase while the glue is drying for the main O'Neills building.

2017-01-16 002
    I started detailing the pit area. I'm working my way out from the corner as you can see.
    The tractor is a Jordan I did a terrible job building when I was a kid. I sprayed it rust colored and applied some chalks.

2017-01-16 001
    I started detailing under the covered drive of the barn. I may put a vehicle under here but I'm not sure yet.

2017-01-16 004
    This is what it will look like with the covered drive in place. Obviously I still need to finish the roof.

Thanks for checking in.

-Steve
  • Coming together nicely.
  • Steve
    That is going to be a wonderful diorama when you are finished it looks real good now keep up the good work.
    Carl
  • Steve, your pit is awesome!! I like the way you used vegetation to cover up the edges of the castings. It all flows very nicely. Good job. Phil
  • Beautiful work Steve! Keep taking your time and finish strong. Love the junk pit scene coming together. I really enjoy working on small areas or scenes as you mentioned. Allows time to really plant some nice details without getting overwhelmed looking at the whole diorama. So explain your color choices, which I find intriguing, for your various ground colors (redish base, dark and light "dirt"?)
  • edited January 2017
    Thanks Phil, Thanks Ken

The base is just brown craft paint. In the photos some of the areas are still wet. It like lightened up quite a bit when it dried. The area next to the barn is dry, most of the dirt will be that color or variations of it. I'm using standard Pennsylvania dirt sifted to different consistencies. I've been using a mortar and pestle for the finer areas, Brett's recommendation. Ground foam, Siflor and some small tree pieces for vegetation.
  • edited January 2017
    Ahh...Pennsylvania dirt!...that's explains a lot. Just kidding...So that base color is more brown than red. Again Steve, great work.
  • Time for my weekly update, I got the main O'Neills structures glued down and I'm starting to detail around them. I spent most of my time making sure I got it right when I planted the tank in the ground. The other areas I can go back and touch up but behind and under the tank will be mostly impossible.

2017-01-22 004
    Ken, This is the pit area after everything has dried. It's a much lighter color now. I filled in the area with another large bulk junk casting.

2017-01-22 002
    The road area is still drying. I'm building the oil tank tipping cradle right now. Once that's all done I'll be able to detail this area completely and finish the road.

2017-01-22 001
    I love the pipe under the porch. I think it's such a great detail you wouldn't find in any other kit. This whole scene is definitely a favorite, I love the tank detail also.

2017-01-22 003
    The area is very clean, definitely won't stay that way.

Thanks for checking in.

-Steve

• Steve, outstanding work. I think the phase you are in is my absolute favorite. It's really cool to plan out how you will arrange things and the associated scenery. It's looking really good. Phil
  • Excellent work, Steve.
    I was going to point out the seam/hard edge of the junk piles in the pit area posted in your update on Jan 16. However, I see you've got it blended in and have a perfect transition.
    I love how you added extra "stuff" to fill in and complete this area.
  • Thanks Phil, I agree this stage is the most fun. You start to see all your work come together.

Thanks Bill, the junk area is still a work in progress. It's always a bit challenging to make those larger clutter castings blend well for me. I'm going to add a bunch more clutter around the area to pull it all together. I'm waiting till I finish some of the key areas of O'Neills before I use some of the castings in the pit. Like you said before the scrapyard can consume a whole lot of castings if I'm not careful.

-Steve

• That pit area looks awesome. Are those concrete walls castings or did you make them from something?

• Those are resin castings included in the kit Alan...

Great update Steve.
  • Thanks Alan. Brett's castings colored with gray primer dusted with chalk and washed with A&I.

Thanks Brett. The detail in your concrete wall castings are fantastic. The one with the horizontal crack is my favorite.

• just wonderful Steve. Very well thought out and great modeling. Really enjoying your build.

Geezerbill
  • You just did a great job on O'Neills! Loved seeing it again. Your junk pile is terrific and very well done...should be a killer diorama when finished...