visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O'Neills Fabrication/Quincy Salvage

Comments

• Steve,
    Nice finishes on those castings. I especially like the junk in the second picture from the bottom.
    Mitch
  • Thanks Mitch and Ed
  • Steve, thanks for the explanations about your painting. Really nice job. Phil
  • Ahh, another tank lover! Great work on the castings Steve.
  • Very nice work Steve. The close-up photo's really show the wonderful castings and highlight your great weathering!

Geezerbill
  • Thanks Phil, Ken and Bill.
  • Hello Everyone. I made a little more progress, mostly small stuff. I ended up re-doing my base for the diorama, I added a few inches on all sides. It felt a little too cramped for a salvage yard operation.

I added most of the details to the welding shop interior.

2016-12-27 001

2016-12-27 002
    I'm going to add some interior lighting to this same as the Quincy barn. I plan on replacing the gooseneck with a working one also.

2016-12-27 003
    So many cool details, I'm not sure which ones came from O'Neills and which ones from Quincy's. Brett had used a cinderblock to hold open the door in the O scale pilot model and I loved the idea so I used it.

2016-12-27 004
    2016-12-27 005
    I need to add bit more clutter under the workbench here.

Thanks for checking in.

-Steve
  • Thanks Ed. I mostly used the same techniques described by Karl Allison and Kevin O'Neill.
  • Looks real good Steve the placement of the castings are spot on.
    Carl
  • Thanks Carl.
  • Steve, I like the elevation and can't wait till you show us the lighting. Phil
  • The interior of the Welding Shop is just loaded with details and fun to do. Nicely done Steve. Love the welding cart and tanks...among other things!
  • Thanks Phil and Ken. The cart is a very cool detail.
  • Looks good Steve!
  • Thanks Alan.
  • Small update today, starting to glue some pieces on the diorama.

2017-01-03 005
    I built the fence and installed it tonight. I re-used the O'Neills stencil for the last time I think.

2017-01-03 004
    The scenery is still wet in this shot. Obviously lots more detail to be added.

2017-01-03 003
    I completed and added the trestle. I just have a base of dirt under it, I will add whole mess of metal scrap and junk under it as I go. Lots of weeds also.

2017-01-03 006
    This is the basic configuration I ended up with. The track position was the only thing I had limited flexibility with, it has to be able to be dropped into my layout when done.

Thanks for checking in.

-Steve
  • Steve, looking really nice!

Geezerbill
  • Diorama is coming along nicely. Like the fence...
  • Steve how big is your layout?
  • Love what you are doing here Steve. Orientation of the two kits is super interesting. I love the cobblestone street castings. Perfect compliment to the dio. Think about adding a little random dirt/weeds like you have already in place hiding the seams. This will create a long street rather than several evenly spaced rectangles. Well done! Can't wait to see more.
  • Thanks Bill and Alan.

Carl, it's about 18x24.

Thanks Brett, you're right it's far too uniform. I definitely will be adding some more dirt and weeds to break up the castings. I need to work the color of the cobblestones a bit too. It's going to be a bit of experimentation getting the road looking right, this is the first time trying this type of road. The castings have a distinct pattern I need to hide as well.
  • edited January 2017
    Creating a wonderful scene here Steve. Brett is a wizard when it comes to all things modeling and overall diorama composition is certainly near the top. That's a great tip on the street. I haven't modeled one before so I'll have to remember that one.

I love the detailing of the fence and scenic work as you move along it, particularly the 3rd picture from the end. Great dirt color, great texture and variety of aggregate size, Oh...you spelled O'Neills wrong though...ahh made you look!...great work Steve.
  • Looking good, Steve!
    Cool idea with the stencil on the fence.
    Something to keep in mind...that's a fairly large space which will need to be filled with junk and clutter. Granted, there are a lot of castings included in both kits, but that much real estate gobbles them up in no time flat. You may want to start planning now and round up a large collection of junked Jordans, barrels, crates, and other additional scrap to keep it believable and help instill that "busy" junk yard feel.
  • Steve, don't listen to Bill he's never built junk scene like Quincy's...or has he????

Can't wait to see how you fill in the space...joking aside, Bill's talking from experience we just need to get a glimpse.
  • Thanks Ken, I missed a letter the first time and I had to replace a few boards so you got me with the spelling.

Thanks Bill, good advice with the castings. I have a few failed Jordans I did a bad job building when I was a kid I plan on disassembling , weathering up and burying in the weeds. It's bad timing for Jordan to go out of business just when I started this diorama. I bought a few vehicle kits from Wiseman for a few different tow trucks and I have an old Vintage Vehicles Steam Crane also. I'm going slowly and detailing the main areas first so I don't use up all my castings.
  • Uh oh! Been called out!
    Ken's right...my Quincy's Salvage has sat for far too long. But, at the risk of thread-jacking, here's a quick glimpse of the mock up that I've got:

Quincy

Search around on eBay for partially completed kits and vehicles. A lot of times nobody wants them (unless they're going to be used for junk).
    You can also make use of the sprues from model car kits and structures and scrap pieces of angled styrene. I've also used interesting looking sections from old plastic packaging from razor blades, nuts & bolts, and miscellaneous toys or hardware packaging. Cut them up into small angular pieces, spray paint in a variety of tan, rust and flat black colors and you've got a nice pile of junk. And it's free!

For example, here's a little collection of "fenders". I made them by cutting up various parts of a plastic water bottle. It's got interesting ridges, indentations and nice curves:

Fenders
  • Good recovery Bill, and looking mighty fine. Fender pile is awesome, some good tips here Steve. I was just messin with you on the spelling, so that's just too funny....

That O'Neills sure looks good sitting there!
  • Those fenders look great Bill. I loved your rubber gasket tires also. Great ideas and very cheap to do. I'm going to look around and see what type of ideas I can come up with.
  • Small update, I added the lighting to the interior of the welding shop. I used the same techniques from the Quincy barn. This is my second attempt today at wiring this up, the first time I accidentally applied full 12v to the circuit and it cooked all my leds almost immediately, frustrating to say the least.

2017-01-06 001
    The roof is just placed on the top, obviously still needs color.

2017-01-06 002

2017-01-06 003

I was originally going to put a light under the drive through roof but I think it might be too much. My next step is adding 2 working LEDs on the main O'Neills building, one over the loading dock and the other under the addition. I have to go to Radio Shack and get some more resistors before that. I found a great website for figuring out which resistor for which LED setup www.ledcalc.com very useful.

Thanks for checking in.

-Steve
  • Looks good lighted.