visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O'Neills Fabrication/Quincy Salvage

Comments

• Thanks Brett. Im amazed at how you can really manipulate the colors with the pastels until you get the color you want. I went over the doors with white to tone down the brown weathering and it gave me the exact color I was looking for. I'm not sure why I resisted using chalk techniques for so long, I'm a convert now.

-Steve
  • edited July 2016
    Hey Steve,

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Just a quick observation...the weathering of the wood and metal panels on overhang look very similar in tone color. I don't know if that's just the pictures or if that really the case. If it is, you may want to consider either adding a gray or a rust look to those panels to create contrast.

Best!
    Alan
  • Alan, I'll take a closer look when I go to my workshop today. I did add a bit of rust powder to the metal I may need to clean some off the wood or add some gray highlights to the wood.
  • Hello Everyone. I made a bit more progress this weekend. I added the roof and rafters, I also made a terrible mistake and I cut the main roof pieces too long and added them to the roof card. I ended up fixing it as best I could but it was very difficult to remove the pieces once they adhered to the backing board. It was a silly mistake, I must've misread the directions and once I caught it it was too late.

2016-07-09 001

After I pulled the roofing material off I had to glue everything back together but it really damaged the roofcard. I has also already weathered the roof so I had to try to blend everything

2016-07-10 001
    I ended up respraying to roof with gray again and starting over, I couldn't get the division line to disappear. This is the finished result after redoing it.

2016-07-10 008

2016-07-10 007

2016-07-10 009

2016-07-10 010

Thanks for checking in. I should have the main sign on tomorrow hopefully.

-Steve
  • Excellent recovery Steve. Roof looks great. That roofing card adhesive is crazy strong and I know from personal experience how hard it is to peel corrugated panels off... just saying.
  • Thanks Brett. It's definitely strong stuff for sure. No worries about the panels coming loose in the future. It's a great design for applying the panels, no need to worry about glue seepage on the finished panels. I relaminated everything with 5 min epoxy, it was much harder to keep the rooftop clean the second time around.

-Steve
  • I added some of the roof details today.

2016-07-12 002
    I added the 2 small chimneys and the L shaped chimney on the addition. They were all blackened with Jax Pewter Black and buffed with a dremel.
    I also added a ladder to the roof. I thought it could use a little something extra on this side and I needed to cover a little kink I made in the roof material when I
    repaired the roof earlier.
    2016-07-11 001
    I made the ladder on the left first. I made it out of scale 2x4s and it's a bit out of scale for my liking, I've made this mistake half a dozen times now I think.
    2016-07-12 003

2016-07-12 004
    I added the sign to the main roof.

2016-07-12 001

Thanks for checking in. Next step is the Repair and Welding Shop

-Steve
  • As Brett mentioned, great fix on the roof...it looks terrific. Things are coming together nicely. Anxious to see what you do with the Welding Shop. Love your subtile color tones and the blended weathering...Ken
  • Thanks Ken. I'm just trying to follow your lead.

-Steve
  • edited July 2016
    Made a bit more progress on the Welding Shop this weekend.

2016-07-13 003
    I weathered up all the interior framework with chalk and alcohol. This is one of the best features of this kit, saves a ton of time and looks great.

2016-07-16 001
    I added the siding to the walls, I used the same technique as the main structure only I used less white, I wanted this building to be a bit grimier.

2016-07-17 001
    After I sided all the walls, I trimmed all the excess.

2016-07-19 001
    I added the windows to the side wall.

2016-07-19 003
    I added the shelf and some of the details to the same wall. Since this picture was taken I modified the shovel to be a bit more realistic, it stood out to me.

2016-07-19 002
    I added all the details to the other wall. I've used an acetylene cutting torch often at work and the hoses are always red and green and very dirty, this is one of the details of this kit that just works perfectly.
    2016-07-19 005
    I'm not a huge fan of bending the wire for these type of light fixtures, this one is easier because the wire is brass instead of steel like other kits. I have a tool that I believe is used to adjust the height on the magnetic piece on kadee couplers, it's a set of pliers that is round on one side and cupped on the other. It works great for bending these things.

2016-07-19 006

2016-07-19 007

2016-07-19 008

2016-07-19 009
    I originally weathered the front sign the same as the main building, using a razor to cut between the boards. I didn't care for the way it looked on the smaller sign so I made another one and kept it one piece. I have a color copier/scanner right next to me work bench, I always copy and signage before I build a kit. Brett included many duplicates with the kit but I made a copy anyway. I also copy any templates before I build over them.

2016-07-19 010

This is turning into a very cool little building. I'm using a lot of new techniques on this kit and I'm amazed at how easy they are to pull off.

Thanks for checking in.

-Steve
  • Looks really good Steve. The hoses in the Red and Green colors does a nice job of adding some color to the wall.
  • Looks great. I agree, the sign is just right as you have modeled it. That sign was Bill's idea. It added the perfect finishing touch to the simple little welding shop. Glad you're enjoying the build!
  • Really nice Steve. Your bend on the lamp support looks great. Weathering is terrific and nice finish on the details. One suggest...watch the hose ends on your green oxygen hose, and to a lesser extent the yellow hose, as they appear to be hanging at a gravity defying angle. Your build is that good...as a result that type of thing gets noticed...
    Well done Steve...
  • Thanks Alan, Brett and Ken.

Ken, you're right, I'll have to tweak them a bit when I get home tonight. Thanks, I didn't notice till you pointed it out.

-Steve
  • Steve, a bit nit picky but your modeling is really, really good as I mentioned and little stuff gets looked at much closer! Also a good example of why taking pictures, close pictures, of your progress is such a great modeling aid...Ken
  • Great progress. Is that a window covering you are using? Adding some creeping grime at the bottom of the wall might look interesting. Just touch the bottow of the wall with ink/alc and it will creep up and give a nice water stained effect.
  • Thanks guys.

I added the dock to the welding shop and got a jump start on the roof for the shop.

2016-07-29 002
    You can't see it real well but I adjusted the hoses so they lay a bit more naturally. Thanks Ken.

2016-07-29 004
    I weathered all the dock wood the same as the walls minus the white coloring.

2016-07-29 003
    Interior shot of the decking.

2016-07-26 005
    I decided to try my hand at some individual cedar shingles for this structure and the tower. I was inspired by Bill's shingles on the shack on his sawmill diorama and all of Brian Nolan's roofing. I measured the shingles to match the height of the shingle strips in the kit, that way I could use the supplied roof card to keep everything straight.

2016-07-29 001
    The roof card is self adhesive but I plan on weathering the shingles with a wire brush so I also glued them with Titebond II.

I won't be doing any work on the kit next week. I'm heading to the beach with my family.

Thanks for checking in.

-Steve
  • edited July 2016
    Excellent work. The individual shingles look fantastic. Brian was certainly a master of the cedar shingles. The look he achieved was all about texture and dry brushing.
  • Thanks Brett. I have to study some real life cedar shingles this week to try to get my colors and textures right.

-Steve

• edited July 2016
    You really have done a wonderful job so far on the Welding Shop. The loading dock appears perfectly done to me and just slightly different color tone than the shop which I think looks terrific. Your shingling, as Brett mentioned, looks striking and will give a really great look once detailed...well done Steve, I love it.
  • Looks really good Steve. Who makes the single shingles...or did you make them yourself out of something like a Cedar Wrap used to cook food on the grill?
  • Thanks Ken, Alan.

Alan, I bought them from Sierra Scale Models they are the .018 thickness sheets. I think you can find a very similar material from a non hobby application with a little research.

-Steve
  • edited August 2016
    I just got back from vacation Sunday, I was able to spend a little bit of time on the kit the last couple days.

2016-08-08 001
    I finished adding the shingles to the welding shop roof, only thing left is the ridge cap and weathering them. My vacation was in Cape May, NJ so I got a whole bunch of pictures of weathered cedar shake. I haven't shingled the tower roof yet, I needed to work out how I planned on capping the ridges.

2016-08-09 001
    I added the support for the addition, the small landing and staircase. It was a good distraction from the monotonous shingling I had just finished. I still want to dirty up to supports a bit, I'm just waiting for everything to dry. It's very fragile.

2016-08-09 002

Thanks for checking in.

-Steve
  • Your assembly looks great. There is a softness in the color that I like.

Your addition makes mine look too new. I like yours better. I will have to figure out how to correct my finishes after the fact.

Mitch
  • Thanks Mitch. I added an A&I wash to all the wood after the chalk wash to darken it up a bit. Just be careful, adding all that alcohol caused me some warping trouble.

-Steve
  • Great work Steve. The shingles are superb and highlights the versatility of Brett's kit design. Anxious to see how you weather them. I see what Mitch is saying about the "softness" of the color tones, and it is working well for you...great stuff...Ken
  • Thanks Ken. I have some ideas about colors for the shingles. I'm going to start the tower roof tonight, then I'll start experimenting with colors. I'm excited to try some stuff out.

-Steve
  • I got most of the tower shingled this weekend, I took a break to add the other staircase and awnings.

2016-08-14 001
    For this roof I got a little smarter and cut all my shingles into this bottle cap. When I was doing the welding shop roof I just made a big pile of them on my workbench. I tend to breath heavy when I'm concentrating and I ended up blowing them all over the place.

2016-08-14 002
    Before I got started I made a copy of the roof card, I used it as a guide to cut the edge pieces. In the past I've used scissors to trim strip shingles but that wouldn't work for the individual shingles.

2016-08-15 001
    Moving along...

2016-08-16 001
    By the time I finished my neck was killing me.

2016-08-16 002
    I got the edges glued up before I did the ridges.

2016-08-16 004
    I glued a scale 4x4 in the ridge gap to give myself a better surface to glue to ridge cap shingles on.

2016-08-16 005
    I finished the side staircase/awning in between shingling. It looks like I need to tweak the one railing a bit it's a little crooked.

Thanks for checking in. Next on the menu is finishing up the shingles and adding some color to them.

-Steve
  • Mighty fine work Steve. Your shingling work is absolutely wonderful. As I mentioned previously, can't wait to see how you attack the weathering of these guys...Ken
  • Thanks Ken! It won't be long now, should get to coloring them in a day or 2.

-Steve