visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Loco and Service Shops

Comments

• Great work on the roof Elliot, slightly weathered and faded, but still water tight and in good repair to keep the rain out.
    No point having a sand drying facility with a leaky roof.....!!

Looks perfect.

Karl.A
  • edited April 2013
    thanks Paul, Jim.Karl - appreciate the kind words.

A little progress on the climax - here is the engine and the light -epoxy with some vallejo deep yellow mixed in

imageimage
  • Hi Elliot
    great work, I am enjoying this build immensely. I'm going to be attempting the Eureka Springs engine house in the , hopefully, near future.
    That's a great looking Climax. Is it a kit?
    cheers
    Dave
  • edited May 2013
    Hi Dave - this is a kit from Ye Olde Huff and Puff - thanks for sharing.

I've started the bents for the water tank - seems straight-forward enough. I wanted the wood to look really wrought hued and gave the boards lots of texture. In the drawing the bents are slightly indented on each side - to get this effect I took a small narrow scrap and taped it to a angle iron to get the indentation. the other difficult thing is getting the second side bracing without tearing the whole thing to bits - I used a couple of scraps to hold the back side up while I did the other side. Then Brett has already used his laser to cut the nut and bolts - just paint and glue. I decided to snap a shot and present this info to help with the assembly - on to the other two
  • 5 hours of pure fun later....image
  • I colored the water tank siding - I am wondering if that piece on the front of the casting is broken or is it supposed to be like that? Staves are next - get out the micro brushes
  • Some progress on the Tank - the staves are painted and the gauge is in placeimage
  • getting lots of chatter hereabouts......lol

a little more progress ( actually the whole afternoon) - the roof is on and the spout support is affixed -
  • Elliott this is really starting to take shape. The gauge is a nice feature. Something one wouldnt expect to see, especially in an HO kit.

The forum has been a bit quiet lately. I Hope you keep posting your updates though.
  • Thanks Wes
    - here is the finished water tank - I ran into one snag - I was supposed to do the extension for the spout using 1/8 inch plastic tubing and I read 3/8 inch so I cut the sucker up before I know what I was doing - and since I was still all confused as to how to assemble the thing with the larger pipe I dipped into my supplies and used a piece of 1/4 inch to construct the thing - so now I have a piece of 1/8 inch I cannot use and a piece of 3/8 inch which is trash - I will again dip into the reserves whenever I get to the point where I use the tubing. I love modeling!
  • Just beautiful. So much detail in such a small piece. WOW
  • edited May 2013
    Looks fantastic Elliot, the chains and the weights came out beautifully.

Really nice weathering on the spout also, just enough rust to be out in the weather but still shows that it is used regularly, very nice balance.

Maybe a little dusting to dull down the white water level indicator?

Looking forward to what comes next !

Karl.A
  • edited May 2013
    Excellent job Elliot. I like the color variations on the water tank ( looks like wood ). Always amazing to me that a resin casting can be made to look the way you have done.
    Do you think it is possible to weather a resin tank to make it look like water has leaked over time between the tank stays and if so how might you do that?
    Can't wait to see more of your superb and inspiring work.
    Jim
  • A great big thanks for the fine words - Monitors have a way of distorting things so the tweaks you mentioned are related to that - the numbers are really quite darkened in reality. Thanks again, all.

On to the oil tank and first off it the pump station - my version follows.imageimage
  • How did you get the patchy rust on the roof?
  • Accumulated water dripping off the tank caused the rust - lol
  • The tank itself is actually 4 castings which are fashioned together. The two end pieces are crafted onto the center one and then the dome is but on top - It was a hassle to get the pieces to fit together - I have no power tools at my disposal so it was sanding and sanding - a huge pile of resin and then epoxy and then filler using epoxy, more sanding, then a little black paint for good measure - we got a tank!image
  • How did you get the patchy rust on the roof?
    I could not get myself to do more etching after Twin MIlls so I started fiddling around with water mixable oil colors and rembrandt chalks -creates lots of great textures
  • Just beautiful. So much detail in such a small piece. WOW
  • That was a lot of work!image
  • with tankimage
  • edited May 2013
    Looks fantastic Elliot. the intricassy of the model is really showing now that your fine work is bringing it all together,

Karl.A
  • edited May 2013
    Superb job! Thank you for documenting this build. Many of us will be looking back at it for inspiration when we start to build this kit !
    Jim
  • Elliot, nice to be back on-line "hob-knobing" with you guys! Great work on the tank. Really nice to see the primed/base color and then detailed pics almost side-by-side. This is a really nice detail piece and just makes the outside yard area. More...more.....-K
  • Great comments guys - thanks

Here is the completed tank - the job is "by the book" - each move is clearly stated in the directions and my job was to bring them together in an arrangement specific to my abilities - enjoyimageimageimage
  • edited June 2013
    Wow ! Beautiful details. This is an awesome addition to the to overall look of the diorama. More! More! Keep it coming!
    Jim
  • Very very nice Elliot, beautifully excecuted piece of modelling.

Karl. A

Sent from my ideck
  • Love it! My favorite part of the loco svc shops kit...
  • thanks - it was a cool project.

Finished the climax for the loco shopimageimage
  • This is a nice little day's projectimage