visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Loco and Service Shops

Comments

• Both Sets of doors on this page are fantastic both in design and detailing...AND on the same structure! Can't wait to get mine and "get into it". What a treat it will be to have Brett's instruction manual and Elliot's superb, well documented build...-K
  • Outstanding E! The doors look fantastic...
  • and the other door
  • Hi Elliot,
    Glad you feel better and have been able to make great progress. The doors are very well done and detailed. I especially like the barn style rollers and the rusting of those with the metal plates and signs on the doors. The close ups look like the real thing.
    Wow!
    Jim
  • Damn that is good.
  • Damn !! the joints on those doors are tighter than on a Scottish wallet, REALLY nice construction and finish.

Karl.A

• Thanks Karl - its easy with the laser cut wall frames - comes out square every time - Wes, Jim thanks

Here are the first set of loco doors -same exercise but bigger - also I think I am done peeling paint - although I enjoyed the chore it is good to be moving on - another set of doors and then we start to see the thing come together.e every time.imageimage
  • edited March 2013
    Wow...absolutely gorgeous! I keep coming back for second looks at your peeling paint. So convincing I can almost hear it cracking off!
    On the hinges, it looks like the middle one came unglued or do you not have the doors in their final (opened) position? In any case, they're a cool little detail and a nice contrast from the white doors.
    Really, really fine job E!
  • Bill - you are too kind - the hinges are somewhat fragile and I am not messing with them until later as I do the scenery - I also broke off a couple of the tabs but one foot rule saves me there - I will substitute a smudge - lol

Here is the structure frame - I removed the loco doors as they are probably going to be open once the floor and track are installed - Brett suggests you epoxy them at this time in the instructions and if you know how the structure will be displayed or will be following his diorama instructions then that is the best way - I will be adapting this into an existing diorama and will need flexibility with the doors. Also a shot though the front loco door - get an idea of all the detail to anticipate as we continue to build.imageimageimage
  • Wow!!!!! What is the diorama you are going to incorporate this into? Would love to see what you have in mind. Amazing what you are achieving in this build.
    Jim
  • Jim - this is one of four kits that make up my logging camp scene. E will be adding this to his award winning dio of the first two kits main street and essentials...
  • Thought I would clarify my previous post with some shots of the building on the diorama - I cleared off the area that was devoted to clearing the trees and placed the frame in place - tried it both ways and may just go with it facing this way - it is reversed from Brett's diorama - anyway just kinda fooling around right now. There are pics of my diorama on Brett's webpage in the photos section
    imageimageimage
  • Hi Elliot and Brett,
    The new kit really looks superb with the diorama you built previously Elliot. Brett this is a beautiful kit and Elliot superb job building it (and all the other kits you have done)! Everything fits very nicely together with a lot of variety in color and shape. Lots of visual interest. Another contest entry ? If it is ever out on display would love to see it in person. Thanks for sharing how it will look with the other kits. Are you planning on adding the donkey yard too?
    Jim
  • It looks right at home there. If you are taking votes on the placement I would vote for having those sliding doors to the front of the dio. They look so good and there is nothing else like them on any of the other buildings.
  • Stunning stuff Elliott. Each post there is just more and more great stuff to look at.
  • thanks guys
    The office is finished - love the door - it comes in several layers and you build it from 8 pieces. On to gluing it to the structure image
  • and here is the office attached to the structure - only knocked one door off - three to go - lol - on to the floor.imageimageimage
  • and it rises from the ashes of the workbench... looking great!
  • Thanks Brett
    The flooring for the shop is somewhat complicated in that several different textures are involved -easy to handle with Brett's instructions - just take your time - the rail rest on one type, the spacers in between the rail is another and the flooring is another - they must be cut, weathered, and applied one at a time to get it right - there is a pattern to the floor if you look closely - I build my off the template as I did not know if it would line up with the track on the layout -turns out all is in alignment - cool - I did not stain the wood as instructed because I wanted it to blend somewhat with the tone of the rest of the dio and I felt a rich umber color was too much - I favor a lighter old wood look- of course there is still additional wear and tear to be added once the castings and such are in place. I started with the two rail pieces, cut and installed the in-between pieces and then built from that with the flooring - I did it in two parts, each one centering around the track element. Of course I referred often to the template and checked the size against his drawing - everything came out just fine.imageimageimageimage
  • Absolutely fabulous craftsmanship Elliott.
    Lynn
  • Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but what are the dimensions of the overall diorama? Hard to believe the amount of creativity packed into that many square inches!

Mike M
  • Roughly 9" x 7" - Brett's kits always have a lot of bang for their buck!
  • edited April 2013
    The main Structure footprint alone is indeed 9"x7", however,

The Diorama/kit is actually 19"x 10" which includes three other support structures and yes Mike, there is ALOT of creativity and provided details packed into that space.

The entire 19"x10" diorama is fully detailed in true SierraWest style.

Karl.A

• Perhaps I should have been clearer--I meant the size of the entire Deer Creek Logging Camp, Essentials, Main Street, etc. Trying to get as accurate a handle on size as I can on a setup built to match Brett's diagram. You know, "as built" vs. "as designed". ;^)

If Brett's kits packed any more bang for the buck than they already do he'd have to get approval from the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission...

Mike M
  • In that case Mike, overall it is 24" x 48"...

Karl.A
  • Wow! It's been awhile since my last post - with several personal activities getting in the way and the few bummer days dialysis is sure to bring, I've had nothing to show - but now I do - yea! Here is the Sand House sans roof - I neglected to paint it when Brett said to on the first page so now we play wait for it to dry - but the structure is far enough along to share it - this is a study in concentrated detail - as you can see from the first pic, I have a razor blade next to the thing to show size - there is a bundle of stuff and lots of fun modeling here - sure to please when you get to it - I embellished it some and I hope Brett will forgive me for going beyond the directions - it just lends itself to customizing. LP have been using the cross braces as steps to get up on the platform and they broke one already - I guess a ramp or stairs would be a good idea?? Pics for those who thrive on such things.
    imageimageimage
  • edited April 2013
    great progress Elliot, a very neat structure, full of detail and fun to build.

Nicely done.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl
    Here is the finished Sand House - the casting for the stove pipe is crooked because it bends when it comes out of the base part - I did not try to correct it and decided they might just end up like that - who knows!imageimage
  • Nice work on the Sandhouse Elliot,looking forward to your progress.

Paul
  • Nice structure Elliot. I really like the rusted slide on the door. Lots of personality in this structure. Keep up the great work.
    Jim