visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Loco and Service Shops

Comments

• Personally I think all 3 look great, each a different degree of deterioration. I could see a mix of at least the bottom two on the same structure with the worst being on the side facing either where hit most by the sun or by prevailing winds (or both).
  • edited February 2013
    Great work Elliot, the middle board is definately right on the money.
    The walls will look perfect, well,
    perfectly imperfect....

Karl.A
  • Thanks guys - here are a few more and a close-up - plus the tool I use to distress - the edge is serrated with fine teeth - actually a little saw but works great to add texture image
  • Beautiful work on these boards. Can't wait to see it come together. Personally I like some of the finer flaking as I think it works better in HO scale.
    Just my two cents (coming from someone with a tendency to overweather everything)
  • The checks and cracks in the paint are fantastic, Elliott. You really get the idea that pieces of old dried paint are flaking off under the elements.
    You're off to a great start and I'm looking forward to more.
  • Thanks for the nice comments - I need it! I have carpel wrist from all the masking tape sticking and pealing and I needed a break plus I was super curious as to how all this was going to look - so I snuck to the next page and started one of the walls - came out cool?image
  • Awesome peel...how long did you let the white dry before sticking and peeling? I like it..
    This is going to be a great build...-K
  • Perfect !

Karl.A
  • home run bro!
  • Glad to hear you are feeling better and able to do dialysis at home ( lots more time for building beautiful models).
    The boards and wall look fantastic. Definitely a home run. Very cool technique. Thanks for showing and teaching.
    Jim
  • Hi Kkarns - actually that depends on the humidity and such - best to experiment with one piece until you get the hang of it - do a section and try removing at various times till you get the effect you want - thanks for asking
    Jim, Brett, Karl - you guys are too kind - thanks Bill - thanks - Joel - I think the pic of the framing speaks for itself?? - thanks for the observation - Mike - thanks for the comment - back to sucking up peeling paint
  • Wow that is a stunning effect. If I can make one small suggestion (and everyone feel free to disagree) the effect is almost too uniform in its randomness. I think in a real building there would be areas less likely to peel (under the eaves) and those more likely, near openings or the ground. A small amount of white dry brushed in some areas may fix this or you could place the boards on the wall and then peel sections at a time vs one board at a time. Just a thought - now go ahead and shoot me down...
  • You will notice I have used the board ends on the bottoms in most places to allow for that - I will also have a few boards that did not peel as well and I can use them under windows -there will be some variation and also some unpainted ones thrown in.
  • edited February 2013
    Great thinking Elliot,
    Another thing to consider Joel....the structure really has very little eave overhang, therefore offering no protection to the top edge of the boards. Especially on the gable walls.

But indeed great points to be aware of when using the technique on other buildings. Of course it does require alot of extra time and planning while doing the boards and thinking where they will be placed on a structure.

Karl.A
  • And after a little fooling around here is the finished wall - I also did 20 more sticks and my carpel is acting up - lol -please note the bottoms of the boards - they will not take a stain like water damage so I just did a little creative painting and rubbing and such and got this look - Of course the side walls will have lots of crud around them and it is less important to model the weathering but on the front wall it is needed.
  • Elliot, no pain no gain! Awesome wall, can't wait to do mine and tackle the peeling paint. I can just picture the Shay poking its nose out the door. Board spacing came out nice. -K
  • The bottom of the boards look great Elliot - Glad you pointed it out or I would have missed it altogether. The project is coming along nicely, keep up the great work!

sfc
  • Looks like the repair crew replaced a couple of boards. Nice touch
  • Elliot- excellent. I really like the effect of the peeling paint and the replaced boards as Bryan pointed out.
    Jim
  • Suggestion. On your diorama/layout a pile of the broken "peeling paint" boards on ground near the repair site as a time line / time passing item.
  • Very nice job so far sir.
  • More great progress Elliott.

Hope you are feeling better.
  • Boy do you accomplish a great deal in a short time. Really impressive.
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks guys - and yes- I am much better and modeling up a storm - well, not really - these walls require careful handling and I only glue a couple at a time - here is the big wall - both sides are important since the roof will come off and there will be all sorts of stuff going on inside
  • Elliott,

quite nice. Am really waiting on seeing more of your work on this Brett kit. Keep the post coming. This is great stuff. Thanks - us-okrim.
  • Nice walls.
  • Peeling paint looks awesome Elliot, really nice job on the walls.
    Only four more to go..... I'm looking forward to the next update...

Karl.A
  • Here is proof I finished the walls - only to read on about the windows and find I get(oh goody) to do more pealing paint! I also include this shot to give you all the parts completed in one place - just to help with orientation - anyway there is a cool feature as the window pane is sandwiched in between two outside frames - wait till you see it.image