visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Loco and Service Shops

Comments

• I like it Elliott..went to the photos of the finished build and see what you mean about the windows, they'll look as good from the inside as they will from the outside. -K
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks guys

The next job was to frame all the doors and windows - to do this you first have to get the pealing pant texture and Brett suggests following the same steps as with the larger pieces used for the walls - but this stuff is 5/64th by .020 and 3/64ths by .020 - I did one and with the first pull of the masking tape broke off a 2 inch section - so I knew that was not going to work for me - he also used his finger to dab some paint on the edges - my fingers are way too fat to do that - so here is my solution - use the stencil brush - or at least that is what I call - t to accomplish the same thing - first pic - I put down some double faced tape (read third hand) and put all the pieces after dunking them in A & I side by side - I used my fat finger to spread thinly some white paint on a post-it and then alternately dabbed with the brush the paint and then the wood until I got the effect you see in the photo - pic two- BUT what about the sides of the boards - those are the ones Brett was dabbing with his finger - I put all the boards face to face and stuck them on the third hand and dabbed the edges in the same way - turned them over and did it again pic three - final results
    imageimageimage
  • Hi Elliot,
    Glad you feel well. The walls look great! This looks like a really large structure on your workbench. Looking foward to seeing the windows.
    Jim
  • Nice work Elliot.

Your turning this into another beauty.
  • just a quick update - finished lining the windows and doorsimage
  • Man, the texture on that peeling paint looks awesome, Elliott. The third picture on the March 2nd update is especially convincing. Can't wait to see these walls all together.

Bill
  • Thanks Bill - it really isn't hard and sure comes out cool - Here are the first couple of windowsimage
  • Great work Elliot, the peel looks awesome, on the walls and the windows.
    Dirty glazing really looks great too, just enough broken glass without over done.

Really nice!

Karl.A
  • outstanding!!!
  • Superb. Being HO scale makes it even more superb.
  • Thanks - appreciate the compliment Brett and Karl - Wes - thanks - this kit is such a rewarding endeavor - everything is coming out so well - directions are perfect - so far.

While listening to Katie Melua, I finished the "long" wall - the windows glass really is cool sandwiched between the frames and everything is cut so precisely that they are just right - enjoyable to work on. Also a close-up for those who need to count rivets.
    imageimage
  • Really, really nice! It has that "feel" already...and you've got the peel down perfect. Windows are dead on nice....geesh..what else...-K
  • That'll do it!
  • Too kind folks - just plodding along with the superb instructions -obviously lots a attention was paid to writing them - did the rest of the windows to the dulcet tunes of The Bandimageimage
  • I like the "wiped away the dirt" look on the windows. I tried this also on other models...maybe I picked up the idea from you.

Are you putting your shop up on cripple creek? Don't forget to use the weight when glueing you roof. I couldn't resist.
  • Hi Elliot,
    I have to ask how you get the windows to look like someone wiped them off. Could you give a small tutorial on how you are doing this? I have tried doing this following Brett's instructions. Sometimes the effect is excellent. Sometimes not as good. I keep wondering if you are doing something differently or I am doing something wrong.
    Thanks !
    Jim
  • Jim - its a two step process with me, I take a q-tip, dip it in alcohol and wring it out, swirl it on the dirty side of the pane, then take the dry other tip and wipe off the alcohol - result is seen in the pics - if that isn't enough, do it again or get a clean q-tip and start over. - where you see my panes are not to well cleaned it is just my laziness for not finishing the job - top panel are not cleaned - to high for the lps
  • "...aaaand you put the load right on me!"
    Cool. That brownish tone in the mullions is a nice touch. What's up next (on the build and on the playlist!)?
  • Thank you Elliot. This is a really great technique.
    Jim
  • I am fascinated. This peeling paint technique Brett has cooked up and you are using so effectively is amazing. It's hard to believe I'm looking at HO. I would have guessed at least O, if not F! I can hardly wait to see this unfold and to get my kit. I'll have to push it to the top of my project list - there's so much going on that I'll want to use elsewhere. Thanks for the great work, and the effort to share it with us.
  • Those windows look great Elliott.

Something i need to use sometime.
  • edited March 2013
    OK- I'm back - a couple of bad days but better now-sorry for the delay - and thanks for the comments - greatly appreciated -

Here are the sliding shop doors - I had a little trouble with this assembly - the “H” column that the rollers sit on warped when I sprayed it black- I used Floquil paint and that was the cause - should have used a cheap enamel
    -anyway that is why the thing looks a little crooked but the one foot rule takes care of that - also the little goodies that you put on representing the bolts kept sliding around - probably due to handling buy Mr. Chubby Fingers here - also I found that the backing to bring the door out far enough to hang properly was not adequate and I needed to add an additional piece of scrap wall to raise it up enough - I would have loved to have them just hang there but there was not enough space provided for that. This is a great detail that takes patience but it is well worth the effort - take your time and you will have an eye-popping detail.
    imageimage
  • Doors and hardwear look great Elliot !!! The aging and deterioration perfectly matches the walls, really nice job.

Karl.A
  • Looks great E! This little scene here is a holdover from the machine shop. The ms was released 12 years ago this month and the evolution in detail between the two sliding door scenes is nothing less than remarkable!
  • great job E! Walls,door and hardware look fantastic.
  • Great detail. I love the colouring on the metal plates on the doors.
  • Nicely done Elliot (always enjoy watching your builds), the walls are looking fantastic, but I think they'll need a paint job soon ... :)

Paul
  • Doors and windows are looking great. Can't wait seeing it going together.
  • Thanks guys for the support - feels good to see folks are enjoying my build.

One of the things that I enjoy about building Brett's kits is that every page seems to have new innovative projects - case in point are the doors - here are the first set - I jumped ahead a bit and finished one set to see what the outcome would be and try to find a way to mass-produce them - not to likely as each piece while the same is different, just like real life - the ends of the hinges are yet to be glued as I am not sure just what angle the doors will hang - they look great in person - nice touch, Brett.imageimage