visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Sawmill Complex On30 Module

Comments

• Thanks Alan....Joe
  • Joe, it is breath taking! Please continue to show us more as you continue . . .

John
  • Will do John, once I start to chronicle a project I like to finish it off. The others who have built the sawmill and posted here and on other forums have been a huge help for me. The construction manual is terrific, but looking at photos of finished sections is also very valuable.....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Progress report. This past few days was one of installing pillow blocks, shafts, wheels and belts. Very detailed work; thank goodness for the construction manual, templates and photos.....Joe CCCModOn30 imageimageimageimageimage
  • Wow . . .

John
  • Thanks John.....Joe
  • Update for the week is the sawdust bin, which is just a super little structure. The coloring of the wood was modified (by Brett) by adding a bit of gray chalk over the standard color. It totally transforms the wood making it lighter and brighter. Sorry for all the photos, I couldn't stop taking shots of this little jewel.....Joe CCCMofOn30 imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Joe I like everything you have going on here but have some reservations on the sawdust bin. Either the wood looks too new or the iron looks too rusted. It seems to be telling 2 different stories.
  • Thanks Bryan, appreciate your observation....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Hey...could be new wood......using old parts....throw up a ladder with a carpenter with a hammer.....and you have a great mini scene telling the story....Great work Joe.....I'm going to start posting some of my pictures since I made some time to get back to work on mine.....
  • Hi Muddy: Thanks for your comments. I actually did this on my 2011 diorama of the Mill Engine and Boiler house. Worked out well, I always like a ladder or two in the scene. Look forward to some photos from your build....Joe
    CCCModOn30
  • edited March 2015
    This is some really fine work, Joe. I just went back and had another look at the flooring...texture, color, spacing, nail holes all are extremely well done!

I'm not sure if it bothers you, but I think what stands out on the sawdust bin isn't so much the color but the placement. To my eye it looks as if it were sprinkled around instead of piling up due to spillage or over flow. I'm trying to envision what would happen in the area when they were working and I wonder if there wouldn't be a big mound huge of it on the ground right under the chute door.

These are mostly modern operations, but I think these pictures show what kind of dirty sloppy process collections and removing sawdust is:

Something to think about.

• Thanks Bill, I appreciate your comments and taking the time to post photos. I agree more scenic work needs to be done in that area, but that will be one of the last items to be accomplished to the diorama. There will definitely be a pile(s) of sawdust, good idea....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Right on, Joe. You've done such an awesome job on this I figured I'd take a chance on mentioning it in case it was an oversight.
    Looking forward to more!
  • A small update for a small structure. I built the maintenance shed which goes on the rear loading dock. Interesting instructions from Brett: the wood is reclaimed from a barn and he gives you free reign to make it look really old and worn. So I grabbed my tools of destruction and following is what I ended up with. Off to a train show this coming weekend with the module group, so probably not much progress next week....Joe CCCModOn30imageimageimageimage
  • edited March 2015
    Great looking wood tones Joe and nice weathering too. The knots came out great.
    One thing that's kinda bothering me is that I have to force myself to look past the nailholes before I see all that great work. Same on the sawdust bin.
    I hope you don't mind a suggestion but for me personally they are a little too jarring. Sizewise they are good but I think they need blending down some in colour.
    I would do this by putting a tiny amount of the wall chalk dry on a tiny detail brush and just touching the nails to dull them down and blend them in.
    Try this on the back of the sawdust bin to practice and see if you like the effect.
    It appears you are using a mechanical pencil and for me the black is a little harsh.

Just my opinion so disregard at will,
    everything is looking superb and you are making great progress.

Karl.A
  • Joe, I don't what's they're talking about. I sure you have the right idea. I had summer job cleaning out saw dust bins, it's a messy job and a very dangerous one. Having too much air borne sawdust is an explosive hazard. I was constantly having to not only clean-out the bins but all the spills around them. Then lug it to a fire pit and watch it explode there when I dumped the wheelbarrow. What fun!

As for the finer details, I tend to leave them to the end when the whole diorama is assembled. I then can see what is visible and what stands out the most and then provide the continuity through the structure(s); but that's just me being lazy.

Can't wait for the next steps.

Marty
  • Hi Karl: Thank you for your long time continued support and postings on my modeling, it is greatly appreciated. You are right on with the use of a mechanical pencil on the knots. I will give your comment on toning them down a try.

Hi Marty: That's quite a job you had; watching the sawdust explode must have been an adventure. Thanks for your comments. I take all input from my fellow modelers seriously and appreciate you taking the time to follow the build. These type of forums are so valuable in this regard.

-Joe CCCModOn30
  • Hi Everybody

I'm new to this site and have ordered my first kit from Brett (sawmill). The modeling I have seen so far has been exceptional. I can't wait to get started on this new kit.

Rick
  • Welcome Rick, it's good to see that you made a great decision. We look forward to seeing your progress and build, just as soon as you finish rummaging through the box, reading the manual and get your thread started.

As you were mentioning exceptional builds, I'm looking forward to Joes next update.

Karl.A
  • Welcome aboard Rick, please post your build. It's very rewarding to get feedback from fellow modelers on this site.....Joe CCCModOn30
  • It is exquisite . . .
    John
  • Thanks John
  • Hi: Update- had a great time at the train show, but not much in the way of building progress. I did take a group of resin castings and had time to on put the initial coats of alcohol and chalk. I had primed them previously. When I returned, I built the last three walls for the sawmill; actually a big moment as the basic structure is done less the roof and a multitude of details.

Thanks to Karl for his comment on the nailholes. I filled them in with chalk and they turned out fabulous !! Keep the comments coming....Joeimageimageimageimageimage
  • edited March 2015
    Great start on the castings Joe. The sawmill kit has a fantastic casting assortment, so many of them are brand new, designed and mastered during the development of this kit.
    Your shelves, cabinets and benches look fantastic and a great start on the barrels/drums.
    Love the colour and variations of the walls and the knots came out really well, really nice job.

Looking forward to more updates on your work on the castings as you progress through some more of them.

Karl.A

I hope you don't mind me pointing it out, but, while I was closely admiring your work I noticed that you have stuck down/primed a couple of castings on their side. Brett's castings are so clean and detailed on all sides I have done this several times myself only realize too late when doing the final colouring/detailing/placement.
    So, hopefully this pic will save you some time.

• Good morning Karl: Thanks for your kind words and the time saver on the 2 castings.
    After handling 107 resin castings, they all start to look alike :>)

-Joe CCCModOn30
  • This is not a very exciting update photo, but I'm like 95% complete on coloring all the castings. The paint cans, labels, and handles are just terrific. And that roll around cart, WOW. I'm looking forward to taking these items and making the sawmill come alive with activity....Joe CCCModOn30image
  • edited April 2015
    Hi: Update for the week, which has been great fun. The casting were completed with further detail required once in place. The 3 interior walls were installed with added castings. There are 6 mini-kits (if not more) constructed with the castings, photo attached. I really like the roll around cart and the office scene. I also glued the maintenance shed in place. Looking pretty good....Joe CCCModOn30imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • It's really looking good as it comes together.
  • Hey Bryan: Thanks for your comments and following along. You have been an important influence by leading the way with your sawmill construction. I'm always reviewing your build....Joe CCCModOn30