visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Sawmill Complex On30 Module

Comments

• Everything is looking perfect, Joe. I like the texture and color of the wood. The gears and machinery looks real. The color of the gears is lifelike.
    John
  • Thanks John. Funny what happens when you follow Brett's instructions to the letter :>)
    Joe CCCModOn30
  • Working on the log haul ramp, not a lot of modeling this week given the holidays. Got the basic design done and interconnect to the log deck.....Joe CCCModOn30imageimageimage
  • Great work on the slipway Joe, I'm excited to see it at the next stage, and maybe an overall pic with it in place. Very nice modeling.

Karl.A
  • Love it! Can't wait to see how it all looks with a pond... should be awesome
  • Thanks for your comments Karl & Brett. It's coming along nicely, taking a little longer with all the details and designing as I progress.....Joe CCCModOn30
  • If I don't stop adding details to this log ramp, I'm never going to finish. The last item is to add hand rails along the walkways, which is in process. Hope you like it...Joe CCCModOn30imageimageimage
  • Joe I dont like it, I love it.
  • Great weathering and colouring Joe, really nice indeed, such good 'work'.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Wes and Karl, comments appreciated. At a train show this past weekend with our On30 group, so should finish up on the ramp early this week and get moving on to the actual sawmill structure again.....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Nice, Joe . . .

John
  • Thanks John. Final photos of the ramp and log deck. Need to add the ramp chain with claw fittings(?) which will be done later after final gluing of the new log ramp pieces. I sat the structure on the On30 module to see how it looks. With the added pieces, it is 40" long, but fits nicely......Joe CCModOn30 imageimageimage
  • Looking great Joe....you are inspiring my direction on my ramp and log pond.....I'm just finishing installing the piers...and have been fiddling with the ramp design....I haven't put any pictures up yet since it would just look like duplicates of yours....I will have a few up once I finish my ramp....still pondering the roof clearances.....
  • Outstanding Joe. This kit alone is huge, but, you've turned it into a monster.. (an extremely good looking monster !!)
    The log-haul/slipway is a great addition and you executed it beautifully, very well done.

Karl.A
  • I love those hand rails Joe . . . .

John
  • Hi MuddyCreek: Sounds like you are making progress, looking forward to some photos. Thank you Karl and John, comments are appreciated....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Hi: I had always hoped while planning the sawmill complex modules, I would be able to show off the sawmill structure and other buildings at local and possibly national model contests. The stars have lined up and me and my wife are planning an RV trip to Portland, OR for the NMRA 2015 National Convention in August. I will enter my SierraWest sawmill diorama in that contest, and yes I'm very excited about this opportunity. This will require building a separate diorama instead of making it part of the On30 module. Details to follow as we move forward.......Joe CCCModOn30 image
  • As big as this structure is Joe and what a great job you are doing on it I think breaking it into a smaller diorama is an excellent idea. It will allow you to focus maximum attention on the structure and its immediate area.
    Your award winning Mill Engine & Boiler House is an outstanding diorama, I am really looking forward to your work on this one.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl, I hope that everyone follows and makes comments. I recall all the comments and recommendations I received from Forum members on the Mill Engine and Boiler House. It made a huge difference on the final outcome.... Joe CCCModOn30
  • I really like the way the ramp turned out.
  • I was originally going to build the log haul as well but decided that there wasn't going to be enough room on my layout to add it. I agree with Karl that if your sawmill is anything like your mill engine and boiler house you'll be looking at another winner. Very nice work...David
  • Thanks Dave...Joe
  • This weeks effort centered around preparation of planting the sawmill base on the diorama module. I'll let the photos do the talking.....Joe CCCModOn30imageimageimageimageimage
  • Wow. Very exciting to see the progress. great colouring and detail. I too hope to add the log pond when I finally have a year set aside to build this fantastic mill. I'll certainly be looking back at this thread for direction.
    Joel
  • Great progress shots Joe!
  • Did you do some modification to the pad for the twin cylinder?
  • Thanks Joel and Brett for your comments. Bryan- I just recently ordered the mill engine and boiler from Brett. I cut out a plywood version of the pad to keep the area clear of dirt and debris.....Joe CCCModOn30
  • I absolutely love that concrete base Joe.

Care to share your technique?
  • Great update Joe, the first layer of dirt is an exciting time, so much better than looking at the blue foam, suddenly things become 'real'.

Looking forward to following along with your next step.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl, I agree. I have been super detailing the underside with wood debris, leaves, sawdust, pine needles, etc. Looks pretty good when viewed from the sides. I am getting anxious to start the flooring.

Hey Wes: The concrete technique comes right out of Brett's construction manual, which I follow pretty much as printed. Take 3 Rembrandt chalks: 704.5 grey, 408.3 & 408.9 raw umber and scrape some in a dish. Take rubbing alcohol and make 3 medium washes. Randomly paint/dab the washes on to the casting. I let mine dry and then dab (not paint) your favorite A/I wash over the entire lot. Done....Joe CCCModOn30