visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Sawmill Complex On30 Module

Comments

• Pine needles??? How are you dyeing the stubble you're getting out of your electric razor?
  • Joe, this is looking fantastic. Can't wait to see more . . .

John
  • Thanks Mike & John, comments appreciated....Joe
  • Hi All: Progress report, no major items just a bunch of little ones. Finished the sawdust blower plumbing, put planking around the mill engine and boiler areas, added a log kicker to the log haul ramp, and glued the ramp to the log deck which allowed me to add the chain and log drive dogs. Also spent more time adding clutter and sawdust to the under floor areas- details, details, etc. Next up is the sawmill flooring, this is going to be fun...Joe CCCModOn30imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Coming along very nicely Joe....David
  • Oh boy, Joe, Wow . . .
    John
  • The detail and finish in your first picture is just superb Joe. Everywhere you look in that picture there is detail and intricacy, I can just keep staring at that picture and see more and more. the belts, drive shafts, airducts and so on, and on, the scenery underneath it all looks great, bark chips mixed in with the sawdust, debris everywhere, really nice job.
    The log haul just blends perfectly with the rest of the structure.
    The splash of green on the log kicker piston adds a nice touch of colour to the scene. Cant wait to see it after you've added some wear and tear to it and blended it down, it's going to look fantastic tucked away next to those heavy timbers.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Dave and John, appreciate your kind words. Hey Karl, you are going to give me a big head with all those words of encouragement, and thanks for the tip on toning down the log kicker. I get so involved in getting the job done (installing the log kicker), I often overlook some obvious details. These type of forums and the quality people who participate are just priceless ...Joe CCCModOn30
  • Seeing your log pop actuator painted reminds me that it was bothering me that I didn't paint that detail.
  • Hey Bryan: Let's get with the program...:>) Joe
  • What are your thoughts on nail holes in the sawmill flooring? I couldn't tell if anyone had done that or not. Techniques? Thanks, Joe CCCModOn30
  • Hi Joe, I put nail holes in all my floor planking. I use a regular pin with the head cut off inserted in one of my pin vices. I then proceed to poke the pin into each plank when laid down, that way all the holes are not so uniform like a poncewheel does, and they don't look so obvious...David
  • Here is a photo of my floor....Davidimage
  • Thanks Dave, comments and photo appreciated. This is similar to how I make nail holes; I also have a mechanical pencil with a very sharp point which I put into each hole and gently twist.......Joe CCCModOn30
  • Working on the floor. I have the first 4 sections done, fairly straight forward, looks really nice. The dry application of the 3 chalks after staining is absolutely amazing. The aged patina it develops is over the top, will definitely be using this technique again.

-Joe CCCModOn30imageimage
  • I like the irregularities in the boards. Did you find that you lost the woodgrain after the application of the dry chalks?
  • Hi Bryan: The grain still shows through, although not nearly as much. The wood looks aged,smooth and worn, which I guess is Brett's intentions? I'm going to take a small piece of copy paper and rub it in the areas that would get a lot of foot traffic. It acts like very fine sandpaper(?) and smooth's out and shines up the wood.....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Joe, I like everything you have done. The effect of damaged planks on the deck is interesting.
    John
  • The floor boards in that last picture look incredible Joe, beautifully done.

Karl.A
  • John & Karl: Thanks for your comments, appreciated. The true color and texture of the boards look much better in person. I don't know enough about my digital camera to fix that. I decided to add nail holes as an additional detail, they look pretty good. Will post a photo shortly....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Big Day at the sawmill. I continued decking (and adding nail holes which takes forever) and finally get to permanently install the saw, live rolls, and dead rolls(2) machinery. Boy does it look great, I can almost smell the sawdust! Installed the 2 head frames and pressed on with the flooring on the other side. Hope you enjoy....Joe CCCModOn30imageimageimageimageimage
  • Joe, I like it all. The ail holes, wood texture and color. Really nice . . .
    Respectfully,
    John
  • Thanks John. Taking the time to add all the distressed wood details will eventually pay off on the completed model. Or maybe I have some sort of detail disease? Joe CCCModOn30
  • Finished decking the loading dock and the last of the nail holes. Added the belt to the headframe and started building the 3 walls. Installation of the 3 walls was time consuming for me. Trying to get everything lined up and square was a chore, but I took Brett's instruction advise and moved slowly and precisely. It worked out fine, but I'm glad its behind me.

-Joe CCCModOn30imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Most impressive. I'm glad to see you were able to keep from breaking off the lever on the live rolls.
  • Thanks Bryan, I kept the lever tucked under the floor joists until the decking was installed......Joe CCCModOn30
  • Absolutely fantastic Joe, I really cant say anymore.

Karl.A
  • edited February 2015
    Coming along nicely Joe. Is your detail disease contagious? Because that's one disease I'd like to catch...David
  • Appreciate your comments guys. It is contagious David, I'm pretty sure I caught it from Karl A. whose modeling skills are on a different level than us mortals....Joe
  • Beautiful work.