visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Sawmill Complex On30 Module

167891012»

Comments

• Joe,

I have been following your build on this sawmill project all along and you have given me great ideas for my scratch built sawmill project. Your work is wonderful, and this the winner of the Best in Show Award at the NMRA convention.

Steve
  • Hi Steve: Thanks for the kind words, I'm hopeful that the diorama will do well at the contest. Glad you picked up some ideas for your sawmill...Joe CCCModOn30
  • Absolutely stunning! Congratulation on a job well done.
  • Hey Bryan: Coming from a master modeler like yourself, that means a lot. Thanks for leading the way.....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Update: I had some group members over for an impromptu meeting and they came up with a couple of great ideas to add details to the sawmill. The boiler is wood fired and they noted there was not a lot of ash around the fire door. Fixed that and decided to add an ash pit to store spent material. They also noted that some minor leakage around the fire barrels might look good; or is it left overs from the crows? I wanted to box up the diorama for travel protection (700 mile trip) and came up with a U-Haul garment box which fits perfectly. I added some handles and it will ride on a dolly if needed. I'll be heading out one week from today for the NMRA Nationals in Portland, should be fun....Joe CCCModOn30imageimageimageimage
  • Good luck with the transportation. Better have a mini-fix kit with you. Glue, tweezers, etc. just in case some items get dislodged.
  • Good idea Bryan, it's done and ready to go...Joe
  • Keeps getting better and better. Ash looks great!

Good luck Joe - hope you enjoy the show and we will be looking forward to your report when you get back home!
  • Thanks Brett, hope to add to your collection of award winning models....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Hi: Back from the NMRA Nationals and it was terrific. Lots of stuff to do both modeling and real train stuff. The model contest was also terrific with many very high end models, especially in the diorama categories ( kit built & scratch built). The quality and workmanship was way up there.

I earned a second place in the judged kit built-diorama category and a special Dean Freytag structural award- nice! And to put frosting the cake, the winning kit-built diorama was another SierraWest O Scale sawmill. The modeler was from Oregon and he did a superb job on the structure. Way to go Brett and Karl on designing and manufacturing such an awesome kit......Joe CCCModOn30image
  • Congratulations Joe. Much deserved awards. Your sawmill complex is wonderful and I am really glad your achievement was honored this way!
  • Thanks Brett, quite a journey.....Joe
  • edited September 2015
    Outstanding work deserves such accolades......Great job on the build...I can only hope mine turns out as well....I've taken plenty of hints off of your mill as I too am doing a mill pond using the log haul.....I like your idea of the separate engine to run the haul too....gonna borrow that.....and I plan to have a powered log dump on the pond.....pictures will be going up soon....A lot of credit goes Bretts way too as he developed the kit....as I have pondered for years as to how to build my mill.....I've had the machinery for about 6 years....its about time I get this going.....Again Joe...Great build...you did fine work!
  • Congratulations
  • Thanks Bryan. Hey Muddy: Look forward to your postings and thanks for your kind words.
    Joe CCCModOn30
  • Joe,

Great modeling. Your work is wonderful.

Steve
  • Thank you Steve, I appreciate you following along....Joe
  • Congratulations on the awards Joe. Really very well done indeed. Such a beautiful job.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl....Joe
  • Wonderful work Joe and you thoroughly deserve the awards for it.

Whats next?
  • Thanks Wes, you have been a long term supporter and it's appreciated. Next up for this season is to finish the two On30 modules that will form the sawmill complex. This will involve replanting the sawmill structure on its module after adding lighting and sound. Then tons of scenic items- trees, dirt roads, water features, etc. I have one spur going to the sawmill to add. The last item will be a cabinet which will hold the modules for transport to train shows. I hope to have this done by next March 2016. Stay tuned....Joe CCCModOn30
  • I love all the details and weathering in the model. It will look great in your layout.
  • Appreciate the comments. I have attached recent photos of the 2 modules. I sat the diorama in place where it will be positioned. The outside will be cut off close to the sawmill structure (yikes!) and then a high speed rotor will cut into the foam so the entire structure can sit recessed in the foam.....stay tuned....Joe CCCModOn30imageimageimage
  • Joe,

Oh so close. Saw the scores in the NMRA magazine. I finally finished my scratch built HO scale sawmill. There are some pictures posted on the following forum.

http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=1577.0

Steve
  • Hey Steve: I looked at your beautiful sawmill, great job and congrats on you awards-well deserved.

Yes, the NMRA 1st place kit-built diorama had 110 points( another SierraWest sawmill that was beautifully done) and I received 2nd place with109 points for my SierraWest sawmill. I also won the Dean Freytag Structural Award for my work. I was pleased.

When I was picking up my model from the contest room, one of the judges stopped by and wanted to explain why I lost points for the use of plywood on the re-roof of the log haul area. He said it was not used commercially until 1905 in Portland. I said OK and went on my way. When I got home I researched the internet and he was correct- plywood commercially was not available until 1905. I also realized that the detailed paperwork and photos I submitted to the judges of my model showed the sawmill was purchased in 1914 and located in Coleman Valley and subsequently relocated in 1923 to its present location in Sebastopol, CA. So why wasn't plywood available between 1914 to 1923 on my model ? Win some and loose some!

-Joeimage
  • Joe...early in the build of the various machinery you mentioned receiving some replacement parts which you had damaged....can you offer any insight into what you did wrong to damage the parts so as to help those of us who hope to build this kit one day avoid the same problem
    Terry