visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Sawmill Complex On30 Module

Comments

• Hi Guys: Thanks for the tip on photo attachment and for your comments on the staining, appreciated....Joe CCCModOn30
  • edited December 2014
    Update: Put template #1 on the workbench, covered with wax paper and started building the sawmill sub-floor. First down are the major beams followed by the floor joists (about half done). Very strait forward and well documented in the construction manual. Joe
    CCCModOn30imageimageimageimage
  • Good start Joe and great looking colour on the timbers.

Karl.A
  • Joe,

This is looking exciting. Thanks for taking the time to show us so many photos. The wood sure looks real! I liked the looks of your flat metal brush, zoomed in on the name and read Nicholson and ordered one Saturday - can you believe my friends at Amazon delivered it the very next day - Sunday! One brush . . . big deal!

More pictures please . . .

John
  • Right about now is when you realize how big this thing is. Looking good
  • Thanks guys, comments appreciated. You are correct Bryan, this is one big ass structure. I think you will like the brush John, it's one of my favorites. I also like the one Brett recommended, the small round one with a handle. Used by plumbers to clean the inside of pipes for soldering? Very aggressive bristles. Joe CCCModOn30
  • Update: Last week was a short week due to a train show display over the weekend, great fun. I did make some progress and finished the floor joists and rope sheaves and rope drum. The rope devices were a little more complicated, as I had to deconstruct pieces from the original live rolls build to get parts which are now installed on the sawmill structure under the floor. Brett points these items out but you have to be super careful. I also wanted to tell you about a small saw which I purchased from Micro-mark but had hardly used up to now. It's from Microlux and is called a miter/cut-off saw. Given the number of cuts (joists) I made, it is my newest favorite tool. Clean, perfectly square cuts. I've attached a photo.....Joe CCCModOn30imageimageimageimageimage
  • Joe, the framework is looking great and I love your saw. What a time saver and excellent way to obtain quality cuts. Glad the show went well.

John
  • Joe, after I was about 1/2 way through cutting the piers I almost bought that saw. Wish I had.
  • Thanks John and Bryan, appreciate your comments. The saw also has a metal cutting blade, very handy. Joe CCCModOn30
  • I'm charging on with pier installation, that is a lot of piers. Built the maintenance room and loading dock. Installed the carriage track and the blower drive....Joe CCCModOn30imageimageimageimageimage
  • Wow . . .
  • Hey John: Exactly what I said when I installed the last pier :>) Joe CCCModOn30
  • Great pictures of great progress Joe, looking perfect so far.

Karl.A
  • coming along nicely Joe!
  • Thanks for your comments, having a great time.....Joe CCCModOn30
  • You got the most tedious part of the build done and it looks good. All of those piers look very straight.

Looks like you are going to build this on a level grade. Have you thought out how the boiler is going to look/fit under it's roof without blocking the view to the log roll?
  • Hi Bryan: I'm departing significantly from the manual in this area. The main reason for the level grade has to do with the On30 module specification I need to meet, and the fact there are 2 modules which have to mechanically connect. Also, 3 years ago I built the Sierra West Mill Engine and Boiler house and will use that diorama as my source for power. It will be located right next to the sawmill. That brings up another challenge as how to connect the mill engine output shaft to the sawmill. Oh, did I mention my logs will be coming into the sawmill via a log pond! Another challenge, but all great fun.....Joe CCCModOn30

FYI- I have attached a photo of the partially built log pond, the sawmill placement (machinery only at time of photo), and the mill engine diorama placement right next to the sawmill. The On30 modules are 3' X 5' each, a fair amount of real estate. Thanks for following along. image
  • It's going to be very interesting to follow your changes Joe.

Karl.A
  • I think this will look great with a log pond. Will your boiler shed diorama be put in place as is? I was trying to think out how to connect it to the sawmill myself and the fence and clutter out back keeps getting in the way.

Your crew should seriously inspect the integrity of that bridge before they cross it.
  • Thanks Karl. Bryan- the crew has fixed the bridge !! The output shaft is fairly high coming out of the boilerhouse. I've been thinking about small bents/trestles/ structures that are above the ground (6-8' ?) and running the shaft on top of these to the sawmill. I once saw a photo of a real sawmill showing this, but didn't save it unfortunately. You are correct, the boiler shed will be put in place as is, but will be cleaned up (deforested) as needed. Appreciate your comments.....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Continuing on, added additional bracing to the piers as needed and what looked good to me. Ran the rope for the rope drum assembly. As previously noted, my sawmill will be fed from a log pond so need to integrate the existing log deck/ramp into the new sawmill structure. The photos show what I came up with. The glue was still drying on the trestles, so the final photos will be coming shortly. A fun little project...Joe CCCModOn30imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Looks outstanding...I am faced with the same issue...the mill pond....I have yet to get started due to work overloads.....I like your idea.....hope to be at the same point you are soon.....just stained up some wood last night.....let the building commence....again...Great Work!
  • Nice log haul
  • Thanks Bryan. Look forward to seeing your work on MuddyCreekRR, hope you post your efforts....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Final photos of the log deck trestle add-on with braces and nbw's. I sat the log deck on top but not yet glued, it fits nicely. Next up is the log ramp which I'm starting today. I want to assure all the pieces fit together before final gluing.....Joe CCCModOn30 imageimageimage
  • Excellent adaptation!
  • Looking terrific Joe, great matching, and mixing.

Karl.A
  • Hope to have some photos up soon Joe...I should be about to the point you are soon. Have you looked at the possible adaptation of the roof line over the log ramp?...I have a few ideas as it looks like it needs to go just a bit higher and wider....I was thinking of adding a celestory type addition above it....need to do a few mockups to see what will work..
  • Thanks Brett and Karl, your comments are welcomed. It was a fun little adaption as is the log ramp extension I'm presently working on. Look forward to your photos and I really hadn't thought about the roof line yet, sounds like a good idea.....Joe CCCModOn30