visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Sawmill Complex On30 Module

Comments

• I'm just getting caught up on this thread and your work continues to be outstanding, Joe. The splits & cracks, color and weathering on the timber portions of the machinery is impeccable. That's not to take away from the metal parts, however!
    Very inspiring!
  • Could you post a link to the picture taking forum please Joe?

Id like to have a look at it.
  • Thanks Bill, glad you are back and enjoying the work.

Hi Wes: It's on the Railroad Line Forum (www.railroad-line.com) and it's called Railroad Photography Forum. Tremendous amount of information.

-Joe
  • Thanks Joe.

Im on that forum too. You are correct, there is some good information there.
  • Some in process photos of the log deck. I really like the look of this structure. I added some metal straps (styrene) and NBW's for additional detail. Hope you enjoy....Joe CCCModOn30

• Wow!
    Just Wow!
  • Its not often that a model can show up so well when photographed from so close. Yours look pretty darn good Joe.
  • Thanks Alan and Wes. I very much appreciate your comments and following along. It's hard to believe I'm working on kit #8; only 2 to go. :>(

-Joe CCCModOn30
  • Final photos of the Log Deck. This was a fun kit to construct and it looks great.

Karl A. sent me a comment on how to make wood deck boards look used from heavy foot traffic and abuse. Take sandpaper and gently smooth out the surface and then polish it up with copier paper. In my case, I used (1) 220 grit then (2) 600 grit on the skidway. I then took a small piece of copier paper and rubbed it on the surface. The result looks terrific. One of the photos shows the result. I will use this technique on other pieces of sawmill machinery wood decks. Thanks Karl!

Hope you enjoy.....Joe CCCModOn30

• Another great looking piece of equipment Joe. Really excellent modelling.
    I'm glad you like the look of the polished effect, you really nailed the "worn smooth" look in pics 1 & 3.
    Really an outstanding job on this one.

Karl.A

( the green hydraulic, piston thing looks ..ummm..... too clean....
    A very light dusting of black chalks maybe, with a small soft brush ?? )
  • edited February 2012
    I forgot to mention...
    Your modelling really stands up exceptionally well to the extreme close up pictures. A real testiment to how well you have constructed the models.
  • Thanks Karl for your comments. And you are spot on with your comment about the clean look of the hydraulic piece, I'll take care of that as suggested...Joe CCCModOn30
  • Hi Joe,
    I must reiterate the comments of Bill and Wes. Simply impressive work. I,m following your build and learning a lot.
    Thanks for posting and keeping us up to date.
  • Hi mcrr: Thank you for your comments and for following along. I've also learned a lot about castings and terminology used regarding sawmill machinery. Oh, and I'm having fun.........Joe CCCModOn30
  • Up next is kit #9- Log Haul. This is actually 2 kits in one. The first part is the wood frame and machinery which attaches to the log deck. This equipment is used to pull the chain that pulls the logs out of the log dump water.

The second part is the actual log skidway or ramp that the logs slide on from the water to the deck. I'm not building that yet as I need to modify and interface my existing log dump module to the new sawmill module when constructed.

Enjoy....Joe CCCModOn30

• My On30 log dump module. The existing skidway or log ramp is heading in the wrong direction. I'll build a new ramp once the sawmill module is constructured and the sawmill structure is in place. Joe CCCModOn30

• That looks like quite a layout. I think you need another layer of water on the pond. Some of the logs are very high.

Seeing your module makes me wonder how many logging blocks and which sizes would it take to string a spar tree up. I'm sure not ready for any scenery yet but will pose this question to Brett and order when the sawmill is ready.
  • edited March 2012
    Hey Bryan: The module is 5 years old and the water has shrunk. When I modify the log skidway I'll add another layer or two. Good eye....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Hi Folks: Following are the final photos of the Log Haul kit; #9 of 10. Almost to the end.

Hope you enjoy.....Joe CCCOn30Mod

• I like how you have put special attention to the smallest of details. For example: the cut ends of the lumber look to be brushed and aged.
  • Thanks for your comments Bryan. I cut all my lumber with a course saw and then brush most of the ends with a file cleaner wire brush to add depth and an aged look.

-Joe CCCModOn30
  • edited March 2012
    Curious about the two drums at the bottom left of the last picture near the operator's control; on the real hauler were those connected by a belt or was the force transmitted through the friction of direct contact?
  • edited March 2012
    Another excellent addition to the set Joe. All the individual pieces are fitting together beautifully and blending together really well.
    In a way I will be sorry to see the last one completed, but then again, excited to see you progess to the next step and bring them to life within a structure.

Karl.A
  • Hey Mike: The smaller of the two drums is labeled 10" paper friction and the larger 30" iron friction. The one on the lower right is called 24" drive wheel and I'm assuming it would be turned by an overhead belt.

Thanks Karl for your comments. I'm with you, I wish there were 20 kits to build instead of 10. I have really enjoyed building these pieces of machinery and have learned a lot about sawmill operations. It will be a happy and exciting day when the sawmill kit arrives at my front door- Go Brett Go!

-Joe CCCModOn30
  • Just did a bit of searching and happened upon this, thought you might find it interesting. http://images.library.wisc.edu/WI/EFacs/USAIN/WILumber/reference/wi.lumberv3n04.i0003.pdf
  • Thanks Mike, the article was terrific. Those sawblades look like something out of a horror movie....Joe
  • edited March 2012
    I also found this; I'm wondering if the finish on that 10" paper drum should be something other than what appears in your photo to be polished metal.
  • Hey Mike: I was wondering the same thing. There are several pieces in these kits that have friction drives; log turner, live rolls. As best I can tell from the instruction photos, they appear to be polished metal but it would make more sense to me if they had some sort of coating.

Anyone out there have any input? I'm a lurking member of the 4L yahoo group, think I'll pose the question there. Thanks for your input Mike, great question.

-Joe CCCModOn30
  • that would be great information to know... especially what types of coatings in what era.. did they change and "modernize" the material? When worn did it appear shiny or dull? etc.... The 4L crowd would be the place to find that out for sure as there are some genuine historians that follow that!