visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Sawmill Complex On30 Module

edited December 2011 in O Scale Builds
I am a new member on this forum. I am a member of the California Central Coast On30 Module group in Northern California. We build On30 modules and as a group display them at train shows in the local area. I have 5 modules that represent a free lance logging and mining operation in the late 1800's to early 1900's. Last year I decided to build a sawmill complex module(s) and decided on the SierraWest Sawmill complex in O scale. The first part of the kit is the mill engine and boilerhouse which I completed last winter (photos attached).

This winter's project is the sawmill machinery kit hardware series "WP", which consist of 10 sawmill machines plus a overhead shaft line kit and saw blades. I chose SierraWest based on the kits high quality standards, the openess of the sawmill structure, and the instruction manuals. This is only my second craftsman structure build, so all the helpful hints and techniques presented in the manuls are priceless. I hope you enjoy the build as much as I enjoy building it. Comments and suggestions are openly welcomed.

-Joe in Morgan Hill, CA CCCModOn30

Comments

• I guess I didn't do something right with the photos. Any suggestions? Thanks, Joe
  • You need to download (see string re the "resizing" software then on right side of the K size you will see an "insert" icon. This will place the pic inside your comment and allow us to view.
    Welcome to the forum for there are exceptional modelers in here and they are generous with their knowledge to help us all improve our models.
    Happy new Year.
  • Thanks Alan plus I found a picture description that was written by Bill. Sooooo, I'll give it another go.....Joe

• edited December 2011
    Joe,

Great to see you here,
    Welcome.

Karl.A
  • Welcome aboard, Joe. Hope you'll invite the rest of your module group to join our little forum.

Second build??? Wow! I'd say you've got a knack for the hobby. Looks really nice. I'd like to see some close ups of your work when you have time.

Please keep us posted on your build with plenty of pictures and details.
    Looking forward to more!
  • The Mill Engine and Boilerhouse diorama is terrific. I know Joe has won awards with it - much deserved! It would not be out of line if you filled us in on those awards... Now the machinery is moving along quite nicely and I am really enjoying following along!
  • Thanks Karl, Bill and Brett for the warm welcome. I know it will be fun working with the masters and a learning experience for me. Just a clarification Bill- this is my second craftsman kit build ( framework, board by board construction, etc.) . I have been building models since age 6 which is over 60 years ago. I started back into model railroading 8 years ago and got into On30 modules 6 years ago.

The module group I belong to went to the National Train Show and NMRA National X2011 event in July of 2011 in Sacramento, CA. Four On30 California module groups put up a layout which covered over 2600 square feet, one of the largest ever attempted in the U.S. In conjunction with this effort, I decided to enter my SierraWest Mill Engine and Boilerhouse diorama into the NMRA model contest. This was my first attempt in a NMRA judged contest. I did good, a picture is worth..... besides, Brett made me do it.

-Joe CCCModOn30

• Well deserved as from the pics it looks awesome.
    Many ideas available from the craftsmen on this forum.
    Your work is great, well done Joe.
  • Congrats again Joe, as Alan said it was a well deserved award and I'm sure one of many to come.

Karl.A
  • Welcome Joe, good to see you over here and I certainly remember this very well done build from RR line forums. Congrats on you're well deserved award.

Kevin
  • Thanks to Alan, Karl and Kevin for your kind words; it is very much appreciated.

Now on to kit #1 of 10- Circular Husk. This is the single blade used to cut incoming logs into usable timber. The modeling process which is used throughout all these kits is very straight forward. The wood is cut per instructions, distressed and stained with a 50/50 mixture of Floquil Roof Brown and Dio-sol (or a stain of your choosing). The metal pieces are processed by soaking in A-West Blacken-It for 2-4 minutes, rinsed in plain water and allowed to dry. Follow Brett's instructions and very detailed drawings and check the little boxes as you go. The hardest part for me was understanding the various names for the parts, but by studying the drawings it all comes together. In process photos follow.....Joe CCCModOn30

• Nice assembly Joe and good colour on the timbers.
    There sure are alot of little pieces going into that one machine.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl and you are correct; some of those pieces are tiny, especially for these old eyes. Can you imagine trying to build these kits in HO scale? Yikes!! Regards, Joe
  • Additional in process photos....Joe

• Very nice.
  • Thanks Alan, appreciate your input. Following are the final photos of kit #1. One down 9 to go. The two rods/shafts sticking out of the bottom will eventually tie into the carriage drive and sawdust blower pieces of machinery . Joe CCCModOn30

• Those ;pictures are fantastic Joe, crisp clear and really show off your excellent progress well.
    I really like the effect you have achieved on the belts, very very nice.

Is there anyway for you to remove the saw blade at this point?? or are you now too far along?

Karl.A
  • Hi Karl, appreciate your comments.

The saw blade is held on with a small amount of CA and could be removed without to much damage (I think). Since that photo was taken, I took some canuba car wax and polished the front surface. It makes a huge difference and makes the blade look much more metallic.

I'm certainly open to any suggestions you or others might have......Joe CCCModOn30
  • Very nice.
    If this continues I see ( in my crsytal ball ) another award winner in 2012 !
  • I bought a set of stainless steel sawblades in HO scale years ago and have often wondered if these are still available (or if the O scale versions would be applicable to this kit). The blades are quite thin which might be an advantage.

http://www.echomtn.com/08CAT.htm#SAW2
  • Looking good, Joe. I see that you got a good amount of tension on the belt. I remember having a hard time positioning them on my husk saw and getting the slack out so they looked tight.
    One thing I would point out is the marks on the blade. They appear to run horizontal (mostly on the side shown in pics 2 & 3) rather than a circular scuff or wear pattern. They don't show on the opposite side of the blade. Were you able to buff those out with the wax?
  • Hey Alan, I have to get one of those crystal balls! There are 2 major shows this year on the West Coast ( O scale, narrow gauge ) that I plan on attending. The first one is O Scale West in February, which our On30 module group attends every year. I hope to enter the Mill Engine and Boilerhouse diorama in the model contest. The second one is the Narrow Gauge National Convention in September at Bellevue, WA. I hope to enter the above diorama plus the Sawmill Machinery.

Hey Mike: Thanks for the link, I think I'll purchase some O scale blades if they are still available and are appropriate for this kit.

Thanks Bill for your comments. The horizontal scuff marks are on the side of the blade that I polished. I couldn't get to the other side safely. The don't show up in person nearly as much as in the photo, but they are there and something will have to done with them. Good eyes, I really appreciate you pointing that out.

-Joe CCCModOn30
  • OK, here we go with kit #2, the second blade for the circular husk. Many medium to large sawmills added the second blade to accomodate larger diameter logs. I can only imagine what it would be like to see these 2 blades tear into a large log. The photos show the kit and some in process shots, hope you enjoy....Joe

• edited January 2012
    Great work on the second part of this machine Joe, I'm looking forward to more. These are really coming out nicely.
    I can only imagine what it would be like to see these 2 blades tear into a large log. ....Joe
    There is no need to just imagine Joe... here you go.... at around 1min40 you can see the double saw and log carriage in action.

There is also another video of the mill in action you may like in the following thread.....

http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/vanforum/discussion/32/sturgeons-mill.-restoration-project-video.#Item_1

Karl.A

• Thanks Karl, that was awesome. The Sturgeons Mill is reasonably close to home. I plan on going there for sure this year to observe one of their 4 operating sessions.

-Joe CCCModOn30
  • Glad you enjoyed it Joe.
    When you get to the mill make sure to take lots of pics for the rest of us to enjoy!!!

Karl.A
  • Will do Karl. A couple members of our module group have visited there and they say it is just incredible. Definately on my list of must do in 2012.

Following are the final photos of the second blade. A really fun project; 2 down 8 to go.....Joe CCCModOn30

• Beautiful.
    Just beautiful.
  • Thanks Alan, really appreciate your feedback...Joe
  • Up next is the carriage hardware, kit #3. This is a very neat looking piece of equipment, should be fun. I'll be out of town for a week, so not much progress will be made outside of the following in process photos..... Joe CCCModOn30