visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Sawmill Complex On30 Module

Comments

• Fantastic pictures Joe of some superb modeling. The roofing really is a milestone and adds a lot of 'mass' to the structure. Terrific progress.
    As Bryan shows the roof is easily removeable by simply not gluing select panels down.

Great work.

Karl.A
  • That's the crane I used. As I mentioned I used the base and hook/block and scratched the rest. The wood post seemed to go with the framing better.
  • Thanks Karl, comments appreciated.

Hey Bryan: I'll build mine per the kit and see how it turns out. I sure like yours...Joe CCCModOn3o
  • Hi: I'm still here, just really busy building all the roof segments. Many pieces of strip wood to grain and stain and learning how to use Radio Shack etchant to weather metal pieces (nasty process but the results are fantastic). I'll let the photos show the result to date...Joe CCCModOn30imageimageimageimageimage
  • Superb. Love the color of the metal roofing. Main roof panels are going to look perfect installed.
  • Thanks Brett, comments appreciated. I worked very slow and diligently trying to make the roof sections perfect; we'll see how they turn out....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Looks fantastic joe, those roof panels are going to look perfect on the mill. Working slow most often pays dividends.

Karl. A
  • Thanks Karl, can hardly wait to complete the roof system. That also means the sawmill structure is 99% complete .....Joe CCCModOn30
  • On page 131 of the construction manual, the last box to check appears. Install the mill whistle and check the box....DONE ! Brett writes a short congratulations message. I imagine that all major builds of this magnitude have both good days and bad days. This is a super day and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. I hope you enjoy the photos.

Up next is scenery elements and a nice wooden frame to outline the diorama. OH, I still have 30 or so detail parts- must find a home for them......Joe CCCModOn30imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • It looks fantastic. I like the extras you added like the wagon and fire extinguisher.

You're in the home stretch now.
  • Thanks Bryan, appreciated. I have another wagon to build which will be out by the sawdust bin.....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Hi: This will be the last update for a while, as we are heading back to Boston on vacation and when we return are heading to Sonoma Raceway for the Nascar race in our motorhome. See you in July!

Been working on the scenery ( about 75% complete) and decided to put a roof structure over the log haul equipment. Actually they took off the old roof and are adding a new one. I wanted to leave the log haul equipment totally accessible, as I find the gears and other bits really neat to look at......Joe CCCModOn30imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Superb Joe, the mill just looks incredible, such a fantastically completed kit, I'm sure you are proud, as you should be.
    Looking forward to you getting back from your vacation(s) and putting down the last finishing touches.

Karl.A
  • As always Karl, I appreciate your comments. I really enjoy adding scenery; it's shocking how much the diorama changes with little touches of green and brown in the bushes, grasses and trees. I am really excited about taking the sawmill to the NHRA National model contest in Portland this summer....Joe CCCModOn30
  • edited June 2015
    I cant wait till you get that scenery finished and blended, and then, take it outside for some pictures on a cloudy, overcast day, it's going to look outstanding.... (not that it doesn't already).

Karl.A
  • The roof addition that's in progress makes for an interesting story.
  • Hey Karl: Cloudy and overcast is CA, we'll see? Thanks Bryan, I've added some more construction clutter, looks good....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Hi Joe,
    I've been following your build for quite some time. As I said to Bryan recently, I may have to switch to O scale. The old eyes would probably appreciate that. I'm really in awe when I look at what you two have accomplished with the recent builds. Your Sawmill is just outstanding in every respect.

If I remember correctly, you plan to visit the Sonoma county Sturgeon Mill in the future. I live about 10 minutes from it and, believe it or not, have never been there. I have just recently gotten into the logging aspect of modeling so need to start getting educated. So, if you wish, let me know when you are coming to these parts and you can either drop by my place on the way or I can meet you there. Seems like you would be a good guide.

Hope you have a great trip to Boston and look forward to more posts from you in the future.

David U
    Back to Discussions
  • Hey David: Just got back on town, thanks for your comments. I visited Sturgeons a year or two ago and it is a must see for anyone interested in sawmills. I will definitely go back again, not this year with all my planned activities. Looking forward to resuming work on the diorama, I see the light at the end of the tunnel!!

-Joe CCCModOn30
  • Hi: Back at it, been working on the scenery and details. Our module group does several train shows each year, and one of the favorite things people enjoy are animals on the layout. So, time to add some to the diorama. I have more (ducks and turtles), but need to add the log pond, which is next......Joe CCCModOn30imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Ahh, another cat person!
  • You got it!....plus a dog and cockatiel and outside humming birds....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Hi: Update for the week. 3 in-process projects; the first layer of water in the log pond and stream; starting to outline the diorama base with wooden trim pieces; and a sawdust/scrap wood cart which will reside next to the sawdust bin. Enjoy.....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Oops, forgot to upload the photos !!!imageimageimageimage
  • Joe, you have done a wonderful job finishing off this kit! Scenery looks great too.
  • It really looks good. The extras really tell a story, especially the log haul. I'm looking forward to watching the pond come to life.

One area I noticed that you may want to revisit. Look at the first photo on 6/25. The greenery at the right looks like it has been edged. I think if you put just a bulge or 2 cutting into the path would make it look less manicured. A good example of what I'm trying to describe is the hill on the left of your first photo today. It has nice rounded edges that gently curve.
  • Thanks Brett, building this masterpiece of a kit has been very enjoyable in all aspects. I see a nice bottle of champagne in my future, once I declare it finished.

Hey Bryan: Thanks for your comment and your observation on the greenery/path is right on. I'll fix it......Joe CCCModOn30
  • Everything is superb Joe, such a terrific modeling achievement.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl, and thanks once again for all your work on getting this kit to market....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Hi: Well, the big day has come. The sawmill structure and diorama is officially COMPLETE! Not that I won't be adding bits, and moving this, or painting that- you know how that works. I'm working on the documentation for the NMRA Nationals model contest, which I will enter with the sawmill in hand. Hope to see some of you in Portland in August. Thanks again for all who have contributed over the months of construction, really appreciated....Joe CCCModOn30imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage