visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• that is one awesome looking diorama. it's a shame you don't have a layout, because it would be a fantastic layout.
  • Right Mike, I made the trees. I will PM you regarding the electrical details.

Thanks much Art.

Thought about it years ago Kevin but I model slow enough as it is without having to work on a layout also!
  • A cup (or two) of coffee and Ken’s pix—what a way to start the day!
  • AWESOME!!! I agree with Karl, the way you utilize the space and make things look so natural is fantastic. Hope you are going to post some more close up photos. The buoy really adds to the whole effect.
  • There ya go Al!

Thanks Tom. I'm on my way outside with this thing to get some close up shots of the details. More later...
  • Took some detail pictures...first round will be from the "front" of the diorama.

IMG_5788

IMG_5857

IMG_5858

IMG_5839

IMG_5848

IMG_5843

IMG_5864

IMG_5865

IMG_5840

IMG_5836

IMG_5860

IMG_5844

IMG_5863

IMG_5861

IMG_5850
  • Interior lighting shots.

IMG_5910

IMG_5912

IMG_5911
  • I am glad that you have installed lights in the project because it shows off the fabulous details you have installed in the otherwise dark interior.
  • Your level of detail sets a new standard. I really enjoy looking around and finding new surprises buried deep within each scene.
  • holy mackerel! this is a guaranteed best in show. you have to enter this in a contest. it's spectacular.
  • It's very interesting how this build has come together. As we followed along with your build, enjoying the details being constructed, we certainly got a sense that this would be amazing... BUT, never could imagine just how incredible the final dio would appear.
  • edited March 2023
    I agree Stephen, the lights make a big difference. Shelby’s is a perfect structure to have interior lighting. Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks so much Bryan. I’ll post additional pictures soon of the rest of the diorama.

Appreciate that Kevin! I will never enter a model in a competition. If I take a model to a show it will be display only. I have my reasons and may start a new topic to air same.
  • Awfully nice of you to say Brett! Really appreciate the support through this project. Real privilege to work on such a wonderful and iconic kit from the SierraWest Scale Models stable. The water portion of the work was so much fun and relived it turned out OK without any disasters!
  • Superb Ken. Just no words to truly describe your work. You take the best kits in the world and add so much personality to them.....Rick
  • Ken, it takes a long time to read War and Peace but it is a literary classic. It took a long time to see the final pictures but they reveal a classic.

I like the rowboat next to the dock picture. Lots of unexpected details.

I especially like the last picture with the lighted interior. It shows off your workmanship and the essence of a Sierra West kit.
  • After looking at this again & again!! If this was at the Narrow Gauge Convention it would be Best of Show hands down!!

This is really museum quality!!

Jerry
  • incredible. This will inspire me for a long time to come
  • So much to look at! I find more each time I look. I see you used the grate between the rails on the dock for a grade crossing. Nice touch. I also like all the little details around the little fenced in area next to the overhead crane. Simply incredible! Well worth the wait to see what you have created. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration you give through your work!
  • edited March 2023
    Ditto, ditto, ditto! A beautiful overall design with many, many mini-scenes and beautiful detail parts wonderfully presented! We can all go to school looking at this marvel.
  • edited March 2023
    Jerry said:

After looking at this again & again!! If this was at the Narrow Gauge Convention it would be Best of Show hands down!!

This is really museum quality!!

Jerry

except, i've never seen anythinjg quite this outstanding in any museum....
    i think it deserves its own gallery page.
  • Thanks so much Rick. SWSM kits beg to be built!

I appreciate the patience Mitch as I'm a slow as we have all come to tolerate! lol. The row boat was a fun scene to put together. I now see I need to put some tension on the bow line loop. One of these builds I'm going to get a bit more studious on my lighting. I'm doing the minimum but really does make a difference as you mention. Thanks for your support Mitch as always.

Nice thought Jerry, but I get more value and enjoyment from sharing and knocking elbows with you all than any award I may, or may not, win. As I mentioned to Kevin, I will not enter any competitions but would enjoy displaying my work at a show if I can manage to get to any. Really miss hanging out and hobnobbing with you fellow modelers. Why would I like to display...simple...it generates conversation and it goes on from there. More fun if you bring something to a show. My Dad use to say "it's like going to a car show without a car...just not as much fun"

Hey Ben...wow man, that's about as nice a compliment as I can imagine getting! Knowing that my work inspired someone is gold! Thanks my friend.

Thanks Al! I actually thought about counting every individual detail part I placed on this diorama. May still do that just for fun...we'll see.

Thanks Kev. Too kind buddy!

• Unless anyone wants any specific shots this will be the last group of photos.

I got tired of hauling this thing outside for pictures! Some of the following pictures were taken indoors and are not the best.

IMG_5770 (1)

IMG_5932

IMG_5946

Signature burn barrel scene. I don't think I can do a diorama without one!

IMG_5951

Not happy with this picture...oh well...

IMG_5883

Modified Hoist House. Shortened to allow for the covered two drum hoist. Added rear open shed roof.

IMG_5853

Added the two drum cable hoist and shed. Foundation is the original kit piece.

IMG_5937

Tall boy step ladder to reach the boat...right...the one that's not there!

IMG_5783

Boat cradle detail.

IMG_5851

Preparation for re-painting the row boat.

IMG_5888

IMG_5891

IMG_5954

My feelings are hurt that nobody mentioned the damn fish! I decided to create a fish cleaning station on the Bait & Tackle Shop pier. I did something that was against my better judgement and that was to include an animal in one of my dioramas! Oh well...always good to get out of your comfort zone. Forgot to put the fishing rod in the scene. I'll get a picture...HO scale fishing pole!
  • Superlatives are not enough to describe your work Ken. And everything probably has been said already. So what does that diorama actually mean? Quality time I’d say. For you as the builder, that’s obvious. But for me it means lighting the fire place, pour a cup of coffee, sit down and marvel at the pics and dream away on how to create a little world myself from Brett’s kits. It’s childhood joy. So thank you for that.
  • Wow what a wonderful build well deserved praise from everyone.
  • As much as I like the overall shots, I really like to dig deep into your detail work with the close ups. Outstanding presentation.

That must be a tough fish to need a hacksaw.
  • Thank you Jeroen, such a nice heart felt take on modeling and encapsulates the lure of the hobby so well.

Thanks Kevin and what a great bunch of modelers here! I would take you guys over any competition any day.

Hey appreciate that Bryan. I agree, I love the subtile details that aren't readily apparent until you get your nose into it! Hacksaw the heads off those suckers! lol...
  • o'neill's fabrication makes filet knives on the side. give him a call.....heheheh
  • I have to confess that I didn't notice the fish, but now that you've pointed them out, they are awesome; what a great little scene. There are so many fantastic scenes in this diorama, so you can't blame us for missing some. Really easy to get lost looking at everything that is so very well done.
    I don't know what it is about the gas pump scene that really catches my eye, but it is amazing too. Hard to believe this is HO, you should be very proud of this.
  • Lol...I guess I'll give you a pass on not noticing the fish!

Appreciate your thoughts here Jim. The fueling scene was a lot of fun to work out. Wanted it to be a bit unassuming so tucked it up under the tree and next to the chain link fence.
  • I too missed the fish...it looks like a prehistoric coelacanth......