visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• Very nice detail with the rope and canvas cover. Not usually thought of. Nie of you to still keep us involved. What kit is going to come next? Randy
  • i knew girls like you in high school.....
  • kebmo said:

i knew girls like you in high school.....

haha, 'tease'...

But, we know Ken will be worth the wait.
  • Teasing again!!! Beautiful story and detail.

Jerry
  • Nice little detail! Can't wait to see the final product. I know it's going to be amazing!
  • Hey thanks Randy. I'll confirm, but I believe the HO/HOn3 release after Shelby's was the Logging and Tractor Repair Shed.

Ha, I hear ya Kevin...I knew a few as well!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Karl!

Thanks Jerry...not much but keeps things moving.

Thanks much Tom. Hopefully pictures over the next couple days and posting this weekend.
  • edited March 2023
    Finished up the boat that came with the Shelby's kit. The boat came as a two part solid resin casting. I performed a few modifications to the casting to achieve the look I wanted. The upper casting had two simulated wood doors covering the access to the lower deck, all cast as one piece. I first drilled multiple holes in the casting then used my Dremel to grind off the simulated wood access hatch and hollow out an opening underneath. The hollowed out area was painted black to give the appearance of space of the lower deck. I then framed the opening in stripwood and added some stairs and simulated metal doors. The wheel house originally had a curved front with openings without actual windows. I decided to add actual window castings but the curved front of the wheel house would have required scratch built frames and curved "glass". I wanted to just drop in regular window castings so i made the front of the wheel house with three flat panels with windows. I added a prop and rudder to the underside, deck details, painted and weathered everything to taste.

IMG_5675

Starboard side (deck drain holes were added)

IMG_5663

Port side

IMG_5674

Bow view showing the modified wheel house front.

IMG_5673

IMG_5648

View of some of the deck details.

IMG_5662

Heavily modified opening to lower deck and engine compartment.

IMG_5650

Good view of the added lower opening and stairs.
  • Here is the prop and rudder I added for extra detail and visual interest.

IMG_5667
  • Amazing. Great job with the modifications too. It all looks fantastic.
  • Great modelling.
  • Kevin L said:

Great modelling.

no kidding. jeez....
  • Thanks Jim. Forgot to mention I'll be adding handles and hinges to the doors.

Thanks much Kevin L.

Appreciate that Kevin. Just made the first water pour on the diorama. Second pour tomorrow, then the surface texture and done!
  • Sweet! Is the boat in the water or out? I think I missed that part.

I think a grunge ring around the waterline would be spot on and right up your alley. And it needs a name.
  • Thanks Bryan,

The boat will sit on the boat carrier out of the water and will not be attached and removable.

You're right about the grunge line, didn't think about that so appreciate the steer.

I know the thing should have a name and wrestled with that and in the end just didn't do it. I'll revisit that...only due to the peer pressure! hehe.
  • Well, excuse me for a minute while I pick my jaw up from the floor. Ain’t this just breathtaking? You’re really raising the bar Ken!
  • Appreciate that my friend! Been checking on the first water pour and so far so good. No leaks and the color is what I was hoping for.
  • Looks great so far, looking forward to seeing it in place.
  • Thanks Karl.
  • The first water pour went well. No leaks and it set up well. The next pour will establish the final water level and will be followed by the surface wave texture.

IMG_5693

With the next pour I will increase the opacity of the color as it is a bit too clear which isn't giving me the illusion of depth that I want. Probably a mute point once the wave texture is applied.
  • edited March 2023
    Another point to make in dealing with the resin "creep" we dealt with before...I added moss and algae along the rocks at the shoreline which the resin crept into, giving a really nice wet look to the algae. Making an inherent problem work to an advantage.
  • That turned out nice. I like being able to see the submerged ground. I know you are going for more opacity, but this works.

Clever way to take advantage of the creep.
  • I think once the surface texture is on the illusion of depth will be fine. Thanks for your thoughts Bryan, and may just make the second pour about the same opacity and count on the surface work to enhance the look of depth.
  • Good God does the detailing ever stop!! What a beautiful looking boat!!
    And the water pour perfect.

Jerry
  • I’m doing Foss’ Landing so I’m taking notes on your boat detailing and the resin pour. The moss/algae idea sounds great! Thanks for taking the time to post in detail. It’s definitely worth it!
  • Thanks so much Jerry!...really appreciate ya.

You bet Al. Soon as I'm done here, I'm going for the final pour this afternoon. Just about 24 hours from the first.
  • Boat turned out GREAT! I'm surprised you didn't add any submerged debris along the banks of the water. The rock work is very good also. The subtle peak at the details on the pier look really nice. Can't wait to see the final reveal.
  • Thanks Tom, appreciate it. The main reason I didn't add any debris was that most of the shoreline is steep falling off quickly to deep water. At least that's what I tried to convey. Being an ocean front with tides and waves, there might not be much debris that would stay put. Anyway, that's my excuse Tom! lol. I know that stuff looks cool with a water pour like this.
  • Here is the same view right after the second pour. There is a slight increase in the opacity which I think gives a better illusion of deeper water. Still a few bubbles to remove.

IMG_5698
  • what are you using to make the resin dams? Thin plastic strips?
  • edited March 2023
    Al, It's Tamiya masking tape backed up by some thicker double sided tape. The Tamiya tape sticky side is fairly smooth so the edge of the exposed resin will be smooth after removal. However, it isn't very sturdy so the really sticky double sided tape lends good support and adhesion. Worked great and no leaks!

IMG_5704

Yellow is the Tamiya masking tape. The blue is the thick, sticky, double sided tape. The blue is the backing not removed on the outside.