visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• 2nd pour turned out great. The coastline disappears under the water. Very cool.
  • I think it helped a lot. Just put the surface texture on and waiting for it to dry...we'll see.
  • Excited to see this..... going to be amazing like all the others you've done
  • i can't wait for the waveage....
  • Ken you are a master with all things in this build. I am happy to see the resin pour looking so smooth. What did you use for the water? The boat is a little gem in an out standing build. What was used for the net hanging over the side of the boat. Super job Ken on all aspects of the build. Randy
  • Hey Thanks Mike...too kind my friend!

The project is completely done Kevin. waveage turned out OK, I'll let guys see what you think.

Appreciate that Randy. I'll post some pictures of the products and methods I used for the water and surface texture. I was happy with how the boat turned out as I was a bit apprehensive going into it. I have a smaller boat tied up to the dock that also turned out OK as well. The netting is fabric Tule that is frequently used for wedding vails when not being used for modeling! I spray painted it and used some pigments to dirty it up a bit. It's thin but when folded over itself several times gives some volume appearance to it and it looks more the part.
  • Nice day today in Ohio so I got some initial pictures of my finished Shelby's diorama. Over the next week or so I'll get more pictures of the details and closer shots of the various mini scenes, etc.

I'll start things off with some pictures of the water and associated details.

IMG_5720

Later pics will show the boat in the boat haul carrier.

IMG_5749

IMG_5743

IMG_5746

More later...Ken
  • Well now, thats pretty danged incredible.
    Outstanding.
  • Holy crap, this is so awesome. I love it. You've really captured the feel of this seaside establishment. So cool to be able to see the different depths in the water too. This is museum quality; you should be so proud of this accomplishment. I am in awe of your work. Great job. A+
  • Ken a fantastic work of art. Was the buoy part of the Kit or did you scratch build it? It looks perfect. Now all you need are some seagulls and evidence of them having been there. BEAUTIFUL. Randy
  • Thanks so much Karl.

Hey Jim, really appreciate your thoughts here.
  • Best I've seen, looking forward to seeing more...
  • Very nice Ken, and what a different take it is on it.
  • No words can describe that scene!! A true craftsman's doing what he does best!!

Jerry
  • Just wow! Incredible job on the water (not to mention the rest of the build).
  • Outstanding build!
  • Karl.A said:

Well now, thats pretty danged incredible.
    Outstanding.

hear hear!! that turned out fantastic!
  • Unreal! That's a Hall of Fame entry for sure!
  • Well Randy I certainly appreciate that. The channel marker buoy was a plastic kit that I added for some visual interest. Yeah, bird crap on the thing would be cool. May add that detail later but it was one of the last things I added and I was fading fast!

Hey thanks again Karl and coming from
    You means a great deal. I’ll get some additional pictures around the diorama at some point soon.

Thanks Stephen

Appreciate that Jerry, nice of you to say.

Thanks so much Grant…was happy with how the water turned out.

Thanks much Bryan

Thanks Kevin

Appreciate that Brett.
  • what's next?
  • The marker buoy out there in all that water—what a great design idea! Really anticipating the closeup pix.
  • Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy..... that looks phenomenal!
  • Fantastic build.
  • Incredible work. I have been waiting a long time for these overall pics and they are even better than I expected. Awesome Ken, this is a whole new level of modeling and I hope to see more soon! Congrats on a stellar build!
  • Well Kevin, the next kit released after Shelby's I believe was the Logging and Tractor Repair Shed.

Hey thanks for mentioning that Al. I felt the near field, when viewing from what we can call the front, needed something. The buoy fit the bill perfectly as it gave some context to the expanse of water, added visual interest, and contributed to the maritime feel of things which I didn't do a very good job with! I'll work my way around the diorama with some pictures and then get a few detailed shots at some point.

Thanks so much Mike!

Thanks a lot Kevin.

Appreciate that Jeroen. Feels good to finally button this project up.
  • More pictures as I work around the diorama:

IMG_5731

IMG_5770

IMG_5735

IMG_5753

IMG_5733 (1)

IMG_5773

IMG_5774

IMG_5776

IMG_5779

IMG_5780
  • On a diorama this big, with so much 'space' it's always hard to fill up the 'dead' areas convincingly.
    Yet you always manage to do it so well and make the large areas look full, busy and, most importantly 'natural'.
    A great gift and skill you have.
  • No doubt my friend...the fear of empty space! Thanks so much.
  • Did you make the trees? Where did you get the electrical boxes and telephone pole insulators?
  • Phenomenal....I keep looking at the photos to try and see all the details.....and all in HO....unreal...I love to try an O scale version some day....