visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• Ken has it right, and as usual, the execution is outstanding.

• Ken.
    Ouch so harsh..............

Ken's modelling was questioned, he showed that he was right.
    I don't see what's harsh about that.

• edited January 2023
    I don't either. I was just worried about our oversized flanges hitting the bolts on the inside of the rail. Randy
  • there are some small fish plates out there....I think San Juan
  • Glad to see you added a handrail to the staircase. Safety first.
  • Hey Karl, appreciate that my friend. I do put a lot of effort into my track work and in 1:87 scale is a bit tedious for sure. Things like nail holes and rail joiners if made to actual scale would be hard if not impossible to see or notice.

Lol...right on Randy...I would never put those rail joiners in like that if I was actually trying to run trains as they would never clear. Works great for a static model and once weathering and scenic work is done they give the appearance of proto track.

Will check that out Art and thanks for the steer.

Yup, lose your footing on those stairs Bryan, and it's a one way trip into the drink!
  • Beautiful work as usual! It's all in the details!

Jerry
  • Thanks so much Jerry. For sure it is...details,details...
  • I can't find the photo I have of the EBT rail joiners (fish plates)....but I remember the bolt heads being on the inside of the rail...and the nuts /washers on the outside...and the heads being kinda small....in mainline practice....most railroads used these plates to keep the rail together and aligned....for temporary track work...not so much....Since I'm doing a layout in a 25 x 15 foot space...hand laying of track is not that easy....I may do it on deep backwoods spurs...but my mainline is all Peco....for dioramas....hand laying is the way to go...
  • That structure is integrated into the landscape very nicely! My knees are aching looking at those stairs!
  • Hey thanks Tom. The stairways associated with the Bait & Tackle Shop add a ton of character to the structure. Takes a bit of planning to get it properly integrated into the hillside as you mentioned.
  • edited January 2023
    I'd love to see this in O scale....have some ideas for my waterfront......a while off though....Looking so good
  • Hey thanks Art.
  • Can't wait for your next update!
  • edited January 2023
    Peer pressure!....Quick update on Shelby's. I have basically finished the floating dock and ramp. The ramp has a steel rod and hinge type affair to allow the ramp to move up and down with the dock. Will have some additional details on the dock itself later on. Getting there...

IMG_5372

IMG_5384

• Wow Ken, this is fantastic. I feel like diving in off that dock. I love the rock work, so darn realistic. Great job.
  • HI Jim! Appreciate that my friend.
  • That is an outstanding detail idea Ken! Many docks had that floating function. I have never seen one modeled. Just excellent!!!
  • Hey Thanks for pointing that out and your kind comments. I haven’t seen that done either. Came up with it after looking at reference material and wanted to give it a go.
  • A neat feature to model for sure.
  • Very well done Ken !!!
  • Great idea. Thanks for sharing all your work with us.

Jerry
  • Very nice Ken, you must be expecting some very high tides.
  • Those three shots are pure quality Ken. The scenery work is outstanding.
  • I thought it something a bit different Bryan.

Thanks Robert!

You bet Jerry.

Thanks Stephen.

Hey Karl, Thanks so much.
  • Ken, if you gonna be a bear, might as well be a grizzly bear! RAWR. Outstanding sir.
  • Thanks much my friend!...
  • edited January 2023
    The 'shale' along the shoreline blends perfectly with the rocks giving such a nice transition, colouration and texture in that last pic is so perfect on everything.
  • Appreciate that Karl. First time doing a waterfront scene so learning as I go!