visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• GREAT work on those pilings! Like how they are warped towards the top and bend in different directions, and the banding really turned out nice. The water line weathering is also very nice.
  • Thanks much Jim. The baking soda works fine however, the rest of the coloring is done with pigments so it's just easier to do all the steps with pigments.

Appreciate that Kevin.
  • Love it...I think the NBW's look ok...if you have smaller...they might "disappear" into the scene different.....Going to school on this as I have a waterfront planned (if I ever get that far)
  • Thanks Art. I think you're right. The NBWs look fine once placed on the diorama. Hopefully when I get to the water its not shown as an example of what not to do!
  • Ken, you always raise the bar with everything you do!
  • Great job with both the pilings and the land form. Randy
  • I'm not a fan of doing water...I always hate trying to do it.....I've used the foam board painted coated with gloss medium...working in ripples with a hair dryer and the gels to add some "waves" or current.....I always mess up the poured water stuff.....Good Luck with yours...
  • I like how the 3rd from left looks like a pile driver put it in place.
  • Wonderful, love the piling group.
  • Hey thanks Mike. I post these small details now and again, as once everything is together they get a bit lost in the overall scheme of things...and...I model slow, so it helps to keep the thread going!

Thanks Randy and appreciate the note.

Right Art, I'm looking forward to it in most respects coupled with a bit of apprehension! I have researched the process and have secured my products. I'll be doing two pours at 1/8 of an inch each, then add the surface detail. Might be a good time to try and do a video of the event?

Really appreciate your critique Bryan as you always have an eye for the fine details. It is so enjoyable to work up these type of details and someone takes the time to comment, thanks my friend! Funny thing with that. If you notice that one and the one on the far right, I placed the pilings on a hard surface and tapped the tops with a hammer to simulate just what you mentioned, the mushroomed tops as if they were driven in by a pile driver. Both started to break near the middle as you can see, both are bent, which does give a nice effect but that's why I didn't do it to all of them. The longer the piling the worse this problem is, physics of course. May try carefully clamping them in a smooth jawed vise and tap the ends...I'll come up with something as I do like the look.

Thanks much Brett. Have since re-done the NBWs to a smaller size...much better.
  • Do I have this right? You took square strip wood, made it round, and added knots?! You are really giving to the cause of craftsmanship!
  • edited December 2022
    Yeah well...stupid is as stupid does! The kit includes doweling for this purpose, but I thought I might run out, and I wanted to have a couple different sizes for added visual interest and had only square stripwood! In fact, I just got back from a run to Hobby Lobby and picked up some even larger dowels (not square this time!), a good stock of popsicle sticks, and some balsa veneer for the diorama sides...first time sprucing up a diorama in this manner (see results below)...I think Bryan shamed me into sprucing up the sides of my dioramas!

IMG_5276

• edited December 2022
    As I mentioned, I re-worked the piling grouping with smaller NBWs and while I was at it, modeled on that was bent and pulled out a bit.

IMG_5278 (1)
  • Ken your attention to detail is such a joy to observe. Your modeling is an inspiration to us all. Thanks for your modeling. Randy
  • As always....Looks realer.....than real....
  • Appreciate ya Randy and thanks much.

Thanks Art, guess that's the end game and as long as it stays fun!
  • I'm sure the dressing will look fantastic.
  • Those look really great Ken. Love the "slipped" band and weathering from where it came.
  • I like the tops where they flare out a bit...evidence they were driven in with a pile driver...I live on the ocean and these are a common site...they look dead on perfect
  • Great feed-back Art, appreciate it. The rest of the pilings are in and I did more of just what you're talking about...just more carefully so as not to break em!
  • wish I had a photo of the wall near me by the breakwater.....moer than a 1/4 had some kind of split....once that are 1/2 into the sand...they ain't coming back out. I've also see 2 pilings set ifo a damaged one too.....and the heights are never the same
  • A mighty fine job on the pilings! And you can picture how the shore line will look.

Jerry
  • Right Art, the reference picture I’m patterning has the steel bands to the tops to help manage the tendency for them to split. Should have made the one I did with the broken band split! Many more opportunities to do that!

Thanks Jerry. That little section is my prototype for the remainder of the pilings.
  • I have the boat out of the water already....otherwise I'd get you a photo of the ones near me....they are almost 25 years in the water and are due to come out.....I have a photo of our fireboat ifo some...but I cant find it right now....but you have the right look for sure...Now I want to do some.....but I need to focus on the Water Tank....
  • Would love to see them. They are a nice change of pace and fun to do. Good thing as there are quite a few!
  • Outstanding Ken, you're ability to see the small, real life details and then replicate them sets your modeling apart.
  • Karl.A said:

Outstanding Ken, you're ability to see the small, real life details and then replicate them sets your modeling apart.

that's for sure. there are several modelers on this forum that have that skill, and i am in awe of all of them. that's why i practically live here.
  • Thanks so much Karl. Many firsts with this project.

Appreciate that Kevin and what a great time and place to be modeling!
  • Have the basic landforms done with final scenic work and detailing on them coming later. Have the base water color done and should give a good base for the water pour. Much more to do...

IMG_5292
  • It looks very good Ken. I can't wait to see it all comes together, with the water, scenery, and especially your beautiful buildings. Looks natural. Randy