visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• Impressive!

How deep of a pour do you anticipate?
  • comig along great. anxious to see it take form.
  • Thanks Randy.

Appreciate that Bryan and I plan on two pours of 1/8 inch each.

Thanks Kevin.
  • You'll probably need to brush up on your calculus to calculate the volume needed for 1/8" pour.
  • wonderful base. cannot wait to see it all come together!
  • Looks fantastic. The colouring is spot on rocks and piling look great. May need about 400 seagulls to populate.
  • There in lies the problem Bryan! Thanks so much for bringing it up! lol. It cost $46.74 for 375 ml. of final product volume. My gross estimate is I'll need 316 ml per pour...maybe...

Hey thanks Brett. Fun getting to this stage in the project.

Thanks Joel. I plan to tone down the vibrant color with the water which I'll tint a brownish green. Haven't modeled anything warm blooded in my dioramas other than Homo sapiens!...we'll see.
  • Great job on the land forms. Really turned out nice! The water color looks good and the pilings really add a lot to the scene.
  • Thanks Tom, appreciate it.
  • Ken, your work is always an inspiration.
  • Glad to hear that Mike and thanks. Happy Holidays.
  • Looking good...water color is spot on...
  • Oh my… awesome work Ken. It’s such a joy to see this all come together now. I’m very curious how the water will turn out. I’m starting with the groundwork of my wood logging thingy soon and although it’s completely different your work is again so inspiring!
  • Hey Jeroen, nice hearing from you my friend. Appreciate your thoughts here and no one is more curious than me as to how this "water thing" will turn out!
  • If that's the basics! I can't wait to see the next steps to this wonderful diorama!

Jerry
  • Well thanks Jerry. So much more to do and the water pour is dead last. It is nice getting it to the stage as the end game is more evident in my mind.
  • Ken..what kind of water do you use...(brand not important).....I try to stay with a clear brush on gloss material over the wet pour...
  • I'll be pouring a two part clear resin tinted with a few drops of paint in two pours of about 1/8 inch each. I'll detail the surface with a transparent acrylic gel to get the appearance of moving water.
  • I’m familiar with this approach Ken, I used it myself a number of times on dioramas. The effects can be awesome. You will probably be using acrylic paint to tint the water. Be very modest with the paint because it will blur the resin very quickly up to a point that you can’t see the basecolor that you have painted now. I’m sure you will run some tests first and perhaps there’s no need to be mentioning this but hey…
  • No, glad you put emphasis on this as I knew that you can quickly get into trouble with too much paint and there's no going back! I'll go very light as the top acrylic water effects gel will put wave texture which also will obscure the base color a bit as well.
  • They also make green, blue and brown india inks that are clear....and don't muddle the clear epoxy.....available at the Lobby
  • Ken,
    i really like the setting you have created for Shelby's. The discussion so far about your water resin pour has been very informative. I am anxiously anticipating your next steps and further instructive comments.
    Later, Dave S.
  • Thanks Dave and really nice hearing from you. The main trouble areas with the two part pour is dealing with bubbles and the inevitable creep of the resin. Putting down a final texture layer for the wave action helps hide this quite a bit. Nothing is for sure but that makes it exciting!
  • It's playing with fire, literally. A small butane torch waved over the top of the resin right after the pour will pop the bubbles. Worked great when I finished a table for the bar. Would take guts to do it around a model.
  • Ken, that water layout is AMAZING!!! Holy crap.
  • Ken, I used a creme brulee torch. They are compact, easy to manipulate, and very cheap on Amazon. They have a smaller flame, so less chance of really cremating something!
  • Right , many methods for the bubbles even blowing through a straw works. It's more getting the last bubbles before you can't anymore particularly on a larger area with lots of stuff in the water. Appreciate the suggestions.

Hey Thanks Emery.
  • That's what I used Emery. Just didn't know what it was called.
  • LOL... they are also automotive soldering torches, but creme brulee just sounded so much more sophisticated.