visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• awesome as usual! Would love to see more close ups of the details added to the porch area, especially the cabinet on the lower level. The details in the large opening are a nice touch and add to an otherwise bare opening. How about a work cart with some tools for the guy working on that engine?
  • Ken a beautiful work of art. You have reached a level of detail and texture that we mere mortals can only hope to aspire to. Randy
  • edited October 2022
    Thanks Tom. I'll get some close ups this week. Work cart is a great idea. I did include an empty crate with a few tools, etc. on it beside the shop stool. I am going to be adding a small flat bed rail car...could have that parked on the track behind the engine with various tool boxes and such.

Appreciate that Randy, I spend way too much time waffling over things but that's apparently how I model! Again, thanks for your kind response.
  • Time very well spent !!
  • Ha...yeah you're right oh wise one...I have never hurried through a SierraWest build and not about to start now!
  • Wonderful progress. Love the added 3D Printed details. shovel, hand truck, shop stove, etc... Love the motor covered by the tarp and the prop. So well conceived and executed.
  • Loving the details Ken. Great job on those.
  • Thanks much Brett. In just the details covering the stairs and second story porch, I added 48 3D detail parts! (see my follow-up post below).

Appreciate that Emery.
  • Hey Tom, you requested some close ups so this is what I came up with.

IMG_4677

IMG_4663

IMG_4680

IMG_4687

IMG_4670

IMG_4671
  • edited October 2022
    Outstanding Ken !!

The outside lighting really allows the quality of everything, the details and your modeling, to be seen clearly and appreciated.
  • Thanks much Karl. Right you are...it was just right this afternoon to get some pics outside.
  • Well, lucky for us then.

The lighting shows so well all of those little 'extras' you added to so many of the details and mini areas, the details themselves and the thought that went into getting every arrangement, placement and angle of everything "just right"...
    Not to mention the perfect finish on each and every item for the position it is in within the whole scene.

With that said, the incredible finish on the walls, stairway and decking bring this all together perfectly and the pictures show it off so very well.
  • Excellent work as always.
  • the only thing missing are the spider webs....
  • Ken your attention to detail is what really makes your modeling stand out!
    Beautiful work!!

Jerry
  • Thanks for the close ups Ken! Wow! Awesome detailing! everything is colored, weathered, and placed so very well. My eye is especially drawn to the cabinet on the lower level. It reminds me of a fish cleaning station that is no longer used for that purpose. It is a very interesting and creative addition.
  • It doesn't get any better than this !!!!
  • Hey Karl, thanks so much. It's amazing how difficult it can be to purposely model scenes like these as you well know. I fiddle around and waffle about until I get started then I go fairly well getting it together. I really appreciate your incite...we need to talk about this stuff over a cold one!

Thanks Bryan and nice hearing from you.

Thanks Kevin...you O Scale folks could pull that off!

I'm a big fan of "it's all in the details". Appreciate your thoughts Jerry.

Thanks Tom. Dang!...I should have though of that and put it over on the Bait & Tackle Shop as just that. Thanks for suggesting the close ups...I got a bit lazy taking photos I guess.

I'll take that Robert!...made my day.
  • Just fantastic. So much for the eye to take in. Amazing peeling/crackle paint job. The detail work is outstanding and your scene composure is fantastic.
  • Great composition of the scene...the colors and tones are perfect....
  • Thanks so much Joel. Nice hearing from you as always.

Appreciate that Art.
  • Ken,
    It always amazes me how a stair scene with great detail can become the focal point of a kit build. Yours is certainly a show stealer. The tables, work benches and assorted details make the scene look like an every day experience. Great modeling as always. Now where did I leave that hammer and wrench anyway?
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Hey Dave, nice hearing from you as always. Appreciate your thoughts here and Brett designed this area of the structure just for the modeler I think! So much character built into this small space.
  • As I had mentioned in my previous update, I did not put the horizontal rear brace on the second story porch vertical posts as I wanted to create an access to the Tool Shop loading dock. The following pictures illustrate this concept:

IMG_4710

The stairs provide unobstructed access back and forth from the Tool Shop loading dock to the under stairway work area.

IMG_4735

Tool Shop loading dock railing with the same metal fencing to tie in with the same concept on the second story porch. Standing seam roof here also ties in the roof of the second floor porch.
  • Nicely done! Time now to add all those wonderful details to the loading dock!
  • Tempting but think I'll wait until the structure is planted on the diorama. Not much advantage detailing it now versus later on. Thanks much Tom.
  • Looks great Ken, the access steps are a very nice addition to this area and tie things together perfectly.
  • Thanks Karl, and I think it does kind of unify this whole side of Shelby's workflow.
  • All your details on the structue railings, stairs etc are great Ken.
  • Thanks much Stephen and nice hearing from you!