visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• Ken, you have more patience than I!
  • Yeah I do drag it on that's for sure. I'd go broke doing commission work!
  • edited November 2022
    working on the walls of the shed on the back side of Shelby's main structure. I decided to model the lower part of the walls with water stains and decay. I colored the walls the base color then with a mix of alcohol and chalk pigment applied the watery mix to the bottom board ends. I used white chalk first for the main color then followed with black where the white staining ended and used the white as a map for the black. Key is to keep it very subtile. I had to fiddle around as the initial process was too stark in contrast. I then wanted to model the boards at the bottom with a few warped and pulling away from the bottom sill as often is seen on old barns and sheds. I cut off a thin disk from a scale 4x4 and glued this small square disk to the backside of the board end. Once the piece of siding was glued down the little chuck caused the board to bow out a bit at the bottom.

IMG_4787

Front wall of the shed with the weathered board ends.

IMG_4788

Note the subtile board ends that are bowed out a bit. Better in the following picture:

IMG_4801
  • Beautiful job. Having lived in a home which had a 130 year old barn, I'm familiar with what you are going for. You nailed it.
  • Nice weathering! The same warped board concept could be applied to where 2 boards are joined together on the wall. That might show up a little more as sometimes scenery and details would hide the base of the wall. The stains and decay really show up well on your wall. As always you take the grunge effect to the next level!
  • Ken, your staining to show the rotting ends of boards is beautiful. The bowed out board ends are a work of art. Randy
  • Great wood detail work, both the water damage and bowing are excellent additions to the walls.
  • Hey thanks Jim. Nice to have a first hand account of how they stack up to the real thing!

Thanks Tom and nice idea. I'll give that a go and see how it looks, so thanks for the steer.

Appreciate that Randy. Always enjoy trying new things, albeit a small detail.

Thanks Karl, something different to add some interest.
  • Nice effect.
  • Thanks Bryan...something different to fiddle with!
  • edited November 2022
    I really like the effect of the toning on the lower parts of the boards....I tried something similar weathering and also added in a bit of subtle green to show moisture causing some moss or algae....some liked it....others not so much...but you are right...it can either make you see it without "seeing" it....that hint.....or it jumps right out at you....You pulled it off....as usual
  • Thanks much Art. I like the subtile greenish tone and may try a bit once the shed is attached, good call!
  • My biggest problem is orientation of the structures on the layout...the "greening" should only be on the north and northeast of the structure....I have to watch how I plant my structures on the layout...
  • Use your compass man...north is...that way!..lol.
  • For my layout.....north...is the door that leads to the shop....lol
  • edited November 2022
    The final structural detail for Shelby's main building is the rear shed. I have the three walls done and the roof is in progress. I have the main structure sitting on a wood sill plate as seen in the photo below.

IMG_4512

Note the sill plate is a thick timber scaled with a 6x6 piece of stripwood along the entire perimeter of the building.

As such, I wanted the shed foundation to be level with this wood sill. I decided to use brick as the foundation for the shed. This adds variety and visual interest. I also added the wood shutter over a window opening. The roof will be corrugated metal for variety as standing seam, which the other porch roofs are made of, might not look all that good on such a small roof. More later...

IMG_4838

Brick foundation and wood shutter. Hinges are a bit out of scale but looks fine without magnification.
  • Ken, it truly is a pleasure to see what you come up with next. Every time I tell myself "he can't top that one", you do it again. Man that is outstanding!!
  • Thanks much my friend! made my day.
  • Wow, amazing. Always elevating the hobby my friend.
  • Appreciate that Brett. Shelby's is such a great kit, having a ball!
  • Are the electric meters manufactured or scratch
  • Hey Art...sent you a PM.
  • Does the dial on the meter spin?
  • The main building is nasty (nice electrical, paint job is pretty nice too!). The shed is killer. Fantastic work.
  • edited November 2022
    Exceptional as always! A pleasure to follow your builds. They always inspire.
  • You bet Bryan.

Thanks so much Al. Nasty?...really appreciate that and just what I was after!
  • Glad to hear Tom and appreciate your thoughts.
  • I have attached the rear shed to the main structure, added the corrugated roof and a few small details. This completes the initial work on Shelby's main building. Fleshing out the diorama base and overall schematic of the work flow is next up.

IMG_4860

IMG_4862
  • Wow Ken, really fantastic.