visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• Very nicely done,
    and good preplanning for a future feature.
  • The extra touches are always a treat.
  • Thanks Karl, it was a filler for more updates later. Stairway and railing work on Shelby's main is taking a good bit of time.

Appreciate that Bryan. Not much of an update but its a slow modelers way of keeping things current!
  • That thin board really opens the door for realistic looking wood rot and will add even more realism to the weathered roof covering. If this is filler for more updates, keep it coming. I'm learning with every post.
  • Thanks for the note Steve. Following your work closely as well my friend!
  • Love the rotting roof boards.
  • Thanks Joel. There will be a few more areas such as this as I work the roof details further.
  • you always nail the damage. it looks excellent (as usual)
  • Hey thanks so much Kevin and really appreciate you taking the time to comment! More later…
  • Seems like I'm always trying to dust off this thread! With less to do outside around the house should get some added bench time. Shelby's main structure is coming along. The roof detail work is done and now working on the exterior details within the confines of the attached dock. The wonderful stairway and deck section affords some great detailing opportunities to add some interest. Will have some image updates in a few days as I button things up. The diorama base is not far away.

IMG_4546

Typical condition of the Shelby's project work area...yes, I know where everything is...I think!

IMG_4552 (1)

Of note...I made this turn table from an old automotive brake drum. Gets the project up to a nice height and doesn't easily get moved...other than to turn as designed!
  • edited October 2022
    Thanks for the update and great shots of the work area fully 'populated' showing us all where the Karns magic happens.

Great idea on the brake drum turntable, you know Emery is gonna steal that idea, that is right up his street, taste wise.

Looking froward to seeing the pictures of the stairway, one of my (many) favorite design aspects in this great kit.
  • You bet Karl...note the remains of "the incident" on the back wall right behind Shelby's...literally launched an open bottle of AI which doused everything in its wake thus staining the wall and even got it up on the little shelves as well. Clean up was a b_____!

Yeah, I agree the stairway is such a great feature. Detailing it now and spent a fair amount of today working on and am only about half done...and that was with the structure part already built!

Right, the brake drum already has holes so its just a matter of attaching a turntable fixture to it and ready to go. Sturdy enough to put an engine block on to paint!
  • Hah! Even Ken's turntable is grungy!
  • Hey...I have always been for go...not for show! I'll put this beast up against any
    "Lazy Susan" and just say..."Next!"...Hah.
  • Your workspace is so clean and organized! It makes me want to try to clean mine up. Nah! That would take too much time away from modeling.
  • You may have just caught me on a good day!
  • So, that's what a Sierra West workspace looks like :) It sure produces some great dioramas..
  • Thanks Robert.
  • Shelby's main structure is coming along. I have basically finished the roof details with just some final debris accumulation in various places to apply. I spent a good bit of time and effort on the stairway and second story porch detailing, with a number of SWSM 3D detail parts going into the works.

IMG_4617

I added the "metal" fencing along the second story railing. I left off the lower horizontal bracing on the left side to allow future access from the deck of the Tool Shop. This is a brilliantly conceived and executed scene by Brett. So much character built into the one space. I had a ball working on this area. Note the two hanging lamps.

IMG_4644

View from the front. Love the various roof lines afforded by this view. Again, Brett just has an uncanny way of adding delicious ZIP to a structure!

IMG_4640

Love this shot showing the stairway and the inside of the shop area contrasting nicely. Critical here to have a different finish to the planking between the inside and outside to lend credibility to the scene. Also note how the paint peel that was put on after the wall was constructed to allow control of the peel to progressively get more significant towards the bottom.

IMG_4626

I'm not going to lie...if there is anything i like better than old grungy tanks...its stacks. I scratch built this one and added the folded over corrugated rain shield. I think I'll do a different type of rain shield on every build I do until I run out of new ones!

IMG_4627

Back to Brett's brilliant roof design...this is the tasty part I was referring to earlier! If that's not a classy roof designed with the modeler in mind...I don't know what is! I opted for a wood ridge cap and detailed the vents to look like galvanized hoods and bases. Decided on a metal roof for the porch for added contrast since the tar paper roof is proportionally large, and the Bait and Tackle Shop is also this type of standing seam roofing. I will also have a metal roof on the tool shop.

Have the tool shop and porch and back shed to do yet and then the hoist house, and all structures will be essentially done. Then on with the diorama base. More later...Ken
  • Wow Ken, this is fantastic. There are just no words to describe how good this is. Can't believe this is an HO project. Great job.
  • Looking good ken. The many different shots show the perspectives and quality.
  • It’s all great (as usual!). But the peeling paint really makes this one stand out! Glad to hear that there are still some structures to build. Gotta keep this going!
  • Hey Jim, nice hearing from you and appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks much Karl. Had a decent day outside photos with temps in the 70s here in Ohio. Took advantage to get the update posted.

Appreciate that Al. I was really happy with how the paint peel worked out and thanks for your thoughts on same. Right...planning out the Hoist Shed as the next structure project.

• Outstanding work here Ken...Love it...
  • Wonderful. I really like the roofs and the way the peeling of the paint changes towards the bottom of the wall and the direction of that door. The eyecatcher of course is that staircase. All those details Ken, there’s so much to look at, it’s truely amazing. I’m by now very curious what you will do with the groundwork - structure, color, vegetation… given this is a waterfront scene I can imagine loads of opportunities here…
  • outstanding as always ken.
  • Appreciate that Art.

Thanks so much Jeroen! Really enjoyed working on the Shelby's structures as both can be highly detailed while off the diorama base. However, that will be coming soon and haven't got that all worked out yet. It will definitely be a water front scene, but not sure on the details as I want something a bit different maybe even fresh water...we'll see.

Nice hearing from you Kevin and thanks.
  • Just fantastic how all those little details pull together. What a fantastic structure.
  • edited October 2022
    I agree with that Joel!...Such an iconic waterfront kit and signature structure.
  • I decided to go ahead and add some details to the North side of Shelby's. One thing that I was concerned about was getting a waterfront feel to the diorama. Naturally the water will provide that and Brett has set the stage by including a boat under repair just outside the large opening shown here. I decided to model a diesel engine under the tarp and the prop from the boat in for repair.

IMG_4652