visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Occasional Random Thoughts and Stuff

Comments

• kebmo said:

i'm from chicago. can i subscribe twice?

my wife just did.

• Awesome Kev, Thanks to you both.
  • All instructions are now live on my website so if you own a SWSM kit with the specific reference to the webpage - I have them all uploaded.
  • Great information there. Thanks.
  • thanks brett, i downloaded the ones i'll need.
  • Good to know. thanks for the heads up.
  • 101a_1

Exactly 28 years ago today, I scanned the raw version of this photograph, my first kit, the HO Scale BlueSky Company Warehouse. The date I actually took the photograph is unknown, but I am thinking about two weeks earlier. This was always my favorite photograph of BlueSky. It would be nearly seven years later before it became possible to leave film behind and convert to digital photography, but that’s a story for another time! I shot this on my trusty Canon ftb that I had been using since the mid-seventies. It was taken in my workroom. (garage back then!) I was still about five months away from shipping my first kit.

As my 30th Anniversary approaches, it is always important to look back where it all started to remind myself just how far SierraWest has come! Crazy, huh?
  • So happy you decided to go into the kit business!! You've come a long way my friend.

Congratulations on 30 years!!

Jerry
  • Oh yes, Canon ftb! That was my first serious camera. I shot mostly b&w film in the early 70's and did my own developing and printing. I always wanted a Hasselblad but raising children ended that dream. Photography is a great hobby especially when paired with model railroading and rail fanning.
    Looking forward to the 30th anniversary of Sierra West Scale Models. It will be here before we know it.
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • And many more years to come! I’m glad to have come across SWSM. It’s been a great experience!
  • Jerry said:

So happy you decided to go into the kit business!! You've come a long way my friend.

Jerry

Jerry said:

So happy you decided to go into the kit business!! You've come a long way my friend.

Jerry

what jerry said!

• Great picture and congratulations on building an extremely successful business that we've all been able to enjoy. Looking forward to seeing what the future holds.
  • Congratulations on 30 years of GREAT kits! Thanks for all your efforts. And MANY more years of GREAT kits to come!
  • Congratulations on 30 years, I am certainly glad I discovered your kits.
  • I can only echo all the above !!!! Thanks..
  • Well done Brent, that's a lot of miles on the clock. Tough times and good times no doubt.

best wishes

Malcolm
  • Thanks so much for the kind words. 2025 is gonna be a very special year for SWSM!
  • edited May 2023
    Always loved that picture too, I do kinda prefer the one with the Mack more in it though, ha.

It's hard to imagine that when you come in with a block buster kit like that and storm the industry, then what, where can you go from there, when you enter at the top level what's next?

Thankfully Brett decided that being at the top meant that the only place to go from there was even higher up, to keep improving SWSM and to keep out doing himself.

We are all so thankful for that.
  • admin said:

Thanks so much for the kind words. 2025 is gonna be a very special year for SWSM!

God I hope 2024 will bring some great stuff also!!!

Jerry

• My guess would be there will continually be some new items dropping out of the 3d printer. I’d also be pleased to see a line of generic laser cut wood items being offered…windows, doors, etc
    Terry
  • what was that michael keaton movie where there were like four of him?
  • As suggested by the name of your very first kit.
    "Nothing But Blue Skies From Now On!"
  • kebmo said:

what was that michael keaton movie where there were like four of him?

multiplicity. that's what brett needs. 4 of him.

• edited May 2023
    kebmo said:

kebmo said:

what was that michael keaton movie where there were like four of him?

multiplicity. that's what brett needs. 4 of him.

haha, lawdy, 4 Bretts...

As conscientious and dedicated as Brett is about making sure everything is perfect and up to his standards, from production to packaging I can only imagine how that would look.
    The 4 Brett's would all be going behind each other checking each others work to make sure everything was 'just right', I don't think anything would actually get done.

Quality Control would still be immaculate but shipping times may be extended by 4 times. hahaha
  • i thought of another great 3dp detail that would really come in handy around maintenance facilities. wheel sets.
  • Totally agree with that idea
  • I have both wheel sets (wheels and tires) as well as a killer radiator collection on my list of future parts to release. great idea Kevin, appreciate the suggestion!
  • admin said:

I have both wheel sets (wheels and tires) as well as a killer radiator collection on my list of future parts to release. great idea Kevin, appreciate the suggestion!

awesome!!
  • forklift

Product development moves ahead at a breakneck pace around here! New craftsman kits in both HO and O Scales are well along the way. I wanted to share this photograph of a heavily modified version of the 1924 Duat tractor with forks I just completed. The Duat was the first internal combustion forklift and truly revolutionized warehouses. For the first time, they could take advantage of vertical space by double-stacking loads. There’s nothing better for me than bringing historical accuracy to my kits. I had an absolute blast with this kit. A couple thoughts: The chain was made from iron links back then so the rusty appearance is exactly prototypical. You will notice the forklift tower is too tall to fit thru the doorway in the background. The piece is designed to fit in a doorway on the opposite side of the dock not pictured. The forklift will be a feature detail in both of the HO and O Scale kits mentioned earlier. At some point in time I will release this as a standalone 3D Printed detail, but right now it’s all about new craftsman kits here in the workroom!