visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

R.R.C aka Robert's Railroad Camp

Comments

• TERRY THAT AND ITEMS IN THE DRAWERS.
  • aye yi yi.....
  • I really like the curtains.
  • So, I am working on the office roof now. This great kit contains strips of pre-cut ( lasered) shingles in a sort of cardboard like material. Great stuff, but if you are crazy like me, you do want to go the extra mile , and go for the real deal and cut your own individual wooden shingles. There are only some 1200 !!!! to do deuuhhh....

So that's what I've been doing the last few evenings... For now , still glueing them on the cardboard but you can see what's going on here... The lasered lines are a great idea to keep them paralel. Or at least that's the general idea... I don't want them to be
    too neat...Weathering and working the edges is for later... I used walnut stripwood for this.

DSCN5454
  • Beautiful shingles!

Jerry
  • Hardly finished, wait till you see the final result....
  • Nothing like individual wooden shingles. A lot of work but worth it on the end.
  • Looking fantastic Robert. Did you use thin Walnut Stripwood in sheets, line grain, stain then cut all the many pieces? I also noticed many of the ends of the shingles are ripped/torn.
    Again Robert, you have many talents and thanks for sharing.

Pap
  • Glad you are following Pap, the shingles are just plain walnut strips which I cut/broke in same length parts. No staining, graining , nothing so far. Plain wood. I'll show you the progress later on... :wink:
  • and full of socks and undies...
  • Thanks Robert!
  • Great shingles. And where would I look for thin walnut sheets. The assumption is you cut them into strips?
  • Here in Antwerp, we can just buy them in the arts shop and in the modeling hobby shop. But before I cut them from veneer.....
  • edited November 2021
    The progress on the build. You know guys, with a new puppy in da house, not much building is possible. Jethro is a full time occupation for now...But I love him.. :smiley:

Anyways, I got the roof done ( except the chimney and final weathering)
    DSCN5455
    DSCN5456
    DSCN5458

and when we put two and two together, we'll get this... The roof is removable..

DSCN5459
    DSCN5460
    DSCN5461
    DSCN5462

more soon.... or perhaps not that soon... :wink:
  • Outstanding Robert! Love the shadowing effect on the siding. Roof detailing is expertly done.
  • Up to your usual high standards.
  • Outstanding, absolutely love the slight warp in the roof. Just outstanding. We love seeing your work!
  • Excellent! Yes as Brett said that slight warp in the roof was done perfectly.

Jerry
  • The soffit boards really add to the realism. Especially tedious to have them fit perfectly and have the roof removable! Superb!
  • can't wait to see what that removable roof is gonna reveal....
  • Great work Robert!!
    Looking forward to see more.
  • Just fantastic work Robert.
  • Thanks guys.
    Actually, Kevin, it is not only the roof, but also the whole first floor that can be taken off. I need to , to have acces to the lights.
    And a little preview of the ground floor from the door and window,.The office with some basic furniture and the stairs to the first floor. More details and decoration later, but I mustn't loose myself in details right now. :blush:

DSCN5464

DSCN5465

:wink:
  • holy moley!
  • You got that right Kevin.
  • I am running out of superlatives. Just jaw dropping modeling.
  • Good grief Robert...amazing interior details!
  • Totally amazing!!

Jerry
  • Holy Cow Robert!
  • Outstanding!