visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

R.R.C aka Robert's Railroad Camp

Comments

• Nice work
  • Stunning!
  • C’mon, this is the prototype, not a model, right?
  • This is really great Robert! Can you give a little breakdown of how you achieved the wood tones? I love the bleached gray color and the stone coloring is fantastic! What is Asphaltum?
  • Really....really....Nice....
  • Great work Robert. Look forward to seeing things come together.
  • Robert, excuse my absence. I really love the look you have achieved. Wow - mitered windows. I can't do that in HO, nor do I think I want to try. I will be following. Thanks. Phil
  • Stonework is awesome! Like the color and rough texture or the mortar.
  • Just beautiful Robert.
  • SteveCuster…Asphaltum is an Americana craft paint color ( similar to Floquil Roof Brown
    Terry
  • Thanks much Terry, I was wondering that as well!
  • Robert, fantastic work as usual. Please share diluted Bitume de Judée. ( Asphaltum) idea and what color of this material to use or may be one color for all. Most here have never heard of Asphaltum and where to purchase this stuff.
    Keep up your great work!!
  • Here is the explanation of the Bitume de Judee.

Judea bitumen is a fossil organic material made up of hydrocarbons.

Provenance: bitumen taken from Lake Asphaltite, in ancient Judea.

Use: to be used as an ink or a varnish. It is diluted in turpentine to obtain very beautiful patinas on gold and copper in particular, but also on plasters or as a coloring agent for wood. It can be used mixed with wax (encaustic patina), or oil.

In small proportion in the wax, it can be used to reveal the pores of the wood.

I use it as a wash. Very diluted otherwise everything turns to brown. Look for it in the art suppliers / art-restorers department.

But I explained this a few times before.... Same for the wood coloring... browse thru my discussions.
    We should have an inventory of techniques and materials on this forum where everybody can add things . Perhaps an idea... :wink: Would make it easier to look ..
  • Robert,

Thanks for the response to my question about lighting. Different types of light can really effect colors and tones. There can be pretty dramatic differences between full sun light, open shade and diffused light. Takes some advanced planning to set up for these situations, take the photos and then evaluate which gives the best results. I am often in to much of a rush to do this planning myself.
    For many years I exclusively did B&W landscape photography using a gray card and the Ansel Adams Zone System. But digital photography took all the fun and artistry out of it for me. Now I am very lazy and just use my phone to do the work.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Thanks Robert for your detailed explanation use for Asphaltite.
    I located a small bag (.57g) of Bitumen Asphaitum for $7.00 on the net.
    Will check it out and experiment.
    :smile:
  • Robert, I agree with your comment to add an inventory of techniques and materials and maybe suggestions where to purchase certain items on this forum. Great Idea!!!
    It is difficult with most here including myself to find what was said by others on some techniques and material subjects stated weeks ago or even months/years ago.
    I do try to write things down when I run across a great idea but tend to forget at times..lol .

Again, keep up your great work!

Pap
  • oops, I just found the Techniques Catagory...dummy me..lol
    Maybe you can add your Techniques like the one we are talking about there Robert.
    Just a thought.
  • Difficult to come up with an unused supelative so how about phenomonal?
  • Indeed Mike !!

I cant wait to see Roberts 'twist' on this great kit.
    As always his finishes and presentation are unique, so,
    I'm looking forward to his next post.
  • Looking forward for new pics and techniques.
    Keep it moving Robert!!
  • We're moving Pappy, we're moving... Here you can see the walls of the shed that is supposed to be placed next the office building. For some dark reason, the door has been closed with a chain... Wonder what went on inside...

The tarpaper is placed , not directly on the laser cut cardboard, but I placed boards first. Lovely detail seeing them through the worn tarpaper...

I also made the bookcase/shelves for all the papers/files/invoices etc. Yes, I know, eventually very little will be seen of that. That's why I didn't detail more. . Yes, the office building will be fully equipped.. :wink:

Working on the roof now. More weathering when placed in situ.
    More soon.

DSCN5432

DSCN5434

DSCN5435

DSCN5436

DSCN5439

:smile:
  • edited October 2021
    Glad you didn't detail the bookcase!!!! I'm sure you were kidding us on that statement.

Love the tarpaper look.

Jerry
  • No Jerry, I wasn't kidding. I thought of printing actual book covers, but that was a bridge to far in the end. Like I said, very little will be seen, and only by the good observer.....
  • Great technique on the tarpaper
    Terry
  • Robert.
    The books are great as is everything you get your hands on. .....Carl.
  • Very Nice work! The door handle is very cool.
  • Superb work Robert, as we have come to expect!
  • WOW Robert, the weathering on your walls is great. Nice work with the books.
  • seriously? books?