visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

R.R.C aka Robert's Railroad Camp

Comments

• The great ones always seem to come up with another better than the previous. You never disappoint Robert. Simply amazed.
  • No words!......Rick
  • Robert! Holy cow dude!
  • Just marvellous. I love watching your process. And what fantastic results!
  • I think the mouse really makes the scene...
  • Outstanding as usual.
  • Fantastic Robert. Must be a collection of automotive repair manuals...
  • Brett if you look real close I think that they are Tutorial's on building SWSM by Ken Karns.
  • hah! You're most likely correct!
  • Rarely I am speechless, but what can be said other than "More!"
  • Rarely I am speechless, but what can be said other than "More!"

indeed. i bow before the master.
  • We have the best modelers here on the planet. I will catch up someday before I die..lol :smile:
  • I finished the roof of this shed. Some repair patches can be seen ...

As you can see, I put planks on the lasercut cardboard, even on the very small overhang on the underside of the roof. All perhaps small details, but they do matter to me and they give the build just that little extra....

Like the previous build, The BSC, this kit are also three kits in one... These kits offer much more than first meets the eye. Great as they are, but there is so much potential in them for the creative minds....

More photos later on ...

DSCN5440

DSCN5441

DSCN5443

:wink:
  • Robert.
    Outstanding work i need to sharpen my skills
  • Simply outstanding…
    Terry
  • The little details really make a difference. Your coloring and textures are really exquisite!
  • Fantastic !
  • Great weathering and details Robert!
  • outstanding, the texture on that tarpaper is amazing.
  • For the tarpaper, I use paper handkerchiefs, like kleenex or similar. Of course you don't want to use the edge where usually some kind of print can be seen.

I paint this with diluted Dark Grey from Humbrol. I believe that's the same as your Floquil brand. ( Diluted with mineral spirits) This I do to make sure the paint penetrates the fibers very well. I don't use black . ( The tarpaper isn't new on my roof)

Then I hang this to dry , if left on the bench, it will stick and you will tear it apart when you remove it.

The structure of this kind of paper is perfect for imitating tarpaper. It is also soft enough to make folds and wrinkles or even damage it where it must look totally worn.

After it is glued to a base, roof or whatever ( in my case I always put boards underneath) with white glue. Not to thick so it kind of penetrates the prepared handkerchief. At this stage, you can shape it over, around the base.

When dry, I use chalks and/or pigments to give it the typical colors of worn , faded tarpaper. I even let some alcohol run over the surface so some of the chalks/pigments penetrates the nooks and crannies of the roof surface. Newly patched pieces can be a little bit more black than the rest.

Well, and then, it is a matter of perhaps color it some more here and there, add some moss or whatever you want it to look like.

Just painted.

DSCN5449

Here the paper is hung against the light to see better the structure.

DSCN5450

That's all for todays lesson folks... :wink:

• I always like the look of your tarpaper Robert. Thanks for the little tutorial.
  • Beautiful wood and roof work...love how you take your time and put the work into these base steps that set the tone for the entire rest of the project. Nice tutorial as well.
  • Always like your tarpaper. Been using this method since you pointed it out to me. I have a slightly different way to get to the end result but gets there none the less.
  • Fantastic stuff Robert. Thanks for the tutorial.
  • Thanks again Robert for this info. Going to buy some paper handkerchiefs and experiment..Keep up your great work!!
  • Meanwhile, I work on the roof...And at night, we close the curtains...

DSCN5452

and make sure everything is in its place in the chest of drawers. Remember, this photo shows it much magnified.... It is 0,9 " large.. :wink: ( part of the office interior)

DSCN5447

:smile:
  • HE DID IT AGAIN NEAT.
  • Robert....Fantastic work!! as usual
  • Wouldn’t surprise me if that darn Robert has the drawers operational
    Terry