visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

R.R.C aka Robert's Railroad Camp

So, after building another brass locomotive, it is time to get an unbuild SW kit out of the cupboard... A few are left and I decided to pick this one. The Railroad Camp. No special reason for that, they are all great. Anyway, as you would have expected from me, it won't be a build straight out of the box. We'll see what's gonna happen. I can say that more of the stone walls will be seen. They are such great castings, but in the end more than half of them are hidden, so I will change that for starters...
Speaking of starters, here is the first wall , a wall of the office. Just to get in the zone....( as they say it these days... :) )
Pics taken inside, so not 100% color correct... But you'll get the idea.. :)

DSCN5422

DSCN5423

to be continued...

Comments

• Nice coloring and texture....since I don't have this kit....are these board on board claps?
  • Always look forward to your work. There’s a lot to absorb. Thanks for doing this.
  • So happy to see you posting another build. Looking forward as always. Great start on the wall......Rick
  • Hey Robert, I assume this is an O Scale build? Covet thy wood detailing!...sets the stage for all else...nicely done.
  • Nice coloring Robert.

Jerry
  • Looking forward to the build
  • Cant wait to see more pic's. I have pre-ordered the Ho version.
    So I will be following
    Keep up your great work Robert!!
  • PERFECT AS USUAL ROBERT.
  • The board joints are look great…Looking forward to following along with this one
    Terry
  • This is going to be a great treat to follow along!
  • Looking forward to following another great build.
  • My first opportunity to be in on the beginning of one of your great builds. I know I’ll enjoy the ride.
  • Front row tickets for me too, please! :)
    Lovely start!
  • And Robert, I will be following along also
  • I am so glad you are doing this one Robert. Your models elevate the bar for sure.
  • It seems there are some 'fans' in the audience.. :blush: So I guess I need to continue...

The other office walls. More weathering when assembled of course.

DSCN5424

DSCN5425

DSCN5426

• Beautiful coloring!!!

Jerry
  • Perfect joints on window frames!
  • Robert,

You can bet we are all watching with great interest.
    Did you take this latest set of photos outside?

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ

/
  • Great coloring and texturing. The window frames are mitered perfectly. Not an easy task.
  • Dear followers... :smiley: Dave, these pics are taken with daylight. NO altering in the photoshop !!! :smile: And for the mitering, of course you can always f**k up, but with the cutting templates provided in the kit, (actually , in all the kits) one really has to be a dummy... :smiley: to not get them right. But yes, one has to keep his wits on these constructions. And I also use magnifying headset lenses.

And for the coloring, I'm going for that greyisch/silver/faded look. At least for the upper part, this part, of the office building. As you'll have noticed, no knots in these boards. It's not a barn nor a shed, so better quality boards were used.

Man, I love doing these kits.... :wink:
  • I enjoy hearing the artist’s “back story” that describe why they did what they did (it’s an office, not a barn).
  • I want to give you another tip on how to make the perfect miter joint. When you cut the stripwood, you always press the wood fibers down a bit. Even with a new single edge razor blade. So this gives a minimal inward undulation which can give the impression that the seem doesn't close. Even when it does. . At the back, on the other hand, this will give a, albeit small, bulge. Now if you connect these two backs together, they will fit perfectly. Of course you have to get the angle right, but the templates from the kit take care of that.

So far today's lesson kids..... :smiley:
  • edited October 2021
    I just love the subtle coloration and faded weathering. So natural appearing.
  • Now that’s a tip I can use! Thanks for sharing.
  • edited October 2021
    While the paint on the window frames dried, I worked on the stone building. This is actually the ground floor of the office building.

From the beginning, I was fascinated by the resin 'stone' wall castings. The first thing that came on my mind was "I'm not gonna hide these beautiful walls." According to the original building plan, half of them are hidden by walls of connecting buildings.

So , for now I don't have an alternative arrangement of these buildings, but I'll work something out. I do have some ideas floating in my brain... Managed to do so with the previous build, The Blue Sky Company. So, no worries....

Here you can see a wall with the opening for a window, actually it wasn't open ,but one that wouldn't be seen in normal circumstances . I thought it gave me the opportunity to put in some planks . A nice detail..

So resin turned into stone... A short summary of the modus operandi...

After fitting the walls into each other, I glued them with epoxy. Then all the seems were filled with a kind of mortar. Then every single stone was painted with several tones of colors. I used about five different colors and with these I did all the paintwork.

When dry, a wash with very diluted Bitume de Judée. ( Asphaltum) And finish off with some chalk and pigment powders...
    More later...

DSCN5428

DSCN5430

DSCN5431

DSCN5429

:wink:
  • ROBERT.
    THIS IS BETTER THAN REAL LIFE YOUR WORK IS OUTSTANDING.
  • The best stone work I have ever seen. Phenomenal!...Rick
  • The best stone work I have ever seen. Phenomenal!...Rick

i concur
  • Unbelievable work! Some of the best stonework I've seen!

Jerry