visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Sawmill Complex On30 Module

Comments

• It was a great convention and an absolute delight to be able to see this masterpiece in the flesh!
  • Thanks Mike, comments appreciated...Joe
  • Congratulations Joe, you really did a fantastic job on this. Beautiful work.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl....Joe
  • congratulations on your well deserved win. And thanks again for the valuable reference here. I have started my machinery using this as a guide. I'm on page 2. I'll start a thread when I take some pics.
  • Thanks Bryan. I look forward to following along with your build, I'm sure you will have fun.

_Joe
  • I completed building all of the machinery that comes in the sawmill machinery kit except the log turner, which needs to be installed in the joists of the mill during construction. I decided to lay out the machinery the way Joe did. The width of the machinery line (with the log deck and log haul) is about 30 inches. At one point, Brett told me the approximate dimensions of the sawmill would be 18” x 22”. That length would not accommodate the log deck/haul. The sawmill pictured on the SWSM website excludes the log deck/ haul. Instead, it has a log roll at the front of the mill with four beams that the logs are rolled on into the sawmill. I recall having a conversation with Brett in which he indicated that the log deck/haul is used if the logs are loaded from a log pond via a log ramp and that the Sturgeon’s sawmill did not have a log pond, which I would like to have. Brett also mentioned that he would like to work the log deck/haul into the sawmill plan because it is such an interesting piece of machinery (I agree). But, I do not see how that can be done without lengthening the sawmill. Any thoughts?
  • Depending on where on your layout this building is, a "slice" would work to give the flavour and not use all the space you have for a layout. I have done a lumber retailer, manufacturer, and an oil retailer by doing some of the building ( a "cut-away view" ) and or some of the physical plpant. The building hardest part was doing the partial rafters.
  • This is a really special day for me and all the forum members who have been waiting in anticipation of Brett's shipment of his new SAWMILL in O scale. I received the shipment last week, but being out of town didn't have a chance to open it and take pictures until now. It is just incredible as prior photos have shown. All the components are of excellent quality as we have come to expect. The documentation is superb, although I haven't examined it completely. The Construction Manual- WOW. I could go on and on, but lets post some photos and give you a look at this masterpiece......Joe CCCModOn30

• Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Hey Joe were ready. Let the build begin.

Jerry
  • Awesome news Joe, this is going to be fantastic to follow your work on this kit.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Alan, Jerry, and Karl- this kit is going to be a lot of fun. I don't model much during the summer months, but hope to get started on the base segments. My sawmill will be supplied with logs from a pond, so I need to build the sub floor and set the dimensions of the log pond and where the log haul ramp needs to be placed. The last photo shows how large this floor will be..... Joe CCCModOn30
  • Like the forum shipyard builds, I think you might want to look at your pond bottom being your base and put your sawmill on carved Styrofoam??
  • Joe, I can't wait to begin seeing your posts and photos. Your earlier work in this thread is breath taking. I need to restudy it and then watch closely how you deal with this ongoing work. Please include great detail.

Respectfully,
    John
    Seattle
  • Hi Alan: The new log pond is being fed by my old log pond from a module that was built 5 years ago. I want to keep the water levels about the same as the modules will almost always be tied together. The kit is designed to be fed logs by rail (or truck?). Mine will be fed by a log haul ramp coming out of the log pond. We'll have to see how it all shakes out. Thanks for your post....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Hi John: Nice to have you following along. I look forward to member comments and recommendations, and appreciate your kind words.....Joe CCModOn30
  • My first love is logging railways so your thread is right up my alley!!!
  • Thanks Alan and don't forget Bryans build of this sawmill on the site; should be awesome. Joe CCCModOn30
  • edited November 2014
    Hi Everyone: Monday 11/10/14 was big day for me, as I officially started on the sawmill structure. I'm happy to see gray clouds and colder weather which starts my serious modeling for the winter. My start involved inventorying supplies on hand versus Brett's lists of what is required and ordering the difference. Not exciting but must be done. I really hate having to stop a project for lack of material (chalks, paint, etc.).

The two sawmill modules are coming along. The modules are built, track is installed, wired, and tested. I have been working on 2 side pieces to add elevation and hopefully interest. I'll attach some photos... Joe CCCModOn30
  • Bring it on
  • Great to see you back at this Joe, prepare yourself for a lot of fun and enjoyment. Keep us up to date so we can share it with you.

Karl.A
  • Will do Karl, I've been looking forward to this for a long time....Joe CCCModOn30
  • I received the chalks I needed, so it's time to grain and stain the Mill sub-floor wood pieces. Everyone has their own technique on graining the wood. I took a photo of the tools I use. Take the time to do a great job as these details will make a good model into an exceptional model.

The staining was a new process for me and I was a little nervous. Simply scrape the chalk (in this case Rembrandt raw umber #408.5) over the wood and apply rubbing alcohol to the pieces with a soft brush. This is the system recommended by Brett and it works great. I had a train show this past weekend, so all I got accomplished was staining the floor pieces.....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Are the pictures posting? May just be me - I've had something funky going on wig my iPad ... :)
  • Thanks Karl: Am I doing something incorrect while posting photos? The photos show up on a list under attachments, but don't show up full size......Joe
  • Joe, after attaching, you need to insert the photo.
  • Joe,

Wow, that is looking GREAT . . .

John
  • Love the staining Joe. Your off to a great start.