visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

the "official" Show off your SWSM 3D Printed details thread!

Comments

• Since Emery posted his amazing detail work on his Blacksmith 3D set, thought I'd give a quick illustration of the versatility of these wonderful SWSM 3D details. With a little careful work, I modified the stock small HO Scale forge which will be part of my "Logging & Tractor Repair Shed project I'm working on. The first image (photo1) is the backside of the forge with no modification other than the styrene strip glued to the back (something I'm working on) and a primer coat of brown. The stock bricks of the forge are very uniform and convey a rather new look.

IMG_7661

(photo 1) This is the backside of the small HO scale forge. Note the new appearance of the bricks. The styrene strip is for an additional detail I'm adding...

I wanted my brick forge to have a well used and abused appearance to go along with the rest of the blacksmith shop I'm working on. The following illustration (photo 2) is the results of re-scribing the mortar joints deeper and carefully picking at each individual brick with my #11 blade to give a well used look.

IMG_7666

(Photo 2) Note the more worn and weathered appearance. The bricks will be painted and further detailing to come.

• Looking great Emery...I'l looking to do similar....I like the placement...
  • Thanks everyone. Ken, that is just bad ass!! I love the idea on this.
  • edited January 15
    You're killing it on those details Emery! It was a bit fiddly in HO scale to create the worn look, and I chipped off a few pieces larger than I wanted but the general effect is there. It will of course, look much better with the brick colored and weathered with pigments. Look forward to showing you what that little strip of styrene is for on the back!
  • Maybe Brett can add “brick by brick” to his “board on board” product line??
  • Wow this looks awesome Emery. Great job. Looking forward to seeing these once you place them.
  • Nice finishes on the details. Placement is always fun and interesting. So many ways to arrange things.
  • edited January 18
    Second one completed.
    sw006
    sw007
  • Excellent specimen! Stellar finish work.
  • Great job with the "regular" Karl.

Ken, that little forge looks fantastic. Great job with the modifications.
  • Outstanding Karl! You always have some of the best weathering.
  • This is awesome Karl. You nailed it on this one. The coloring and weathering is outstanding. Of course we expect nothing less from you here in the Sierra West forum LOL. Can't wait to see what you do next. Always a learning experience from me watching your model building. thanks for sharing with all of us.

• Ken I love the distressed bricks. Karl - fantastic tractor.
  • Just finished my first Best 60 last night. This is w/out the roof, but I have another with the roof. You all have some great ideas which I hope to incorporate in my next Best 60 build.
    _GML2376
    _GML2377
    _GML2378
    _GML2379
  • Wonderful! Beautiful weathering. Love seeing all these 3D Printed kits coming to life.
  • great jpb pm the BEST! Really like the yellow. Your weathering is very well done.
  • Thanks for your kind comments Tom. I like the yellow too which was applied by airbrush. I did cheat a bit as I used chalk and Bragdon powders that have colors I find are great for weathering. Hopefully Brett will forgive me LOL. I've learned from your modeling so it is high praise coming from you. Have a great week.
  • Amazing! Superb weathering…nicely done.
  • Very well done sir.
  • Very well done...
  • Thanks, gentlemen. Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated. Coming from a group of esteemed modelers such as yourselves means that much more.
  • That is the way it should look great job. .........
  • Perfect weathering!

Jerry
  • This is some of the most realistic weathering I have seen on these 3D printed tractors yet.
  • Thanks Carl, Jerry, and Sdrees for all your comments. They are greatly appreciated. I'm learning from the best - all of you.
  • Wonderful looking Best, dirty and detailed, lovely.
  • edited February 1
    My 3D printed vehicle collection so far.
    Looking forward to doing the Fordson and Ford 600 soon.
    But first I have a Best60 to do for someone.
    Vehicles02b
  • That is a pretty cool collection you have there. The BEST is yet to come.
  • Looks really nice, Karl. You can put the HO TT in the flatbed of the O scale TT it's so small. Great job with the kits. The tractor weathering also looks really great. Wonderful work.