visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

the "official" Show off your SWSM 3D Printed details thread!

Comments

• Well done, buddy

Terry
  • Turned out GREAT! Will go well with the sawmill.
  • Nice work Jim! Nice 3D print from SWSMs
  • nice looking cylinder/valve eric.
  • Thanks guys, I'll post the whole set when finished. I'm really liking these kits, they are so well thought out.
  • Jim,
    Consider doing a "build" thread for the logging disconnects while working on the other sets.
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • "Consider doing a "build" thread for the logging disconnects while working on the other sets."

Dave, that's a good idea and I should have done that but most of it is already finished. I just have to glue them together and add some paint and weathering.

• Jim,
    Finishing and final assembly would be great to see, especially the assembly steps.
  • Dave, I'll see what I can come up with. If I can get some good "in progress" shots that make sense, I'll post them in a quick new thread.
  • Jim,
    Awesome. Thanks for your consideration. I look forward to your posting.
    Later. Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Jim,
    Acompli. Merci, mon ami.
    Neat tutorial.
  • Thanks Dave, I'm glad you like it.
  • Just got the Best Sixty in the mail (Brett is the fastest shipping man in Texas) and I kept wondering what it would tow? Found this interesting link with some vintage pics and thought I'd share with the class. Seems like they towed almost anything.

https://www.pjstar.com/picture-gallery/news/local/2013/10/18/vintage-photos-from-caterpillar-inc/398224007/
  • The first tractor I drove was a Cat D2 on the farm at age 6. They were manufactured starting in 1938. My dad jumped off and left me to take it to the shed.
  • Thanks for the post Travis.

Jerry
  • SW Best Tractor 1
    SW Best Tractor 2
    SW Best Tractor 3
    A little painting started...looking for not a brand new off the line...a little used and abused...with wear and tear....need to dull down with weathering....and yes....I did break off the seat back...the glue is drying as I type....
  • Thats just the first coat of main color....needs a second....
  • Great start Art. Knowing your weathering ability I am looking forward to the finished product.
  • Here we go! Nicely done Art, what a terrific print...love it.
  • Art would you mind listing the colors of paint you used? I like the color of the celenders. Thanks, Randy
  • Art, you didn't waste any time building this. Kooks really great. Looking forward to seeing the finished model.
  • edited November 2023
    NP Randy...the heads and cylinders are AV Vallejo Smoke, the body is going to be a medium gray Craft Smart acrylic....the engine details are Model Color basalt gray.....tracks are an AK oily steel....and once you see the next set....I add rust with the AK rust colors. I start is all off with Rustoleum Dark Gray auto primer.....my go to for all resin stuff....I think the flat black is just too black a tone...the dark gray is a very dark color, that adds shadows where I don't always get paint into....
    and Tom....I had to walk away from the mini modules I'm working on for a bit....
    And yes Ken...the details are over the top....my goal is to make it look well used....oily...and it may end up parked on occasion outside the tractor repair and blacksmith shop when it's not in the woods....
  • The first coat of the body color didn't cover well...it's getting another coat...
  • Thanks, Art. I look forward to seeing your finished tractor. Randy
  • Great looking start Art, nice colours and crisp definition so far.
    Looking forward to your next steps.
  • First off...sorry about the cluttered back ground...and the blur...but this is progress to this point.....still painting....a little rust done....no chalk as of yet or any washes....This...is a great kit....
  • edited November 2023
    T
    I'll have the roof done by tomorrow...and then stage a few good shots before I weather any further....it needs chalk badly....and yes...going to dirty up the tracks