visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O'Neills Fabrication/Quincy Salvage

Comments

• Thanks Bill, Thanks Ken.

Added some more details tonight, I'll post some pictures tomorrow when everything dries.
  • Amazing how the colours all blend perfectly. Nothing stands out too much but the detail is obvious. Great balance.
    Can't wait to see the completed diorama
  • Thanks Joel. I really appreciate the feedback.

I made some more headway on the diorama this week. The O'Neills portion is really starting to come together.

2017-01-25 001
    I added a whole mess of details to the tank recycling area. I also glued the drive-thru framework in place.
    2017-01-25 002
    Closer photo of the same area. The whole area is so well thought out, the cradle for dumping barrels is such a cool detail.

2017-01-25 003
    I put most of the details down on the other side as well. I also glued the drive under framework in place.

2017-01-25 004
    I added some more details under the addition area as well.

2017-01-29 001
    I wanted to have a hill between the 2 industries covered in trash, debris, bushes and weeds.

2017-01-29 006
    I'll be adding a whole lot more scrap and trash on the hill area but I'm trying not to
    use up all my castings till I have the main areas detailed.

2017-01-29 007
    Rear shot of the recycling area.

2017-01-29 002
    I shot of the front, I'm still working the area to the lower left.

2017-01-29 003
    I started to detail the area to the right but it's still wet and not nearly finished.

2017-01-29 004
    The drive-under roof is glued in place and most of the details are set. I still need to add a few signs to the posts.

2017-01-29 008
    This is the overall shot of O'Neills as it stands today. The whole front area is in progress.
    I added a lower small fence to add some variation from the tall scrapyard fence. I like fences because they set the boundaries of a scene and you can detail off of them and into the scene.

Thanks for checking in. I'm going to try to get the O'Neills portion of the diorama done this week.

-Steve
  • Wonderful Steve. Love how the owner is basically only interested in making money and not what the state of his yard is in. How cool is that last picture.

Do you plan to add a tree or 2?
  • Looks great.
  • Really looks good, love the extra detail.
  • Steve, excellent work. It really looks good and authentic. Phil
  • Thanks guys.

Wes I might add a tree in the salvage yard area. I have a hard time making a tree that looks good next to all of Brett's details.
  • edited January 2017
    Nice work, Steve. You've created a really cool rugged atmosphere in you're model. I can almost "feel" the work ethic! I love the scene in front of the fence on the slope, where nature is reclaiming the area and growing over the scraps and debris. The boards and stuff aren't "floating" on the scenery...they're being consumed by it. Well done!

One thing to look at is the roof panels (see picture 5 & 6). To me, they seem to be sticking up higher than what might be normal. I think it's one or two panels in the second row that are jumping out at me. Maybe it's the angle of the pictures, because I don't notice it in later shots. But, try this as a test:
    If you have a scale figure handy, use it to measure. If the panels are sticking up knee-high to a standing figure, that's probably too much.
  • Steve you can try Sterling Models for trees they are a bit pricey but real nice.
    Can you tell me where I can get the shingles that you have used.
    The whole scene is just outstanding nothing more than I can say
    Carl
  • Thanks Bill, I'll check out the panels when I get home. I haven't permanently glued it down yet so any adjustments should be easy. I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks Carl, I'll look into Sterling models trees. The shingles are made from the cedar sheets from Sierra Scale Models (no affiliation with Brett).

• Thank's Steve
  • Great job Steve. Love the weedy junked hillside. Excellent integration with Quincy...very well done.
  • Outstanding! You're doing such a great job bringing it all together...
  • Thanks Ken. I think it will really look cool when the Quincy yard starts to come together and I can blend some junk into the hillside more.

Thanks Brett, I'm trying to take my time and do both of these great kits justice.
  • Looks Awesome Steve. Thanks for sharing the photos with us. My favorite shot is Pic #7 with the tank in the background and the broken rail on the fence.
  • Steve,
    The amount of vegetation and the weathering make this business look like it is out of business. Nicely done.
    Mitch
  • Steve, just great modeling. Such attention to the details and bring it all together.

Geezerbill
  • Thanks Alan, Mitch and Bill.
  • edited February 2017
    Hello everyone, time for my weekly update.

I made some progress on the scenery around O'Neills and I'm working my way into the salvage yard area.

2017-02-05 001
    I still have some details to add but it's starting to come together. The taller boiler still needs a styrene stack.

2017-02-05 002
    This is one of the cooler scenes. Lots of great details in this kit. The pipe is brass from a box of pipe ends I bought off amazon. I blackened them with Jax Brass Black and dusted them with chalk.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006MZMHS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&p;sc=1

2017-02-05 005

2017-02-05 004

2017-02-05 003

2017-02-05 006
    I got a good start on the rear track-side area of O'Neills.

2017-02-05 007

2017-02-05 008
    The road leads into the salvage yard, Ill be adding more weeds and detail in the road area.

Does anyone know a source for scale chain? I looked at Michaels and A.C.Moore and I can't find anything that would work in scale. I know several hobby manufacturers sell it but I'd like to buy a whole roll of it.

Thanks

-Steve
  • That really looks great. Don't know of anywhere to buy chain in bulk. All the stuff I got comes in shorter sections around 18"-24"
  • An outhouse would look right at home back by the fence line.
  • Steve
    Have you thought about a store that sells costume jewelry they may have a small enough chain that is not expensive,just a thought.
    Carl
  • Thanks Bryan, I was going to build a small doghouse for somewhere on the diorama, an outhouse would be a cool detail also.

Carl, everything I found was too big or the wrong style.
  • Great looking scenic work Steve. Fence really defines the area and the light unobtrusive style of your fence works great for the amount you have. Splendid.
  • Steve, try this link, they say they sell full spools. http://www.builders-in-scale.com/bis/parts-chain.html. good luck and your dio is excellent. Very nice indeed.

Geezerbill
  • Thanks Ken, Thanks Bill. I'll look into the BIS chain, looks like he sells them plenty long.

Some more progress was made this week, I'm working all over the yard area each night but only for a few minutes so I'm having a hard time keeping track of what I've done since last week. Everything is glued in place and I'm just working my way around the yard area. I have a whole mess of car kits to build and a steam crane before I'll be anywhere near close to "finished".

2017-02-12 001
    I glued the storage shed in place. This is a overall shot of how everything ended up when finalized. I was really torn with the fencing, I made a wood fence to surround the yard but it really made it feel small when I installed it. I think I will leave it open and continue the yard a bit once I install in on the layout.

2017-02-12 002
    Took me a bit to place this building. I tried it at different angles but nothing seem right except straight on.

2017-02-12 003
    I made a small fence to sort of frame out the scene with the tanks. It didn't look right before adding the fence.

2017-02-12 004
    Tanks in place, I'm still working the area in front of the tanks. I'll be adding some oil stains etc.. around the front especially where the piping exits the tanks. These tank castings are great, the wood detail, the concrete detail. Brett really knocked it out of the park with these.

2017-02-12 006

2017-02-12 007
    I'm still adding quite a bit more details to the pit area. I've been trying to get creative with some details I can use as filler for this large space. I cannibalized a Central Valley Pratt Truss bridge kit. I started building it and realized it would never fit my layout. It's loaded with great detailed beams and iron plates etc..

2017-02-12 005
    Looking over from O'Neills. I still need to spend a bit more time on the cobblestone road getting it right.

Thanks for checking in. I still need to add the roof to the Quincy shed drive-thru and a few other minor details. It really feels like it's coming together now.

-Steve
  • Hey Steve, great looking photos. Just one comment. You mention you're in the process of working on the area with the 2 tanks. I assume you are going to still make some adjustments...but in case you dont see it, the 2 concrete pads seem (to me) to be sitting on top of your scenery. Make sure you fill in more of the cracks where the concrete meets the ground.

Thanks for sharing,
    Alan
  • Thanks Alan. I noticed that after I took the photos also. I'll add some more dirt around the base, the tall skinny one looks worse to me. Thanks for the input.
  • Steve pay no attention to Alan he is Picking on you.
    Good eye Alan.
    Carl