visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack. Karl.A

Comments

• Thanks Boss
    Such a simple technique (painting the blade while it's turning) that gives such great results.
    OM
  • Excellent work Kevin, the colour and effect on that saw blade is incredible.
    The rough cut siding really looks great and the colour on the door and hinges is very nice.

Looking forward to seeing the next steps you take with this.

Karl.A
  • Awesome as usual. Well Done.
  • Those hinges do look stunning Kevin. Looks like another one of those reaper paints that i need to order.
  • A few more pics of two walls just tacked together. The plank edges were done by carefully whittling the edges with a #11 blade. Use a very light touch and hold the blade at a slight angle as you shave of the edge. I colored the boards first with PH Martins sepia ink and alcohol which is mixed like a regular batch of A&I. The sepia just has a warmer brownish tone to it but A&I would be just fine. I brush various Rembrandt chalks into the wood using worn out stiff bristle brushes. Gold ochre mostly but also some raw umber #408.3 and a little black and burnt sienna #411.3. Use the darker colors along the bottom edges of the boards to give some definition. For this method I don't use alcohol or anyting else to wash the chalk into the wood. It is all brushed and blended dry until I feel it looks right. Thanks Brett for the gift of these Rembrandt chalks!!! They are so easy to use and very forgiving. Here are a few pics including some of the materials I use. For any of you reading this who are new to building SierraWest kits please have at it with any questions.

OM (Kevin)imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • I love it. I'm going to give it a try...on some scrap wood first of course
  • Fantastic Kevin! Superb modelling in every respect.

Karl.A
  • That looks awesome kevin. The idea of making the boards towards the bottom a bit darker i a really great idea and one I will definately use.
  • Nothing dramatic other than the fact that these four walls are actually glued together.
    I will probably be making another roof card because when I decided to go out the SW box with the different siding I changed the footprint slightly. The shingles are next so that ought to be fun!
    OMimageimageimageimage
  • I just can't get over how realistic this looks. The 3rd photo is my favorite.
  • edited December 2011
    Hey guys,
    I figured I'd throw in this info here while I figure how I'm going to do the shed roof.
    The other day my sisters photographer friend brought all his equipment over to take some pics of the Tool/Rigging shed. The pics you see are just the shots I took with my camera in hand using his lighting setup. Personally I think he over did it with the lighting and should have bounced the light more. Brett, what do you think? The two kits are squeezed on a space that is not quite big enough so things are a bit cluttered.

OMimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • The modeling sure is good.
  • Hey guys,
    I'm just about finished with the tank and platform so heres a few pics. I'm running out to do last minute Santa stuff so no time for SBS.
    Merry Christmas to all and have a Corona (or two) tonight!!

OMimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • I like it !!
  • Most impressive. I especially like the oil stain caked with dirt going down the side. What did you use to make that?
  • And the bolt heads on the wood? Great!!!!!
    Dwaine
  • More inspiring work Kevin
  • Thanks for the compliments guys. Bryan, for the oil stain I dab on Windsor-Newton water mixable oil (burnt umber) until it looks like a realistic spill pattern. I then use a small soft brush to lightly dab on some Rembrandt black chalk over all the area I hit with the WN oil. I think the effect is subtle and for more realistic then the uniform shiny black bands of goop that we often see modeled.
    Kevin
  • I'm looking forward to seeing the shack fully detailed and incorporated into the existing diorama... You know how much I like the appearance of the boards and recessed windows.
  • Shingling is lots of fun!! Not!!!! I cut the roof card in half and do one side at a time. I cut each shingle by scoring the wood with my coarse razor saw to give nice rough cut ends. I actually take each one in hand after cutting and burn the fuzz off. I know I'm crazy and nobody else will take the flame to the wood but whatever, ha ha. The wood is first textured then cut to size then dumped into the A&I. I pull the pieces out and dry under a hot bulb for a minute. When you do it this way there are no ends to touch up after. Further coloring comes after the roof is shingled.
    I made a wash of Floquil roof brown, grime and mud in equal parts cut with mineral spirits (Brian Nolan techniques here). I brushed in some tan colored chalk while the roof was still a little wet. When dry I dry-brushed with some off white and tan colored acrylic paint. The few pics I took look a little too red so I have already gone over the roof with some darker chalk. I did want the roof to kind of blend with the siding so that is why I choose not to go with a more grey tone to the roof.

OM

imageimageimageimage
  • Looks very much like a real cedar roof.
  • The shingles are really looking great OM, colouring is nice and earthy and the rough edges really add to that worn look. I also like the deeper warmer tone of the shingles in contrast to the lighter and cooler siding.
    I know I'm crazy and nobody else will take the flame to the wood but whatever, ha ha.
    Hey now!! your not crazy, well, not too much..... ;~)
    And as you know from our previous conversations I also "take the flame to the wood" and have done so for a long time, even to the extent of using it for coloring.
    So, feel confident in the fact that you are not crazy, and you are not alone, simply one of the few. (that we know of).

Karl.A
  • If you went to a show and paid $20 for this little sled and tank you would be happy. What a great detail and it goes along with my approach that the separate parts and details that Brett includes in his kits should be treated as models unto themselves. Forget the track as this is just the the quick scene I made for the Blacksmith car. I just wanted to see this neat little item on some dirt. I will probably go back to the bench and touch up a few areas, add some indications of old grease and tone down the orange rust areas.

OMimageimageimageimageimage
  • Superb job Kevin. Cant say much more really.
  • usual high standards there buddy... very effective detail.
  • Thanks Boss and Wes, again these details are just a blast to do. For those of you who might be trying your first upscale kit like this if you look at these castings and parts as separate components the task of painting "all those castings" becomes less daunting. I find it very rewarding to approach a build in this manner.

OM
  • Thought I'd throw my version in here. Kevin's a tough act to follow. I didn't keep up with construction photos with this one so here's a couple of how it is now.

I'm going to have to re-do the left door as I got crooked sanding it and trying to fix it only made it worse. Also have a little of cluttering up to do around the workbenches. I'd like to have some newspaper trash around. What do you think would work best?
    imageimageimage
  • Hey Bryan
    It just doesn't get any better! Beautiful modeling all around.

Kevin
  • edited January 2012
    Kevin-
    your work continues to inspire. We're running out of different ways to say "awesome." I'm onboard with your "details are models, too" philosophy-- Little pictures that make up the whole painting. Whatever you used for dirt, it's got a very cool texture.

Bryan-
    well done! Way to go the extra mile and split up all that cord wood. I think that's one of those little details people will notice right away. Great job on the hoses on your acetylene tanks. One thing I spot right away are cables/ropes/hoses that stick up all over the place defying gravity. Not on yours, though. Very good.
    As far as newspapers...personally, I wouldn't at this point. I get more of an "urban" feel when I see scraps of newspaper. When I see wood cutters, I think backwoods and forests...a long way from anybody's paper route.