visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack. Karl.A

Comments

• edited March 2014

And your face if your so inclined.

Outside of that your work is always top notch!!

Jerry
  • The tarpapered roof looks fantastic and thank you for the explanation and pictures on how you do this. I really like the welding mask too!
    Jim
  • Thanks Jerry and Jim, appreciate your comments.

Karl.A
  • Great as always Karl!
  • Karl, really enjoying this build. Really want to build this kit, but since it is out of production that poses a problem. Although, I have found one on e-bay and am biding on it. Hopefully I will get it. Of course this build, Brett's handbook, the other builds will be my "bible" for it. Keep at it. Anxious to see the finished product.

Dave
  • Karl, the tools look amazing. How about a close up of those.
  • edited March 2014
    Thanks for the comments guys, a nice little boost for me.
    Dave, I originally started this back in 2011 so I'm also anxious to see it finished......
    Coors, the tools have only been blackened and a base coat of paint on the handles so far, but I'll take a quick pic tomorrow for you. As usual, Brett's castings are so good that they look amazing at 'step 1'.

Karl.A
  • Thanks for the blow by blow on the tar paper roof. I wish I had done that on the 6 pole shed in retrospect. Oh well, I'm sure there will be other tarpaper roofs in the future. The valve handles are great on the tanks - never thought of that.
  • Karl, it looks like you are close to putting this all on a base.
  • Indeed John!!
    Actually, it has all been on a base (painted brown and ties glued down) for about three weeks, well, since my last update. I'm still finding it hard to make that 'final push' and in reality it's only a two day push.
    I need to go back and read the "Dirt, Details and Dioramas" thread to remind myself of a few things and ultimately how easy/quick it is to finish off. Keep nagging at me 'cause until this ones finished I'm not pulling anything else off the shelf !!

Karl.A
  • OK Karl, you've got until 12:00 noon on the 24th of this month (over a week) to post your final pics of this thing. If not, we're comin over there! How's that for nagging?

The open shed roof looks fantastic! Ken
  • The doors open and there's a beer in the fridge for you Ken...

Seems like a fair deadline to me, thanks for the kind words, and the 'push'.

Karl.A
  • Karl, I'd only come that far for several in the fridge AND a steak on the grill!

You get yours done in a week and I'll follow with mine the week after.....

Ken
  • Karl, your work is inspiring and I find your "tips 'n techniques" as well a the pic's very usefull.

Paul
  • Karl,

What...no comment...afraid I'll actually show up aren't ya?
  • Thanks Paul, I appreciate your kind words.

Several and a steak are within the realms of possibility Ken.

Karl.A
  • Hi Karl,

I am glad to hear that I was not the only one 'slightly' unmotivated last month and how this forum members help you/us into the light.

As usual, your build here is exceptional.and makes want to model in O scale if i was not so invested in HO kits from Brett.

I like the tearing of the tar paper; have you ever thought of just tearing the raw unpainted paper and the spraying the pieces after? I think it could/would give better colour variations to the strips, especially if different tones of spray paint were used.

Marty
  • Hi Karl

Its been such a treat to come back and see the brilliant work you have completed so far. Im loving this thread buddy. Keep it up.
  • Hi Karl,
    How is the finishing work on the diorama going ? Everything you have done is exceptional on this build. Looking forward to seeing those superb final pictures you do on your builds. Always a real treat to see and helps all of us to be motivated to do some model building.
    Jim
  • edited April 2014
    Thanks for the comments Marty, Wes and Jim.

I finally spent some time yesterday finishing off some things that I had been 'putting off'...
    Rafter tails are installed and I have finished work on the details except for some can labels to add.
    With all the work done now I can start putting it all together, the base is prepped and everything is ready to go down.

As usual there sure is a bunch of stuff in Brett's box, ..

Added some of the smaller details to the half empty benches as per instruction
    and following the pics in the manual.
    Having these individual small items separate from the main casting is an incredible
    way of modeling these items. Not only because of the versatility this gives you but the
    crispness and realism in the positioning of the items just cant be matched with everything cast in place.
    Another ground breaking innovation in detail modelling from Brett. Just superb.

Close up of the tools for Coors2u. These have just been blackened and buffed as per the technique created by Brett. The handles have been painted a wood colour. They will get dirtied up with chalk as I place them.

Karl.A
  • Beautiful job on those castings Karl. And the shack is pretty dam good to.

Jerry
  • Karl, that is fantastic. I really notice the cutting edges on the axes - wow!

Respectfully,
    John
  • edited April 2014
    Karl, excellante my good man! love the shack, siding color and finish...perfect and the roof blends so nice....I see you pulled a fresh sock from your sock drawer..pre-stained and everything...Ken :)
  • Thanks very much for your comments Jerry, John and Ken, I appreciate them.

Dirt work tomorrow I'm thinking.....

Karl.A
  • Fabulous work Karl. The tools look great. I had to take a second look at some of the crates they looked so much like wood.

Dustin
  • Also noticed the wrench propping the window open is a great touch.
  • Love it Karl. great work and inspiration to us all.
  • edited April 2014
    Thanks for the comments Dustin and Alan, great to have you along.

This is the bare bench that you would receive in the kit. (The one in the kit however would be a tinted resin, this is Bretts yellow casting master).

The genius and beauty of having the details produced like this is the flexibility and individuality it gives each modeler. Not only are the smaller items much easier to paint separately but each modeler can use them to their own taste.
    A highly cluttered and detailed work area or a more clean and tidy look with just a few details placed.

My own workshop/garage is constantly cluttered with tools, cans, scraps left over from the last project.... etc. and that's the way I like to model, high detail.
    Brett has again taken a giant leap in the way details are produced and provided to the modeler, opening the door even wider for the modelers creativity. A perfect balance of cast-in-place and individual items is fantastic to work with.

I added 14 individual castings to my bench, (which is more than you get in most other kits, haha) I basically copied Bretts layout from the manual pics, so no creativity there from me.

Karl.A

• Wow, Karl. This is all really impressive!

To me the way you have brought out small details and minute features on the separate components and on the main castings and then arranged everything to suit your taste clearly demonstrates the practical difference between modelling in HO and O scale that you, Brett and others talk about.