visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack. Karl.A

Comments

• Does look a lot better, Thanks.

Brett, Karl, thanks so much for the comments and help.
    dwaine
  • What color paint do you suggest for the shovel handles and for the wheelborrow handles?
    everything I have seems eather to dark or too light..............dwaine
  • tanks looks much better...

handles - try flo earth and then once dry a little chalk powder (darker) applied with your fingers to darken the tip - roll the handle between your thumb and pointer covered with chalk
  • WesWes
    edited August 2011
    Hi guys

Im slowly making progress on my build. Ive attached some pictures and id like to hear your thoughts.
    I Still have to complete the tank.

As always i look forward to your comments.
  • Colours are nice and the building colours differ which is nice.
    Something in window to show it is held open ?
    Some contents spillage on tank support platform / frame ?
  • edited August 2011
    Great colours on the roofs Wes.... did you rework the shack roof or is it the different lighting??? It really looks good!!

Not all windows needed something to hold them open, there was apparently a time when they did actually work as designed.
    Personally I rarely use a stick or anything else to keep them open. At the timescale I model they would all be in pretty good working order and fairly new.
    Of course every now and then I'll throw a wrench in the works, just for perceived visual interest and appeal.

Good tip on the oil stains Alan, definately some oil spills/drips/stains will be appearing for me when I get to that point on my own construction.

Karl.A
  • Thanks for the compliments Alan and Karl.

Still need to complete the tank and the oil stain will definately be put on. Im kind of leaning towards Karls idea that the window is in good working order and doesnt need to be proped open. Things might change once ive cluttered up the front porch.

Karl i did rework the roof with a light AI wash then some gray and light brown chalks. Tried to blend it all together a bit more. I prefer the look now.

I hope to get the main structures glued to the base tonight. The missus is away for the evening so i have the whole night to model.:)
  • My version of the sled. Did not know how long the shaft should be (I did not cut it) and whether i should put a gear or drive belt pully on the end.
    Am also going to try put some corrugated tin over the fill hole.
  • Not bad Dwaine. I like the colour variation on the tank. My only suggestion would be to to tone down the red and the blue of the 2 barrells. A quick dusting of some weathering powders should do the trick.
  • Thanks Wes. I guess i did leave them a little shiny.
    Really like the way your roof turned out..............dc
  • wes: awesome job roof, sawblade, door, windows.... sum total kicks butt - terrific job. i am looking forward to seeing the details pull it all together

dwaine: yeah - too shiny but the overall fell is great - just dull those suckers down with chalk and rub alc.....
  • Here is something other than just cutting a piece of green paper and sticking it behind a window. The shade is a piece of tracing paper that I folded over then unfolded. I wet a piece of thread with dilute white glue and layed it in the crease, brushed on dilute glue on the paper and folded it over. It dries in a couple of seconds under a hot lamp. Dust on some chalk to dirty up the shade. Go over the edge where the thread is with any dark shade to hi-lite the "wood slat". A little piece of thread for the pull and that's it. I'm sure certain people will tell me the cord is out of scale so I will use finer thread next time. This was just a fun little 1/2 hour project to come up with something different for a window shade.
    OMimageimage
  • This looks great, terrific yet simple idea. Perhaps a cord made with a bit of fine wire (appliance cord strand?) with a round loop on the end made with needle-point tweezers?
  • Hi guys

Im calling this one finished. It was my first Sierra west kit, and i loved it. Bretts instructions are by far the best I`ve ever used.

Let me know your thoughts.
  • Very nice. Well done as it all fits together.
  • Very, very nicely done Wes. Hard to believe it's your 'first'. Everything really looks great, colours and textures are superb and the whole scene feels very natural.

Karl.A

The round base is also a neat touch and shows off the model very well, great job.
  • excellent job,and I do like the blind
  • Thanks for the kind comments guys. I'm looking forward to starting my next kit from Brett this weekend.
  • Wes-
    Congrats on a nice looking diorama! Your roof coloration is especially well done--an imporatant feature because that's what everybody sees first.
    You should be proud of your efforts!
    Which kit are you diving into next?
  • Thanks Bill. Much appreciated. My next build will be the O scale blue sky company from Brett. Can't wait to get going on that.
  • The O scale BlueSky is an awesome kit to build Wes, you will REALLY enjoy it.
    Please feel free to post your build in the BSC thread I started a while ago. I'm looking forward to getting back to that build and having someone else to share it with will be even more fun. I look forward to following your work.

Congrats again on this great build.

Karl.A
  • You right Karl. I've had a look through the box , and there is so much to build. I'll be sure to post my progress pics.
  • Even the trail around back. Wes, you did real good!!!!!!!
    Just arrived for my birthday (Happy Birthday to me!) was BlueSky. Like you Wes, I am really looking forward to this one. Looks like it should keep me out of the Pool Hall for some time. Karl, I have already started to glean information from your pics. I have learned A LOT from building the Woodcutters Shack and just hope I can carry it over to BlueSky.
    Look forward to seeing everybody’s pictures………….dc
  • Thanks Dwaine. Much appreciated.
  • Really a nice build Wes. Well done and I'm looking forward to seeing your next project come to life.

As I noted earlier, I'm making some light modifications to the kit to become a 'pump house'. Just a few update pictures of the project at this point.

On the pole shed side of the structure I have a insulated steam pipe and two air pipes. These pipes will be going to one of the mines on the diorama. The steam pipe is approx. a scale 6 inches dia. and the air pipes are approx 3 scale inches in dia. Flanges on the pipes is made with paper wrapped around the brass tubing. The flanges on the air pipes is .07 inch wide paper wrapped about once around the pipe. The pipes will be going into the side of the shed so that about a scale 5 feet space will be between the two structures, with the globe valves and piping between the two structures.

imageimageimage
  • Really some nice steam & air piping.

Jerry
  • A couple of evaluation pictures now that the lid is on the pole shed.

• looking good so far KP... I like the tarpaper weathering on the shed... The signs came out really nice as well.
  • Here are a few pics of the front wall. I used Reaper Master series #09124 Adamantium black to color the hinges. I got this color when I ordered a bunch of the other Reaper colors but had never used it. I thought it was just regular black but after trying it on the hinges I saw how it has a slight metallic quality to it. To my eye it gave the hinges the look of hammered black wrought iron hinges. I went over the hinges with a very very faint, thin wash of Vallejo dark rust. I think they came out really nice and in person they look even better. The sawblade that starts out as laser cut wood was done by pressing the blade on a conical shaped bit chucked in my dremel and painting it as it spins. I use a mix of Reaper tarnished steel and Vallejo dark rust. A really neat trick to get the circular marks on the blade.
    OM (Kevin)imageimageimage
  • outstanding as usual... the sawblade is perfect - really hard to believe looking at your pics that the blade started out life as a laser cut paper piece. That reaper paint is great and you exploit it perfectly...