visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack. Karl.A

Comments

• I completely agree with Bill.

The last picture is my favorite Bryan, it really conveys the scene very well indeed. Nice job.

Karl.A
  • Thanks a bunch Kevin, Bill and Karl. I have learned so much from watching each of your models progress.

Bill, my dirt is dirt from the backyard. Once you get below the topsoil here there is a nice clay/sand mix. I dug some up last summer and let it bake outside, breaking the clumps as it dried. Once completely dry I crushed it up and sifted it through a metal colander. To get finer particles I sift again through a tea strainer.

For the dirt here I started by painting the foam a dirt color. BTW the paint mixer didn't like it when I asked him if the paint sample I chose looked like dirt. While the 2nd coat was still wet I sprinkled on the dirt. Once I had placed everything and glued it down I sifted the finer soil on with the tea strainer so everything looked like it was set in the ground. I set this with matte medium.

The cordwood is from a butterfly bush. Love the texture on it's bark. Unfortunately it died this summer. I need to plant another one...for the butterflies or more cordwood. That wood chopper sure has been busy.
  • Some progress for the old slow guy!! Some quick dirt sifted on dry just to get an idea how things will look. Believe it or not a lot of the details are done and ready to go. I did the barrels with some very quick and varied techniques. On some of them I dusted on various chalks while paint was still wet. On one I gave it a drybrush coat of Polly s oily black and went on top of that with chalks. A couple are primed black, hit with hair spray, and chalk dabbed on over that, and finally passed under the mist of a shot of dullcote. The lesson is try a bunch of techniques and have fun. Here are some pics.

Kevinimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • The way you manage to transform these castings into something so realistic looking blows me away Kevin. Stunning work.
  • Inspirational work. Your woodcutter seems to be more of a jack of all trades with that anvil in there.
  • Usual high standards... Of particular notice was the box of spare parts (resin casting) between the sled and the loggers peavy - very well done!
  • A little experimenting here today so I need some minion opinions. I thought I might carry the rough cut look of the siding over to the open shed. I whittled a few of the sticks you sent me Brett and put the heavy beam on top. They are actually pinned but not glued yet. I think it has possibilities.

OM

imageimageimageimage
  • Kevin-
    The entire scene is truly amazing. So many details--the anvil and the vice=perfect; the texture of the burn barrel!! Wow! And I love the handle on the Peavy...the wood is worn from use and even has a crack at the top. Nice!

For your rough cut beams, I think the color and texture look fine but how are you going to connect them? I wonder if it's possible to fashion something that looks like a motise & tenon type joint with some wood pegs. Sort of like the way they would join heavy timbers in the lining of a mine or on a barn:

Just an idea.
  • Hey Bill
    Thanks for the compliments. As far as the timber joints go the verticals have tenons cut on top and then they are greased and hammered into the mortises cut in the heavy horizontal timber while still on the ground. Then the gang barn raises them in place. Sounds good to me. Actually Bill, as long as something I model doesn't look absolutely ridiculous I don't care very much if it's not totally prototypical construction. There will be side bracing of course and I think the finished shed will look structurally believable. I appreciate the input.

Kevin
  • Hey Bill, just so you know, each joint has now been pinned. I'm glad you gave me that idea.

Kevin
  • love it!
  • Fantastic Kevin, love the look of the posts/beams, rough cut and split...awesome!

Karl.A
  • Thanks all you minions for your most valued opinions. A little more fun today with rough cut boards.

KO

imageimageimageimage
  • Brilliant work, Kevin!
  • Damn fantastic Kevin.
  • imageimageimageimage

just some test pics.
  • Stunning stuff.
  • edited March 2012
  • edited March 2012
  • edited March 2012
    try again Kevin - let me know what you think of mine - of course yours are great!

• Well, it's been quite a while since I was in here so I figure it's time to brush off the dust and try to get this ball rolling again.....

Details, details, details....

It seems that I have misplaced quite a few of the detail castings in the last couple of years, or possibly used one or two else where. I'm sure they'll turn up tomorrow when I have a good look for them....... in the mean time I have plenty of others to get started on.

As always with Bretts castings the clarity and detail is exceptional and there is next to no (if any) clean up required prior to prepping.

Metal detail parts.....

Blackened with "a-west blacken-it"... ready for some judicial buffing.

Resin detail parts ready for painting, atleast the ones I could find....

"wooden" items primed with earth/tan colour spray paint.
    "metal" items primed with black spray paint.

Karl.A
  • Hi Karl,
    glad to see you back on this one, this will be my first kit to tackle this winter....my wife promises me some time after the holidays....I'm never sure that will happen......here's to hoping

keep up the great work and tutorials

Scott
  • As I mentioned in the past, you O scalers are amazing! Kevin, your stuff is just beautiful...great tips along the way as well. All you all in this group build are putting down some nice work. Love the tank on the wood crate casting! Karl, I see a sock fresh from the sock drawer....aren't you afraid it might alter the back side of those metal castings?:) Ken
  • Dang it Ken !! You've figured out one of my secret rusting and corroding techniques.
  • Yep that 'oil tank bench' is a great casting Ken, lots of fine detail and character.
    If you look closely at the first picture you can see that Brett even cast in some splinters !!

Karl.A
  • That guy is good! Great castings and wonderful treatment Karl. Keep the darn sock away from these...I think they're good as is! I'm really liking all the different tank casting Brett has done in both O and HO scales. I know he likes them a bunch and I can see why, he is masterful at these.
  • Fine work, as always Karl! You've got real nice subtle tones on all those little pieces in the boxes and on the shelves. They stand out but don't SHOUT out. What's really cool is the right hand corner of the bench just below the tank. Perfect coloring!
    I'm glad to see this thread come back up to the top. I had a chance to look back over Kevin's work. Man, the amount of talent he had!

At the last Expo he attended he brought along one of his walls similar to the wood cutters shack. I couldn't understand the way he got that rough-swan look, so he took me and Joel up to his room for a quick mini-clinic. He drug (dragged?) a straight razor along the board with the razor almost straight up and down--which caused it to "skip" and leave the saw banding marks. But he took it a step further by carving the edges a bit to give it an imperfect backwoods look. As opposed to boards that came straight from the lumber yard.
  • edited December 2013
    Thanks Ken and Bill, I'm trying out a few new things to try and improve my detail work. The bench has quite a bit more contrast in the wood than the pictures show, the bright lights blend everything, I did want a warmer red/brown but I started with the wrong base colour, maybe next time.

I agree Bill I spent a few hours looking back over Kevin's work when I re-opened the thread. He was a great guy and a very talented modeler, very missed.
    I'm not sure drugged and taken to his room is a good story to share.... :-)

Karl.A
  • LOL! Hey…everything was going fine until it got weird. Then, we focused on model building. Plus, it was Joel's idea!
  • Figures, it's always the quiet ones......