visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#304 O Scale BlueSky Company. Karl.A

Comments

• edited January 2021
    Thanks for your comments Rick and Art,
    Indeed Art, its always fun to get drawn in and find the subtleties, not many in this scene yet, but, I did dull down that yellow box on top of the cabinet that was bugging me, as I'm sure you noticed.
    Thanks for following along.
  • I'm still suffering from finding time to model and a drive to sit down and model. Even with La Vida Rona and all the apparent time....people keep starting fires and making me work....now that winter has finally set in in Jersey (12 degrees today) I'll be able to find time to get to work again on stuff...in particular those fantastic damaged drums I just got in that nifty bag....
  • edited January 2021
    I hear you Art, sometimes that motivation, and time, are elusive, but, they always show up and coincide eventually.
    Did you get that woodshop/workshop finished yet? I'm looking forward to trying my hand at some of those new details soon myself.
  • Karl, the oil pumps and the gas pump missing its glass dome.
  • I agree completely with your comment about trying new things. I can't tell you how many things I have re-done just to get it the way I want it.
  • edited January 2021
    Eric, the oil pumps are on page 5 with some other details, I'll be building the gas pump later today.
    Exactly Bryan, me too.
  • Great little tutorial on shading and blending. Thanks for this. Great work as always
  • edited February 2021
    Thanks Joel, sometimes its the little things.

Talking of little things, 7 coronas into a 12 on a Sunday eve and I decide to try and work on the tiny shit.
    I'm sure it will look great to me tonight, tomorrow might be another redo. ha
  • looks pretty good to me.
  • Thanks Kevin, the rust isnt showing cos I've got my main lights on and 'washing' everything out with the white background and now I'm not happy with the fuel gauge size, some adjustments are needed I think.
    Thoughts?
  • edited February 2021
    I made the gauge narrower/less intrusive and I like it better now... I can even still read the numbers through the glass with my strong glasses on...

to be honest this is back to the original gauge I printed before I tested it, and then I made it wider to make it more visible because I thought it would be better, I shoulda just stuck with my first instinct.
  • Your strong glasses are better than mine. I like your redos- I don't do them very often as I usually find my first instincts are better but I am not the perfectionist you are or as good a model builder. This thread is fun!

Speaking of "The little things" that is the title of a new movie I just watched on HBO Max with Denzel Washington. I must have dozed off as I didn't get the plot. I should have started my new model. Anywhere I look I won't be able to achieve anything near what those who went before me did (you, Brian Nolan, others).

It is hard to visualize how good some model builders like you are and then there is someone like Brett who also can concept them and then design them. Makes my head explode.

• edited February 2021
    Thanks Mike, kind words indeed.
    Ummm I came before you? lol, back when I first started modeling I saw your SWSM builds on RRL and dreamed of being as good as you one day.
    Also, I've been in your house and seen that wall filled with modeling awards and certificates remember, you are definitely one of the best and always an inspiration.
    Did you pick your next project yet? I'm going to be studying your "Main Street" dio closely for ideas as soon as I get this 'BlueSky' done and maybe get my O scale version of "Main Street" finished next...

• I like the fuel gauge added. Did you use the included acrylic tube for the glass or find a piece with thinner walls?
  • edited February 2021
    Thanks Bryan. I used the tube provided, it has a 3mm(1/8) hole, the gauge is about 2mm(5/64) wide.
  • A fine job your doing young man!

Keep up the great work!

Jerry
  • Thanks Jerry, great to read you.
  • A bottle cap filled with sand or ballast makes a great holder for supporting those oddly shaped little details while the epoxy dries.
  • That pump island is a diorama in itself. Love the weathering.
  • Thanks Tom, I got the mailbox done too,
    thats it for this side till the final go around,
    I think I'll leave the light pole until after I've done the roof stacks because I know I'll knock it over at least once.
  • The pump glass looks WAY too high.
  • edited February 2021
    No it doesnt. Do some research, its perfect.
    p04
    p05

To the ceiling, 8' tall without the sign...
    p02
  • I just can't find words to describe your work Karl. Absolutely fantastic......Rick
  • edited February 2021
    Thanks so much Rick, really appreciated.
  • These are old style gravity pumps, there was no pump other than the hand pump that transfered the fule from the storage tank to the glass. you paid for what was in the glass, then it drained into the vehicle. Thus, the pump needed to be tall to have enough pressure to flow into the gas tank of the car or truck. The gass in the cylindar had to be at a higher elivation than the tank it was to flow into.

Below is an intersting tidbit on the subject.

"By the 1915s, some visible gas pumps stood upwards of 10-feet tall. The cylinders were marked, by gallon, similar to a large science beaker. Beyond being a measurement device, these pumps demonstrated the clarity of the gasoline; at the time, customers became increasingly aware that pollutants in gasoline would harm their engine."
  • edited February 2021
    Great info Alex, thanks.
  • Karl.A said:

No it doesnt. Do some research, its perfect.
    p04
    p05

To the ceiling, 8' tall without the sign...
    p02

Ouch so very HARSH
  • I was wrong. You are correct.
  • Your fuel appears to be on E.