visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#304 O Scale BlueSky Company. Karl.A

Comments

• Progress!! Phil
  • Well crap !!! now I dont have any space for the diorama, I need another new desk !!
    Let the scenery begin...
  • edited January 2021
    that was a pretty productive 'waiting for the glue to dry'.
    damn....
    the model looks to be up to your usual standards. nicely done. i absolutely love the boards on the warehouse front wall.
  • Thanks Kevin, much appreciated, I have to admit they are probably my favorite (best) of this style too, (except for the originals), love the colors, texture, age and character.

I got the desk organised, scenery on one side, details on the other side, dio in the middle, (beer close by), time to pull this baby together.
  • kebmo said:

i absolutely love the boards on the warehouse front wall.

second that
  • motion carried...
    thanks.
  • I can't believe how fast you have pulled all this together with such fantastic results so far. Boy, am I slow in comparison. Great work Karl......Rick
  • edited February 2021
    Thanks Rick, but, dont forget I started this 10years ago, it was the second one off the 'production line', i think.
    The initial barn walls were weathered 10 years ago,
    details dont take me long, then most of my modeling time is just spent, sitting, staring, thinking...

Thanks for your kind remarks, I appreciate them.
  • Nice progress.

Never enough table space at this point in a build...that's why mine are always sitting on a bar stool.
  • haha Bryan, I've got three desks, but, always run out of space,
    I generally do all my modeling in a 6" square area, except for this diorama stage...

time for a break...
  • edited January 2021
    yes, I've fixed and adjusted the angles of the two pipes that are parrallel to each other dead center of the shot, any other touch up can be done when the glue is dry. Onto the next area !!
    Unless y'all see anything else I should fix ?
  • Textbook combination of scenery elements, castings and clutter, Karl.
    Plenty of visual interest with subtle colors throughout and you’re left with a believable scene.
  • Thanks Bill, I study your work alot and Alans scenery work on his Tombstone diorama.
    I like scenery in small areas like this.
  • edited January 2021
    Glue's not dry yet, and still white, but, you get the idea.
    Still touch up to do, raw fence post tops, corner trim on the clap board, flashing on the cookhouse, etc.

• Everything looks really great Karl. All the details really bring it to life. The horizontal siding next to the vertical really gives it character plus of course the overall texture and color of the wood is fantastic.
  • edited January 2021
    Thanks Steve, great to read you, appreciate your comments.

of course the horizontal next to the vertical siding looks so good because its Bretts design, I just followed the instructions .
    I'll take some credit for the texture and color, but, as you know, I just followed the manual on how to do it.
    2% my incredible talent, 98% following the manual.

• Karl, great scenery work. Of course I am a disciple of your Scenery tutorial. You are the master. Phil
  • Great scene Karl! Nice subtle colors and mixture of textures and use of details
  • Thanks Phil and Tom, I'm having fun with this one.
    Now I've gotta make up some produce crates that came in the kit for the cookhouse scene and move on with that area.
    Still struggling to find something I like for ballast so that can wait.
    More later.
  • Well, I got all my mundane, day to day stuff done for today, picked up a fresh 12, time for some more evening fun.

Progress as (if) it happens.
  • edited April 2022
    Got to say I love these little produce crates Brett provides in the kit, easy to put together and look awesome, perfect example of the combination of laser and real wood building that I love.
    Time to turn the corner...
  • Karl, I have always liked how you do your scenery and I try to follow your example. Instead of trying to detail everything at once, you work on mini scenes and work your way around the diorama. It’s a great approach and leads to more detail in each scene. Phil
  • love it! I also enjoy your desktop shots...
  • edited April 2022
    Thanks Kevin, Phil and Brett,
    I find it easier to concentrate on something small Phil, I get overwhelmed otherwise, getting each area basically finished gives me a nightly goal and sense of completion.

Thanks Brett, its been a long time since I sat here, its so good to have the desk 'in action' and 'organised' again.

The cook house area still needs 'something', but I'll come back to it, I'm not in the mood to be creative yet.
  • Adding that pinch of dark scenery material (under the crates and low areas near the fence) is so simple but really effective. Shadows, color contrast and depth all achieved from a simple application. You probably pointed it out previous builds but I thought it was worth mentioning.
    (That way people won’t have to learn it on the streets. Like I did. LOL)
  • edited April 2022
    Thanks for pointing that out Bill, always good to have you following along and spotting things with your excellent eye I forget to mention, layering always adds depth to our models throughout, whether it be, wood coloring/graining, detail painting, and now, as you point out, scenery.
  • edited April 2022
    I wanted an empty trashcan for a scene I'm thinking about. Went through all my kits and the only one I could find was the large one, I wanted a small empty one.

Unfortunately I dont have a fancy miller like Alex so I grabbed a small 'full' trash can and my dremel and went to work.

• Those pesky racoons got in the trash again...

• Gotta love those racoons. That was worth the effort to empty the trash can. One more reason we are waiting for Brett's 3D printed junk to be available in HO too.......Rick